Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

wcmm in outside pond ( for summer)

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by Daruma, May 22, 2019.

1. Daruma

Daruma PetForums Junior

I have some wccm both Honey and silvergreen common wcmm in a community tank ( at 20* c 70*f).
    I would like to put them in an outside pond ( circa 60litres) until the temp drops too near the 40*F minimum.
    I assume I would have to acclimatise them to this lower tempreature outside( measured at 60*f this evening).
    And ,I suppose reverse the process to return them to the community for winter.
    I have a spare tank that I could leave unheated indoors to let them acclimatise.
    The pond , At the moment , sans filter and heater, I plan to care for with regular water changes only.

If this is do-able I would consider a filter and heater for a longer time use but would make that the subject of another thread.

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I have kept wcmm in an outdoor pond. They did well but were difficult to catch when the temps dropped. So whether this is a good plan it not depends on how easy it will be to take them out. Night temps can still be low so I.would check pond temps over a few 24 hour periods to.see if OK.

Daruma likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice