Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Waterproof dog coat for use with harness?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Doyley, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Doyley

Doyley PetForums Member

Sorry if this has been posted a load of times - I did a search on the forum before posting but it was all old threads that came up and the links on most of them no longer worked.

I'm looking for a waterproof jacket for my dog and would love to hear any recommendations from you guys.

It doesn't have to be lined, fleecey, warm or anything like that....it is purely to stop her getting wet (like a pack-a-mack for a person basically :D).

She wears a harness whenever she is out, so it needs to be able to be worn with a harness somehow.

Cost is also a factor, ideally looking under £10 if possible :eek:

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

You won't find anything decent and waterproof for £10 unfortunately.

Equafleece are brilliant (the harness can sit over the top) but they aren't cheap.

3. Doyley

Doyley PetForums Member

Thanks for the reply, I have read a lot about those on here and they look great, but not really what I am looking for.

Ideally want something that the water will just run off.....like the material that an umbrella is made from for example......sorry, I am being less than clear :oops:

Perhaps £10 was a bit too ambitious haha!

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I have the Three Peaks waterproof coats from Pets at Home. They have no padding or filling, so can be worn in Summer on wet days too.

They're about £13 each. I've had mine for years, they've worn them in the heaviest of rain and they've never let a drop through.

I use the harnesses over the coat.

Doyley likes this.
  5. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

Doyley likes this.
  6. Doyley

Doyley PetForums Member

Perfect @Rafa that's exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

There are loads out there but knowing whether or not they are any good is another story and that price is not far off what I had in my budget.

Thanks again!!

7. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

To the OP I know you are sorted...which is great . It's definitely worth asking for reviews here.

Just wanted to point out for those who may now be discouraged about equafleece...that they may get waterlogged and heavy as a dog wears them...they don't! the analogy of repelling water like an umbrella is exactly what equafleece do!

Doyley likes this.
  8. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

If you have a small dog you can join Isle for Dog Boutique Facebook page. They have some coats with harness holes for £8 plus postage. I got a coat with a built in harness from my local pet shop for £6.

9. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

For a raincoat we have a Hurtta Torrent...brilliant and fits a harness and fleece underneath. Not cheap but will last for a very long time.

10. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

£5.99 in B&M DBB1F702-E8CF-4D53-840D-C24004CEBD3A.jpeg

We needed something really thin and lightweight because Phoebe gets far too hot in normal coats. It’s lasted well over a year now, been washed countless times and still looks like new. It’s thin enough that a harness could go on over the top too.

FAW56, Doyley and Lurcherlad like this.
  11. thatbullieboy

thatbullieboy PetForums Newbie

We're on the lookout for the same for our Bullie who has to wear a harness. Like the thought of an Equafleece as we'd be able to put the harness over it and they're waterproof/washable. Bit pricey but I'm sure we'll go this route.
    One of our boy's best pals was sporting a very natty quilted, waterproof coat the other day. Caught my eye because it had a hole for his harness. TBH, as lovely as it was (not least because his 'mum' got it in a sale for £7 - down from £25+!), it did sort of just 'sit' on his back and moved around a bit.
    Not sure if it has any reasonably priced coats, but I buy our boy's harnesses from PetPlanet - very nice, and very cheap. Worth a look maybe?

Doyley likes this.
  12. tealover

tealover PetForums Junior

At the mo Oz has a PAH one, which has a little zip on the back for the harness ring to be pulled through.

It is fine - keeps him dry on top from neck to tail so just needs head, tum and legs all wiping. Fits well, wasn't expensive at all. Fit for purpose.

Doyley likes this.
  13. Doyley

Doyley PetForums Member

That also looks exactly what I was looking for @Nettles thanks! I will definitely be looking at these at the weekend too :)

We just needed something for her that will keep her dry but not provide any insulation to keep her warm, like you say, ours too gets very hot when running around. It's also ideal that it can just be wiped down and hung out to dry after use, rather than having to keep washing it because with our mutt it will be filthy :)

Nettles likes this.
  14. Doyley

Doyley PetForums Member

Sorry.....I certainly didn't mean to discourage anyone from going for an equafleece :oops: it's just nor suitable for what we need.

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice