Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Waterproof coat that's not too warm recommendations please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GoldenShadow, Aug 22, 2013.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Rupert's fleece is a bit too thick to just keep the wet off with temperatures as they are at the moment. His overalls are fleece lined and a bit too warm too. As he has sensitive skin he gets very itchy if damp and so I like to keep the wet off completely.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a super lightweight/thin coat that I could get for him?

2. Nicki85

Nicki85 PetForums VIP

3. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I bought a thin rainproof coat £12 (from Greyhound Rescue) and stitched in an inner cut from a thin fleece from Ikea (the ones that cost a couple of quid).

I find it exactly right for rainy, chilly days as on it's own the rainproof is not enough. I put it over a thick fleece when its really cold.

I've looked at off the peg ones, but they always seem too thick, which is too much unless its really cold.

5. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Was just about to post that myself.

We've gone with the more expensive option of having Hurtta Pro rain coats, they're not cheap at all but they're the ones that most fit my requirements. I was dithering with the thought of putting Jack in a rain suit as he is a pain to dry, especially his tail feathers but OH said no. OH also said that I wasn't allowed to get any other rain coats cos Hurtta Pro look Cool as.. and then he used a swear word..

6. GoldenShadow

:laugh:

I do quite like the look of the Hurtta. It looks a bit snug over the head though and the old lad doesn't like things around there. Too many years of ear problems. Maybe its not as snug as it looks. Off to Essex Dog Day on Sunday, maybe they will have some coats of sorts to look at!

7. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Sorry OT - is that this Sunday? Not heard anything about it this year.

8. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

From what I've read and had a look on the youtube videos (I have to see things on dogs before I buy them) it's only snug after you've put them on, cos of the drawstring. Mine don't normally like things over their heads but they prefer it better to stand in things.

9. GoldenShadow

Yes it is, 25th! I only know because I searched to find out if it was on, as you say not been marketed as such this year. Its at Crix again. Babycham and I are going, taking the golden bears I don't know about her little 'uns. :)

He will have stuff on his head but he's very unhappy about it. His Julius K9 goes over his head but its quite loose and doesn't actually touch his ears when it goes on. Similarly his current coat the chest strap is loose enough that its a very loose slip over the head job.

Could you let me know how they fit on yours, too? I see you said you were unsure how to measure :)

10. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Great, thanks. Wonder what the turn out will be like - I have seen no signs at all around here, they're normally every 100 yards! :rolleyes:

11. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Of course I will. When they arrive that is, OH is ordering them tonight as he's the one with all the money in the bank at the moment - and he rarely buys them anything anyway. :p

And depends if they get through with the road closure thats happening at the moment. :rolleyes:

12. GoldenShadow

Weather's meant to be alright so I expect a few will turn out! I normally hear about Suffolk Dog Day too but I didn't know about that until it was too late.

I normally go early (for 10am when it starts) and bail when it starts getting packed. Lunch time with people dropping food and a greedy, steroid-withdrawal-ridden golden retriever isn't overly fun :eek:

13. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

14. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice