UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my sisters 15 year old chi has picked up a infection from cats poop in the garden, she goes round and picks up the poop daily (she hasn't got cats only dogs) but one cat that goes there must have got a bug or something and now the chi has picked up a nasty infection, she's now got antibiotics and stuff to re-hydrate her (she's dehydrated) cos what she drinks comes straight out when she has the squirts (she might have to go to have a drip in the vets if the squirt doesn't stop), so anything (and i mean anything)she can get to keep bloody cats out of her garden

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Right do not do this without checking into it first but my dad used to put ammonia out to deter cats because they hate the smell (despite the fact that they smell pretty rankly of ammonia themselves). Cant remember exactly what he did with it and like I say I have no idea if it hurts the cats or dogs but that was what he used to do in the old days. And also no idea if it actually worked :eek:.

Googled it quickly myself and it depends where you look some say dogs hate it, some say it doesn't work, and some say it does so perhaps ignore that idea.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Gripper rods on fence tops,and under the soil,where it poo's.
Water pistol.
Wet soil seems to put them off,as they dont like getting muddy feet
They are a bl00dy nuisance.Sorry to cat lovers,but dog owners get fined for letting their dogs poo in public,where as cats can do it where they like,with no consequences.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Gripper rods on fence tops,and under the soil,where it poo's.
Water pistol.
Wet soil seems to put them off,as they dont like getting muddy feet
They are a bl00dy nuisance.Sorry to cat lovers,but dog owners get fined for letting their dogs poo in public,where as cats can do it where they like,with no consequences.
yes - but if a dog gets knocked down by a car it's an offence - if a cat gets killed it doesn't matter:mad:

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
i thought this was a pet forum for animal lovers - obviously i was wrong. the people who hurt cats are vermin - like the ones that burnt 2 of my cats faces with acid, shot another then swung her so vicously by her tail that it snapped in two places and smashed her face as she hit the ground - to suggest putting gripper rod in the soil is barbaric - if you were my neighbours i would be the one digging holes in the soil and putting ''sh*t'' in them:mad:
make of that what you want

·
Registered
5,482 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
i thought this was a pet forum for animal lovers - obviously i was wrong. the people who hurt cats are vermin - like the ones that burnt 2 of my cats faces with acid, shot another then swung her so vicously by her tail that it snapped in two places and smashed her face as she hit the ground - to suggest putting gripper rod in the soil is barbaric - if you were my neighbours i would be the one digging holes in the soil and putting ''sh*t'' in them:mad:
They shouldnt in someone elses garden:nono:
Hardly the same as burning your cats faces with acid,or smashing her face in :confused:

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Probably contraversial (and before anyone says anything I am a Cat lover the only reason I don't have a cat is that practically every member of my family is allergic) - I personally think cats should be kept indoors and in runs or escapr proof gardens.

If poosible put up a sloping inwards topper to the fence - you can get bespoke cat deterant fencing that the poles spin so the cat can't climb into your garden - if not the anti cat strips you get for the top of the fence.

I hope yur friends dog recovers quickly.

And the reason it's law to report a dog when it's run over is that a dog dshould be kept under control and if a dog causes an accident the driver can sue the dog owner for damages - where as cats have the right to roam and if thet cause damage to a car the driver has no compenasation.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
we don't want to hurt them, just don't want them shitting in the garden and making the dogs ill, my neighibours have cats and they are left to fend for themselves, they had the mange last year and the neighbour just left them, i had to buy stuff from my vets to stop my dogs catching the mange as did my sister cos her dogs come to stay with me when she goes out. i have also caught one neighbours cat trying to get in my bedroom window in the summer so i can't keep my windows open incase the cat comes in and pees or poops in my bedroom

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
Okay much as I am applled by the lack of sympathy for those of us who own different animals to a dog (I have one of those as well as my cats and chickens and fish) I simply can not condone the threat of violence to any other animal simply because you don't like a natural behaviour. There are ways and means to stop cats soiling your garden without resorting to animal abuse. Which is what you are doing by deliberately trying to hurt it either with gripper strips or setting the dogs on them. And just what would you do when the owner of said cat complained to the police?

The very best thing you can use is lion dung (obtainable online at about £5 of a couple of kilos) - once the cat is out of the habit of using your garden they probably won't come back.

Now my cats have never ever smelt of p*ss, are kept in and have an enclosure, and aren't vermin. The are clean, loving, intelligent and at least bury their poop and unlike my dog don't eat other animals faeces at every opportunity. I remember now why I rarely venture into this section. Such vitriol is unnecessary.

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Okay much as I am applled by the lack of sympathy for those of us who own different animals to a dog (I have one of those as well as my cats and chickens and fish) I simply can not condone the threat of violence to any other animal simply because you don't like a natural behaviour. There are ways and means to stop cats soiling your garden without resorting to animal abuse. Which is what you are doing by deliberately trying to hurt it either with gripper strips or setting the dogs on them. And just what would you do when the owner of said cat complained to the police?

The very best thing you can use is lion dung (obtainable online at about £5 of a couple of kilos) - once the cat is out of the habit of using your garden they probably won't come back.

Now my cats have never ever smelt of p*ss, are kept in and have an enclosure, and aren't vermin. The are clean, loving, intelligent and at least bury their poop and unlike my dog don't eat other animals faeces at every opportunity. I remember now why I rarely venture into this section. Such vitriol is unnecessary.
I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting hurting the cats - Dogs in the garden would stop cats coming in - and Bordie has a very black sense of humour I'm sure he means no malice.
Grippers are a word that gets used for these Fence and Wall Spikes - Strip £0.70 which I understand to be harmless to cats.
No one has suggested acid or burning or harming cats I'm not sure why the anger from cat owners :confused:
But even cat owners I know do everything they humanely can to stop other cats coming into their property ;)

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
In my experience, the only thing that worked was putting chicken poo down.
Haven't used any for a while, and saw my neighbours cat creeping away from our front garden this morning, and nice fresh pile of poo on the new bark. :rolleyes:

Also cat owners, I think most people are actually joking about setting their dogs on the cats. :)
There's a cat that keeps coming in our garden and teasing the dogs, so I can't let them out as one of them almost caught it when it was sat on the path. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
I do hope your sisters dog recovers quickly , sending my very best wishes.

I'm reading this with great interest as i'm up the the back teeth of picking up twice as much cat poo from my VEGETABLE GARDEN each day as i pick up dog poo in a week. One day i'm going to follow the wee buggers home and deliver their defecations to their owners for them to deal with... maybe next summer they'd like it on their salad like it was left on mine!

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
This system looks good - not sure how expensive it would be to install though
Systems

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
I havent seen a cat in the garden since one came incredibly close to being Diesel's dinner! Dont think he actually got it and it got away, but the gardens been quiet since! I guess kitty told all his friends!

How stupid does an animal have to be to smell the shite of a predator and still sit in the middle of the garden?

1 - 20 of 274 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.