Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

water test query

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by Daruma, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Daruma

Daruma PetForums Junior

Last week did 20% water change and cleaned the gravel and all the sponge filters.Removed old sponge from previous setup.
    Perhaps I should not have cleaned all the sponges and removed old sponge all at once
    Not happy with readings and so
    I did a 60% water change yesterday on my 125L tank. added Tetra aquasafe and 10ml of filter boost.
    However today took reading and Ammonia read 0.50ppm nitrite1.0ppm
    Is this OK -ish

in my ignorance it seems , because of my filter debacle , I am effectively cycling tank with my fish in situe?

I have some sponge working in another tank that I could cut up and install in this tank's filter or I could buy some more filter boost or do both plus more 25% water changes
    NB my tap water comes at 0.25mmAmmonia. will I eve

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome. Your filter bacteria all live in the filter sponge and many live in the gravel so you have effectively thrown out all your filter bacteria and are now doing a fish in cycle.

The sponge only needs a gentle squeeze in old tank water to clean it and the gravel needs a Python type cleaner to take out the muchk without disturbing the bacteria.

Nitrite and ammonia need to be zero otherwise they harm the fish. Do daily 50% water changes and keep feeding to a minimum until things are OK test wise . If you have other active cycled filters add some of that media to your non working filter. Also get hold of some.seachem prime as this will neutralise the ammonia and keep the fish safe yet still give the bacteria a form of ammonia they can use to grow.

In future if you want to change the sponge over do a little at a time. Good luck and hope it goes well.

3. Daruma

Daruma PetForums Junior

Thanks .The thing I am still confused about is My Tap water comes at 0.25ppm ammonia - how do i deal with that.?

4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

What test kit are you using ? Is it a liquid kit or a paper strip type ?

Also are you in a rural area at all ?

If you are in the UK you can look at your water companies chemical consituents in their water. They often have a fishkeeping section which has this which may give you some idea of what is normally in your water.

5. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

My tap water also comes back showing traces of ammonia. I was told on another forum that this can sometimes happen with the API kit.

How did you clean your filter sponges? Did you use tap water or old tank water?

For future reference, the filter sponges (with the exception of the white wool pad) need very little cleaning, and it-s best not to do all at once - as you found out! As kittih says, just a gentle swish in old tank water does the job.

I'd also follow @kittih's advice re adding a little media from the old filter, doing daily water changes for a while until the filter has sorted itself out, and adding Seachem Prime.

kittih likes this.
  6. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Mine tap water shows traces of ammonia also. I have tested various bottled water and other people`s tap water and got the same result. I use API, think it must depend on the batch, I did buy one API Ammonia only test and the colour for ammonia on the chart was slightly darker than on previous kits.

I only replace my sponges when they look like they are about to fall apart!

kittih likes this.
  7. Daruma

Daruma PetForums Junior

Thanks. I checked with Drinking water Inspectorate and Severn Trent Water.Both assured me that my water is within their safe parameters. So, like Victor Meldrew- I dont beleive it :) I checked it again with API test kit. And it wasOK. Clearly it was my incompetence. I cannot figure what I'm doing/not doing with my 125L tank. I have three other nano tanks that are are all doing fine.
    So I have added an Ammonia lock added 2% salt and fitted an API aqua detox /nitraZorb sachet and doing 50% water changes daily and reduced aeration to minimum just in case there is too much current for my fancy goldfish. The tank has about 12 small Java fern and three annubias nana. gravel is purely an aesthetic 6/7mm covering.PH circa 7.2. 0 chlorine/chloramines.
    Currently the fish feed voraciously swimming actively but then retire to sit on the tank bottom .

8. NaomiM

How much and how often are you feeding?

9. Daruma

Daruma PetForums Junior

Thankyou for reply. Yes that's what I wondered about. I have just mailed the breeder to see what amount and fequency to feed them.
    It's so hard not to feed the little chaps. ( Tetra Goldfish Gold growth)

10. NaomiM

They shouldn't need feeding any more than once per day. Until the water parameters are stable, I'd cut it down to once every two days.

11. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Re the bolded part, try to point your filter outlet/spray bar at the surface to increase surface agitation, which may also help reduce the current in the tank. Goldfish do need plenty of oxygen in the tank so you don't want to reduce aeration too much. What filter do you have?

And just keep an eye on them with the gravel, it's not uncommon for goldfish to get pieces of gravel stuck in their mouths, which is why sand is considered a safer substrate.

12. Daruma

Daruma PetForums Junior

Thank you for reply. As you can see from the multitude of my questions I am on a steep learning curve. Equally I have had , from various sources, contflicting advice. It would seem bare bottom tank has advantages for the keeper , Sand, as you say is good but is alleged ,by some, to block filters and it would be a further major upheaval for my guys to change now also I am still not sure of the efficacy of my Allpondsolutions EF-150 . I have taken on your warning of them swallowing gravel however that is not a current problem as they only come out of hiding when they think food is coming the rest of the time is spent behind the Java fern I still have 0.50 ppm nitrite after 2 60% water change s
    So I will fast them for a couple of days, as NaomiM suggests and adjust outlet as you suggest.
    I dont like to see animals suffering and doubly so when it is my doing.

13. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

No, I understand not wanting to change the substrate, at least at the moment. I did actually have gravel in my tank for several years without incident, but since joining some goldfish groups on Facebook I've seen lots of issues with gravel which is what made me decide to change my own tank. I just wanted to make you aware so you can keep an eye out for problems :)

I also found gravel trapped the dirt making cleaning a bit of a nightmare, whereas with sand the detritus gets swept into the filter. I've never heard of or experienced sand blocking filters, some does sometimes get sucked into the filter especially if it's very fine sand, but it would have to be an awful lot to block a filter I imagine.

I assume your fish are small at the moment, but you may find (depending on how many you have) that you will need to upgrade your filter and possibly the tank too at some point. It's recommended that filters for goldfish turn over the tank volume at least 4-6 times per hour, which for a 125L tank would be 500-750 lph. Your filter is only 400 lph, so when the goldfish get bigger it may not be enough for them. Again, just information to be aware of.

NaomiM likes this.
  14. Daruma

Daruma PetForums Junior

thanks. I think the sand thing was that the fine particles grind away the moving parts. Fish are 4/5"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice