Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Waterless Shampoos

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jenp, Aug 10, 2009.

1. jenp

jenp PetForums VIP

Hello all,

Sorry, not been on for ages and now I show up demanding advice :eek:...

Have the extended family coming round on Sunday for Mum's birthday. They're not dog people. At all. They complain my dogs smell. To be honest, I'm willing to concede they probably do a wee bit (I love it :)).

Kira's getting on. She has old lady smell. Finn has a long coat which sometimes holds smell... the problem is he HATES baths. He goes into an utter panic and has head butted me (unintentionally!) in the past when I try to put him in the bath. It all seems unnecessarily traumatic. The older one doesn't mind so much (although she doesn't exactly love it) and she's smaller, so it's easier for me to over rule her!

Then I saw these waterless shampoos available. Seems like it might avoid the whole dilemma. Does anyone know anything about them? Was a bit worried they might lick them off...? Are they ok for skin, are they useless, are they more trouble than they're worth?

Just looking for some experience before I waste my money....

Cheers

Jen x

2. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

we got some dog wash gloves from our local pound shop, you just wipe them over the dog and its supposed to wash them without water, not sure how goo dthey clean but they made the pups smell lovely...lol
    although they do leave the dog a little damp but that soon drys.

3. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I have tried the so called dry shampoo and it's a load of C***p !!

I find that using wet cotton wool or wet kitchen roll the best way of getting rid of any piddle smells from my dogs feet. A quick squirt of puppy fresh and bobs your uncle ;)

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

when I was a kid we often used the dry shampoo to save time and hot water (on me and my sister). It worked as a short term measure, but left your hair feeling dry and sticky-out like a haystack. I can't say I fancy using it on a dog, but if the dog won't tolerate a bath, it could be better than nothing. Those wipes would be easier though, and probably more effective at getting rid of smells.

5. Colsy

Colsy Banned

How about if you just buy some doggie deodorant.
    Pets at home sell some nice ones.

6. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

I usually use dog bathing wipes, though Oscar did have a shower yesterday as he'd got something on him and he stank :rolleyes:

These are them... They are great :D
    Pet Wipes To Go 12 Pack by Petkin-Pets at Home: Buy Pet Supplies from our Online UK Pet Shop

I also use a spray to keep him smelling fresh... It keeps his fur nice and fluffy too ..
    I use this and a lavendar one they also sell instore
    Groom and Detangle Spray for Dogs 250ml by Groomers-Shampoos and sprays-Pets at Home: Buy Pet Supplies from our Online UK Pet Shop

I have tried this and it works wonders
    Waterless Shampoo for Dogs 200ml by Smart Groom-Pets at Home: Buy Pet Supplies from our Online UK Pet Shop

7. jenp

jenp PetForums VIP

thank you for all your advice! dog wipes... hadn't even thought of that. I think i'd better go to some kind of effort, if only to avoid my brother being a grumpy git.... although i'm pretty certain if it came to a choice between him and the family would decide it should be him we shut in the garden :)

8. Camsie84

Camsie84 PetForums Member

I use dry shampoo on Ted's coat and its fantastic - really does the job!

9. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice