Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

WC commode good for flushing litter

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by bobthebadger, Oct 27, 2019.

1. bobthebadger

bobthebadger PetForums Junior

Im having to replace my bathroom as due to damp getting into the walls and the tiles are all going to be ripped out. As it is a 70/80s bathroom Im replace all save teh commdoe which is only about 5 years old. However, I have two cats that share a tray and on occassion the toilet gets blocked with waste / litter. It was blocked for a few days recently untill last night I peformed the especially nasty and laborious job of unblocking it manually. I have strong water pressure, but I know WC capacity is limited by law, but I was wondering if there is such a thing as a WC that blasts all its capacity superquick to give it extra force. Possibly not, but I thought other cat owners might have heard of such a thing.

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I never flush litter. Would never.

chillminx and buffie like this.
  3. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Oooh I would be too worried about flushing litter! :eek:

chillminx, lorilu and buffie like this.
  4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

There’s enough things being flushed down toilets that shouldn’t be which not only block your waste pipes but also the main sewer. Think of a fat berg that could be made with the addition of cat litter as well as wet wipes and the like that get shoved down and forgotten about.

Try living with a septic tank and you’ll soon find find out what can and can’t be flushed down the toilet.

Cleo38, NFC slave, chillminx and 3 others like this.
  5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Regardless of what is claimed by litter manufacturers flushing litter down the toilet is not a good idea as you have already discovered and as @Siskin has already said there is enough $h!t flushed down the toilets as it is without adding cat litter to the mess..
    Bag and bin it or if its compostable bung it on the compost heap.

chillminx, Siskin and lorilu like this.
  6. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I have a holding tank which has to be emptied about every 6 months. The only things that go into it are grey water from the kitchen and bathroom and sewage from the toilet. No toilet paper, as little grease and oil as possible and the same with the tiny bits of solid stuff.

Despite that a couple of years ago we had a blockage caused by a fat berg, which cost a fortune to dislodge!

7. bobthebadger

Fair enough regarding everyone's comments. I use flushable litter (the organic Cat's Best Oko stuff), but I think I might switch to non organic non flushable which is better with smells, and buy a litter bin. Will still flush cat feces down the toilet, but scoop the litter into a sealed box with a liner which can be emptied at weekends.

ewelsh likes this.
  8. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

The cat feces would have some litter adhering to it. Over time the accumulated non- flushable litter would clog your drains:(

lorilu likes this.
  9. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

I think a lot of water companies don't encourage flushing litter down the toilet, even if the manufacturers recommend it.

lorilu likes this.
  10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

You'll get clogged sewer pipes pretty quickly doing that.

11. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I keep a small covered bin in the bathroom so it's simple to place in soiled litter, wet wipes and any other Items which shouldn't be flushed.

12. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

I work for a water company, and I flush my Greencat plant based litter to mains drainage at home without any qualms :) I used to flush solids when using CatSan - although I only had one cat at that time. A few grains of catsan isn't going to cause any more issues than 'recycled' sweetcorn, or the tons of gravel, wild animal poo and other bits and bobs that wash into surface water sewers every time it rains. I don't flush it at Mums, though, as her loo does tend to get blocked in the U-bend for some reason.

Very unlikely in the UK, actually. If you have a lot of cats you may want to flush just the poo, but even with several cats that would be no worse than having a couple of human house guests, and the network can cope with that.

Obviously you shouldn't flush non-organic litter, but cat poo (and plant based litter) isn't exactly a million miles away from - er - the main purpose of a toilet when you think about it. Wet wipes, fat, oil, dental floss, human hair, feminine hygiene products and other man made waste are the main contributors to fat bergs, not biodegradable matter. Cat poo will break down the same way as human poo (I won't gross you out with details of that, but suffice to say I used to work in the sewer flooding department ;) ), and doesn't cause us any problems to treat. We'd actually rather prefer you to stop dropping pubic hair down the loo, please, as that is a NIGHTMARE to screen out... ;)

13. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

@Jesthar he states (see below) he is planning to buy regular litter and flush the poop. The poop will still have litter attached to it. Regardless of where in the world someone is, this is not good for pipes or the system in general, or the water quality. Whether he has septic or town sewer, it is not going to be a good practice.

14. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

As I said, I used to do that with CatSan, flush just the poo. It won't cause any more problems than the gravel washed off the streets - less, in fact, as it's less dense so washes away more easily, and breaks up with less force too. It's not perfect, but less of an issue than pubic hair, trust me! ;)

15. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

But ...I am not following your logic. It IS going to cause problems. Whether it causes more or less than other contaminants, what difference does that make? Logically, because of those other issues you mention, is even more reason to not flush "non-flushable" litter. Since things like hair may be unavoidable in the sewer, and knowing that many people probably do flush things that should not be flushed, why add to the burden with cat litter?

Of course if the OP has a septic system, then the only person he will be causing problems to is himself, when he clogs his system. :D

16. bobthebadger

Yes, exactly. I can understand why flushing even 'flushable' litter might not be recommended, although I have done for 10 years already without my pipes being blocked. The WC on the other hand does get clogged every 4 months or so when I'm in a hurry and misjudge the quantity of litter vs the strength of the flush, hence my original question. I sift the tray with the scoop and shake off excess grains which mainly drop through the cavities cut in the scoop for this purpose. Rationally speaking as Jesthar noted, flushing cat excrement with a few grains attached is not comparable to what a single human can leave in one go. As someone working for a water company I think I regard him as more authoritative than most, so going forward I will flush the waste and bin the litter.

lymorelynn likes this.
  17. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Apologies, I should have been clearer.

No, you should not flush non-flushable litter in bulk. But the tiny amount stuck to a cat poo? That is utterly inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. When I say it causes us no more problems, that is to say it causes us no problems at all. If ever that changes, I assure you I will let you all know. :D

18. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

That's not rational at all. It is simply adding to an already probably overburdened system. I also work in public service. In the finance department. And I know how much it costs a municipality when pipes get clogged or break.

19. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Just can't agree with that. It's irresponsible and remarkably non civic minded to flush any particles of non flushable litter at all. Imagine if everyone had that attitude that "just that little bit won't matter".. It would matter nightly quickly, wouldn't it.

20. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Stop eating sweetcorn, then ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice