Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Waterproof trousers help please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Jan 4, 2012.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

What does everyone wear in horrid weather to walk the dogs?

All I own are pairs of jeans and one very thin pair of tracksuit type trousers (that are for agility) so I need something to wear to walk them..

I am trying to have a look on ebay but all I can make it come up with are trousers to wear over normal trousers?

I want something that I can just wear, not over my jeans, just a nice warm and preferably a bit waterproof as I am getting sore legs wearing jeans when it rains! Lol

I have a jacket but it doesn't have a hood (thanks Dave when he was little) I dont really like hoods so does anyone also wear a nice ear-covering hat?

I have some spare xmas money that needs put to good use (OH is paying for my provisional and I'm getting the form tomorrow)

2. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

If your looking on ebay,you want to be in the outdoor clothes section,type in walking trousers or hiking trousers and you should be able to find something there.
    Not all will be waterproof,so you need to read the descriptions,even look in the skiing section as most of those trousers are waterproof,they will also keep you warm too.:D

3. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

Craghoppers winter lined trousers or any of the berghaus waterproof stuff will be good. Both can be found on amazon.

4. Grace_Lily

Grace_Lily PetForums VIP

I wear ski trousers that I got for an absolute bargain from a nike outlet a while ago, they were about £8 each but knowing how good they are now I'd pay anything up to £50 for some more. I feel the cold really badly, but these keep me nice and toasty. They can't be tumble-dried, so I have two pairs that I use on rotation while one dries out.

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I have a pair of waterproof trousers that were quite cheap from an outdoors-y shop (Blacks or something). They're only thin, but I wear a pair of woollen tights underneath and they work great :)

6. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

I love my Berghause stuff but have recently bought some items from Milletts (have a silly price sale going on). Their own brand stuff Peter Storm seems to be comparable.

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I guess ebay not the best place to look for me all the ones I like are the wrong size :(

I am short so ones that fit me waist wise are too long, grrr! Maybe I will have to go to an outdoors place shop.

8. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

If you can get to TK MAX they have a lot of ski stuff in and outdoors stuff,their ski stuff should be going on sale soon.:D

9. SophieCyde

SophieCyde PetForums VIP

I have water repellent adidas trackie bottoms :eek: they look a bit chavvy but they do the job :)

10. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

another vote for ski trousers! I have 2 pairs, one from lidl, and one from a shop in a ski resort we stayed in

11. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

My dogs hate them but I just wear my cycling rain suit over normal clothes..
    Cheap and waterproof yes...
    glam or trendy no!

Attached Files:

12. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I won't go into all the walking and wet weather gear I own...being a geek it is quite a lot!

In terms of a warm hat that cover your ears, I do have one of these: ZP 176 FOLD DOWN HAT

I got it cheaper than on that website and there are probably some in the sales too.

13. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

Look for stuff labelled goretex and u cant go wrong. Ski trousers might be too puffed and padded for walking. Look for something warm, waterproof and light.

14. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

Did you go out in the monsoon yesterday? ;)

After having to peel my jeans off I'm thinking of looking into waterproof cycling trousers.

15. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

My son gave me a pair of golfing trousers and they're excellent!!! No bulk but warm, waterproof and breathable. Again not all are waterproof but def recommend. The bottoms arent too big either and can be zipped/velcro'd nice and tight to go into wellies or long enough over walking boots so water runs straight off.

Will be looking at hat suggestions!! Nabbed a great golfing jkt too but no hat!!

16. Wyrd

Wyrd PetForums VIP

I wear waterproof full chaps (they are a horse riders thing).

Mine are fleece lined and very waterproof. I hate being soaking and then having to take your shoes off with wet trousers and then your socks are soaking and you have to try and get through the house.

Chaps are great, you just zip them over your shoes and trousers, and then when you are wet unzip them and you are dry underneath :thumbup1:

17. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

It hasn't stopped raining since! :rolleyes:

I think I will start off with tk maxx and if that fails then get my mum to order me something from sports direct as an early birthday present :lol:

Like the look of that hat! I have a knitted one with ear flaps but I dont like it very much...

18. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

It is lovely; really warm, repels water and the peak keeps the rain off your face :thumbup1:.

19. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

I consider myself to be an expert on outdoor waterproof clothing, as I work outside from February until December, and have done for over 20 years now!:rolleyes:

Anyway, the Gortex is the name you should look for, it's breathable and waterproof, there are special washing instructions and a lotion/liquid to use in the washing machine - do not use Persil or Ariel etc. as this removes the waterproof qualities.

I find with hoods attached to anoraks, it is difficult, if not impossible, to hear anything going on, so I prefer hats, like Dogless, I like a peak on the front if the weather's throwing a hooley, but I have Sowesters (sp) Deerstalkers.

I personally don't like ski-ing pants, just me, I much prefer overtrousers and have many pairs, again, Gortex, Berghaus, North Face are the best - again, just my opinion, but I've had many over the years and these seem to be the best and most efficient of keeping wind and rain out. Nothing worse than rain falling off the end of your anorak on to your jeans, and ending up with wet knickers - I can tell you !!!!!:D:D:D

20. Tollisty

Tollisty PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice