UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow at 1pm is my Uncle's Funeral.

I've never been to a Funeral and am feeling very apprehensive:/
It's the thought of having the Coffin literally just infront of us :(

Dad is doing the address ( speech) and my Brother and two of my Cousins age 18 & 25 and all doing readings.

To top if off i have an awful cough - stocked up on Cough Mixture, Cough Sweets,Tissues and a water bottle. If i have a coughing fit i can't exactly walk out ( due to being at front of Church and not near an aisle)

:(:(

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
really sorry for your loss.
your family is very brave doing the speeches themselves.

try not to worry about it too much, it really isn't as bad as you think it's going to be, funerals are a really nice way to remember the good times and say a last goodbye. I never look at the coffin, just try to block it out and focus on something else, and if you do start coughing nobody will mind, these things can't be helped.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Sorry for your loss :(

You will be fine hun, take each hour as it comes and try not to worry about it too much before tomorrow. Remember to eat in the morning because people wont want to be picking anyone up off the floor!
Just remember tomorrow is a celebration of his life and the memories he has left you all :)

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss.
Don't worry about the coughing - sit near an aisle if you can - you can leave the church if you need to, I've seen people do it for that very reason. Usually there are ushers at the doors and they can help you slip out if necessary. So don't let that be a worry to you.

Hope it all goes ok, my advice would be to remember to breathe and relax your breath. If there are hymns - sing even if you don't really like that sort of thing. Singing regulates your breathing and relaxes your diaphragm, making you calmer and able to cope. Listen to the words of the funeral and regulate your breathing and you'll be fine and believe me, you will be glad you were able to pay your respects.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Dad's Parents want us with them by 11am - not sure what we'll do for 2 hours !

Dad and my brother have been practicing their address and reading, Mum ended up in tears, so it doesn't bode well for tomorrow.

Just hope it isn't too much for Grandma and Grandpa to cope with :(

At the end of the Funeral, all the young can opt out of being at the ( private family) burial -so that makes me feel a bit better.

They seem to be expecting about 300 People.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
wow 300 people, your uncle was obviously very well thought of.

I dreaded my nan and grandads funerals.. like you I dreaded seeing the coffin but it really isnt as awful as you expect it to be. It will be upsetting but you will have all your family around you and everyone will be feeling the same. Also it's your chance to pay your respects and say goodbye. Will be thinking of you tomorrow xx

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We've just got back from my Grandparents - all feeling totally emotionally drained, feel like we've been run over by a bulldozer

The Service was so special & jam packed, just under 300 people and standing room only.

Dad coped extremely well doing his Tribute, as did my Brother and 2 Cousins who each did a reading. My eldest Cousin age 30 did a solo " Lord Bless You And Keep You" - had everyone in tears, simply stunning.

Had three really uplifting hymns.
I couldn't face the burial so went sat in the car :eek:

Then they all came back to my Grandparents House for the Wake, there was a Tent up and a professional catering company did the food and drink

Was the perfect way to say 'goodbye' to my Uncle - and i know that he would have loved it :)

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Glad it went ok for you all, it sounds like your Uncle was given a good send off.

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
I can imagine how you feel.
I went to a friend's burial this afternoon. He was quite young, only 55, and he died of a heart attack during a reunion weekend with his student friends and their partners.

It was a beautiful ceremony, people told touching and funny anecdotes about his life, and they had a lovely location for a meeting of relatives and friends afterwards. It was so great, people having a drink and reminiscing about the great times they had with him...
It felt likehe could walk in and join any time. People were sad at the loss, but at the same time happy to have known him...

I never miss a funeral if I can help it, it is the last time you can really feel close to that person, and I love it when their loved ones turn mourning his or her death into remembering and celebrating his/her life.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So glad it all went well for you all.
How are your grandparents? I know you were concerned about them
Grandma and Grandpa are just amazing. Tbh Grandpa didn't really click what was going on ( when we arrivd thismorning he asked if we were all going to play golf) But when it got to the burial apprently he said a few words thanking the Vicar etc ( so somethings must have got through to him) bless him.
Grandma was just amazing, SO strong. She did have a little cry during the service but coped amazingly. Lots of her old friends came to support her & Grandpa, which obviously gave her greatt comfort

When we all arrived at her House at 11am she made Tea & Toast for all of us ! bless her.

Most importantly she was delighted with how lovely the Service was :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.