Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ways to help stray cats in the area

Discussion in 'Cat Rescue and Adoption' started by hello101, Jun 24, 2017.

1. hello101

hello101 PetForums Junior

Hi all

I am wondering if anyone can advise on how I could help stray cats in my area and whether/how I could approach my local shelters for support? I see a lot of unneutered toms and a lot of scraggy looking cats and it breaks my heart.

I have rescued 3 stray cats myself, rehomed one with a relative and took the other 2 in myself, 1 was also pregnant. I have also been feeding another for a good year now, I think he may have been feral or atleast on the streets for years as he was extremely scared, scruffy and unapproachable. Over the past month he has become more approachable and even waits for one of my own rescues to come out and they will just lie together in the sun :)
    Also was feeding one extremely skinny cat who was also skittish and just a bag of bones but one day he jutst stopped turning up to eat :( I was too late in saving him it seems.

Of course I cant take them all in off the street and I appreciate shelters are full so I cant just expect them to take them all in either. It breaks my heart to see so many struggling cats on the street.
    They may not all be strays but a lot of them are still in poor condition and some with battle scars.

I'm not really sure where I would start, and if there are any other organisations which could help apart from shelters? Like foster groups etc. I dont have anymore relatives that could take any in, and I'm not on facebook either so I cant post on any pages for fosters etc. I have thought about TNR for some of them but not sure where they could stay for 2 weeks whilst they heal? Ideally id like to get then off the street completely.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Apologies for the long post and thanks in advance.

2. TallulahCat

TallulahCat PetForums VIP

Shelters may well support with TNR, especially if you were happy to feed them - they may even help to provide food. It would be good to keep an eye out for any stragglers who have got missed in the first round of trapping, including kittens or new cats moving into the area. Do you think other neighbours in the area might help? At the very least, they would need to be informed to keep their own cats in during trapping.

Usually TNR cats are released very quickly after neutering. They would probably have to overnight at the vets to check they are fully recovered. If a female has milk in she would usually be released the same day to get back to her kittens. 2 weeks definitely wouldn't be the norm.

3. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

@hello101 my advice would be to make contact with local rescue centres, Cat protection etc and I do have to say that local FB pages are an excellent way to network in these matters. Is there a reason you don't use FB? I have a friend who is deeply suspicious and wont use it but you don't need ever to post things on your own page so don't worry about privacy as long as you set up your privacy settings properly.
    I belong to several 'circles' starting with neighbours on my local streets who own cats themselves and know I do too. Next I know the CP group locally and can call on them for TNR and also participate on the local 'lost and found' pages or help out when sadly deceased cats need to be collected and taken to local vets ( I have one on my street corner) Lastly, I have links with a couple of local rescues who I can call on if I find a cat who needs rescue space.
    What area are you in, maybe other members here can help you with local links.

ZoeM likes this.
  4. hello101

hello101 PetForums Junior

Thanks for the replies, I am in the midlands area. I think I will contact cats protection and see what they say. I always dealt with the same lady for the previous rescues and I remember her telling me they are aware of a lot of strays/unneutered in this area.
    I think I may join facebook in the future just to be able to connect with some fosters etc.

I had been told previously to keep neutered cats in for two weeks, maybe thats just as a precaution?

It seems silly but most of the cats I regularly see are extremely similar, similar colours patterns eyes and even the sounds they make. I know it could just be coincidence but I wonder whether it could just be a particular someone breeding and neglecting. I don't know much about cat genetics lol but I recognise the characteristics as they are almost the same as one of the cats I have taken in myself.

Interestingly, considering the number of unneutered males Ive seen, and hearing potentially mating screeches, I never see any kittens. I'm not sure if this is normal in duch areas? Unsure what could be happening to them.

Thanks all

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice