Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

We called the police out last night!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sezzastar, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Sezzastar

Sezzastar PetForums Senior

Yesterday evening I could hear this dog barking and barking, for about an hour it went on for. I mentioned it to my OH and it soon stopped barking. Well we went to bed at 11pm and it started again and carried on until midnight, it sounded in distress and we were worried and annoyed so we called the 101 number. :sosp:

My OH explained to them and the lady said she didn't deal with calls of noise complaints but he explained we were worried as it was so unusual for the dog to be barking as we have ever heard it before, she was really uptight but he explained that there MAY be a person who is hurt and the dog is barking, she had to go off the phone to get some advice then agreed after that an officer would come out.

Meanwhile the dog carried on barking for another half an hour, then it stopped. The police turned up around 1pm and by that time it was quiet. My OH let them know which house it was coming from. (Its a small static caravan just to the right of our garden, and we have had trouble before with this house with the residents being out past midnight having a party WITH their children, I think its a summer let or something)

The police Officers went and banged on the door, a bloke answered and they asked him if he and his dog were okay to which he replied yes. Then off they went.. :eek: :eek: :mad: THAT WAS IT!!!! Not even a "there has been reports of your dog barking constantly".. Nothing!!!!!!!!

I was ramping and I hardly got any sleep last night!!!! :mad2:

The system is so corrupt.

2. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Nice of them to give a crap about an animal in distress being ignored.

3. gem88

gem88 PetForums VIP

thats not right. they should have checked, i'm sure they're meant to.

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

At least the police turned out. When one of my mother's neighbours called them because they thought something was wrong, it was only after another call several hours later that they sent someone round. My mother had had a stroke, and was lying on the floor with the toppled electric heater on her face.

She recovered to some extent, but had a burn scar for the rest of her life.

5. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Next time you should tell them it is a baby crying non stop and nobody taking any notice. Then they will go and check. You can always say it sounded like a baby, hard to tell with that barking!

6. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

That is awful. I hope you put in a complaint. I was once asked to feed next door's cat when they were holiday and the first day I came home from taking the kids to school and saw that their front door was open. I phoned the police and they were round straight away.

Seems that they hadn't shut the door properly when they left for their holiday, but the police were adamant that I didn't go and have a look.

7. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

If it was just next door, why didn't you just go round and ask them if everything was ok because you can hear their dog barking constantly? Polite but lets them know theres a noise problem.

8. Sezzastar

They are not very friendly, once they were out around 1am smoking and drinking outside and my OH politely asked them if they could keep the noise down, all he got was a mouthful of abuse :mad: Its also on the outskirts of a gypsy camp.. we have only been here a year but have recently found that out Probably explains why when we have rang the police about said situation they refused to come out!

But next time it happens I will go round myself, I'll be scared. I was thinking maybe I'll take Ozzy with me but wouldn't want anything to happen and him get into trouble. Their dog may be DA...

The thing that gets me is that dog must have barked/whined/pined continuously for around a total of 3 hours all evening/night and the owner was there all along and let it happen, it wasn't just an odd bark or a low whining, it was full on. I don't get it, they must really not give a s***!!

9. Sezzastar

Thats a good idea! They would be there within 10 minutes then wouldn't they.

Could tell the PO was annoyed at being called out to check out a 'barking dog'!

10. Sezzastar

Thats awful, part of the reason why we rang the police. We have never heard the dog before, just that day he started, didn't even know they had a dog. So we were worried that maybe something was wrong.

11. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Well don't put yourself in a dangerous situation - I didn't realise they were like that. I've had to go to neighbours houses in the past to say that we can't sleep through their noise, but I live in a fairly normal street :)

12. Sezzastar

Yup, they'm a bit dodgy :rolleyes:

I will still go marching over if it keeps happening, since the police won't be doing anything! Will see what goes on tonight.

My street is fine.. could go and ask anyone to keep the noise down, but this place is to the back of us on 'private property'..

13. ebonyblack

ebonyblack PetForums Senior

I would be careful doing that, make sure that you're safe. Whereabouts in cornwall are you?

Hope the dog is okay :(

14. Sezzastar

Im in Bugle.. (I hate saying that cos its sooo rubbish here, i'm from Newquay originally)

I hope he is too.. :(

15. Hiafa123

Hiafa123 PetForums Senior

You need to contact the Environmental Health Dept at your local council...they deal with this type of nuisance. They will give you the best course of action and of course log the complaint.

we got knocked up a couple of weeks ago at 1am by the police asking if we had a key for John next door. His friend ( who lives in Birmingham) hadnt been able to contact him and had been concerned as John has a dicky heart and diabetes. The Friend had rang the police at 6.30pm and this was 1am

Anyway it turned out JOhn was in bed, fine. His house phone had been playing up and thats why the friend couldnt contact him.I did say to the 2 coppers that this was 1am and the call was made at 6.30pm, he would have been well dead, which fell on deaf ears.

16. Sezzastar

Awful isn't it. The PO was told that we rang up and complained about the dog barking the night before..! We was like "NO, tonight, why would we ring up to report about a dog barking the night after it happened?!".. communication problems there.

We will see what happens tonight... Got to go to work now! :(

17. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

I'd personally make a diary of when the dog is barking and how long the dog is barking for and hand that over to environmental as evidence. I'm no expert, but I believe different local councils have different ideas on what constitutes as a nuisance. I believe here it's like 3 hours or something, the reason is when I first got one of mine as a puppy he would howl during crate training/when he was shut away for about 20 minutes at a time and the neibours said he was howling all night.

18. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

Its a bit like when i had to call police on our neighbour who kept playing very loud music till 4am every weekday and had all the local idiots in her house.
    Police wouldnt come out as it wasnt there job to deal with noisey neighbours :mad: so oh had to ring back and tell them they were all fighting outside the house..they wasnt..;)
    police came out asked them whats going on they we could here the police laughing and joking with the idiots lent left them too carry on with the loud music..wtf :eek:

Went on for weeks we have young kids & babies so OH went round walked into their house 'they had no idea music too loud' he put the plug in the kitchen sink & turned taps on..left their kitchen to flood..:D:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice