Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

we found a cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by stevelcfc, Jul 15, 2009.

1. stevelcfc

stevelcfc PetForums Newbie

i have just aquirred a cat it just appeared in our back garden a lovely little thing,it doesnt seem to want to go.
    it doesnt appear to be misstreated but we fed it and it ate the food as if it were starving,i dont know what to do,i wouldnt like to let it go if it as got nowhere to go,but also wouldnt like to let it stay if its owners are going to be wondering where it is. what should i do any ideas

2. dipdog

dipdog PetForums VIP

take it to the vets to see if its chipped, maybe do some leaflets about her and put them up in your area, hope everything works out x

3. Gobaith

Gobaith PetForums VIP

MOst cats are clever little things and have a home from home, as its late.. take it in for the night maybe ? and then let it out in the morning to see where it goes. If it has nowhere to go.. trust me it'll be back for food lol. Put some found posters up in the newsagents or local shop.. Its in good condition so its probably loving the attention lol :) Good luck with whatever you decide to do

4. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

go to a vets and see if its chipped etc and also what sex it is. Dont post too much information on leaflets just post the bare minimum to try and relocate its owner and find a marking thats un-usual if it has one and ask the owner if the cat has any un-usual markings if they say the right ones then its there cat, theres loads of people who wiill respond for a "free" cat so try and make it as hard as possible for them to identifi it.

dipdog likes this.
  5. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

cats always have too homes cos they get two lots of food that way lol , cats although have a base always like to roam and even if it stayed for a while it may like to go back to where it came from and its your call , i would see if he wants to stay first and open door in the morning, dont feed or he might stay just for food if he goes he wants to go if he stays then feed him get him to vets to check for chipping and put some posters up, i know its tempting to keep it but may be quite happy where it usually is, my cat has been known to go walkabout a couple of times but always comes home in the end usually without his collar!!!!

6. staceydawlz

staceydawlz PetForums VIP

what colour is he she?

7. stevelcfc

thanx everyone for the advice wll see how it goes
    i think i want it to stay,but my daughter as got 2 cats and she would be devastated if they stayed out for the night
    i will give her every opportunity to go and see what happens
    thanx again

8. stevelcfc

a really dark brown/black with blonde bits

9. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

I have to agree with Dkdream on this one if you feed a cat it will stay even if it has a loving home, there could be many reasons it turned up at yours for example it could have been out with a safety collar on and got spooked, i find safety collars come off too easily if a cat runs through a hedge i have lost 17 collars in my garden in the last few months thanks to the cats playing in the bushes. contact the vet and post found cat notices with minimal info

10. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

Tabby but dont tell people, just put location found, have ya looked at his teeth see if he looks young

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice