Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Way outta my depth.

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by donnymacd2020, Nov 29, 2020.

1. donnymacd2020

donnymacd2020 PetForums Junior

Had my first litter 4 days ago and wow its intense. 9 pups from a chocolate lab. Sadly 2 stillborn and the runt passed last night.

Everything seems fine but got one wee boy who is constantly crying but think its food related as once separating him and mum to get a chance on his own he calms down

Is this the right thing to do and what is best temp to keep room at.

Tia

2. donnymacd2020

Have to add that I do love my CoCo and will ensure that every pup goes to a well vetted forever home.

(She will be getting dressed as soon as possible though after this.)

3. David C

David C PetForums Senior

The temperature in the room needs to be at least 22c and make sure they are well away from draughts. If hesbeung pushed out them let him have a good feed on his own from mum every couple of hours then pop him and him back with the rest of the litter.

4. donnymacd2020

Thanks mate. I ended up phoning the vet and he advised the same thing.

Appreciate the feedback though. Being responsible for these six little lives is such an awesome responsibility. I don't think I was as nervous with my two boys when they were born years ago.

David C likes this.
  5. Gina smith

Gina smith PetForums Newbie

Hi! I’m on week 7 of first and last litter. I’ve aged 30 years and my hairs falling out. Never been so stressed!!
    I found that the ideal temp was between 20 and 21 degrees. Any warmer and mum was panting-rushed her to vet thinking she had milk fever and it was just at 22 degrees the room was too warm-as each week went by the temp has gone down a little and I’ve found the pups seem to prefer about 17-19 degrees now.
    I have a litter of 6 and 2 kept crying. They didn’t like to be too hot or too cold. I have stayed up every night and that’s made monitoring easier-albeit more tiring. I found ocean sounds really soothed the pups when mum wasn’t there as it sounds like the womb. Really worked for me.
    I’d like to say it gets easier but I’m 3 days from them going and 3 have Diarrhea and now can’t have their first injections tomorrow abs got to notify new parents of the delay-which they will not be happy about. Good luck!!! Lots of Tea!!!

6. donnymacd2020

Hi Gina.

My Mrs is killing herself with laughter as what you have described is exactly me. (She works nights and I have them overnight.)

I have been on to a vet three times now. Dog and pups are all fine.

Thanks and nice to know the struggle is real and I'm not alone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice