Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Water overnight

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by kellyamina, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kellyamina

kellyamina PetForums Junior

Have a 14 week old pup, who goes very happily overnight in a cage ( 10-5ish)
    I always put a bowl of water in with him, but Im thinking when he gets a bit bigger theres probably not going to be much room for a water bowl if hes still in cage, so am wondering if anyone doesnt give water overnight in a cage?
    When I first got him and he was on kibble he drunk alot overnight...now hes on wet he hardly touches it...if at all...

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

IMO, dogs need access to water 24/7. It's an absolute essential, with no exceptions.

Two of my dogs are crated overnight and they have a coop cup on the side with a small amount of water in - they are big dogs, and the cups only provide a few mouthfuls for them - not once have they ever drunk any of it, but it's available should they want it.

If your crate is not large enough to accommodate your dog and a bowl of water, you might want to rethink the sizing of it. That said, the dog (if not kibble fed) does not need a huge bowl full - just enough for a small drink if needed. :)

3. kellyamina

I dont think I need to rethink the size of the cage. I wouldnt keep my dog in a cage that isnt big enough for him to be comfortable in overnight.
    I just think as he gets a bit bigger hes going to end up knocking over a bowl, laying in it etc.....

4. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

Dogs need access to clean fresh drinking water 24/7. We have a bowl that clips on to the crate itself, and a non-spill water bowl for dogs that aren't quite big enough to reach a bowl on the side.

You might want to think about getting a bigger crate if he's going to be sleeping in there overnight though when he's grown up a bit.

The bowl doesn't have to be huge, just something big enough/small enough just to quench the dog's thirst, after all, it's not as if he's spent 2 hours exercising is it, he's just woken up and needs a slurp.... happens to us sometimes too.;)

5. kellyamina

Ive just said that I dont need to rethink the size of the cage, Im aware of how big a cage he needs to be in....I may be getting a bit touchy here, but Im feeling a little like youre both saying Im a) stupid or b) dont care about my dog enough to worry about him being comfortable.

Thanks

6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Yes, I think you are getting a bit touchy! That's not what we said at all. But IMO, if there is not enough room in the crate for a small dish of water, either on the base or attached to one of the sides, without the dog treading or laying in it, then yes, the crate does sound too small. Just answering your question - dogs need access to water all the time, including when crated.

7. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

My dog is now only crated overnight (in fact, at all) when we go and stay with my mum or dad.....mainly for my peace of mind - I'd be awake all night worrying about the mischief he was getting up to!

He is a BIG dog with an even bigger crate - luckily we bought a huge one when he was a pup - but there is a spare corner for a little bowl of water.....I'm talking jack russell food bowl size bowl.

The above replies were not in any way suggesting that you were either a)stupid or b) dont care about your dog enough to worry about him being comfortable.....they were just simply pointing out (quite sensibly IMO) that you may want to consider getting a bigger crate so he can be comfortable AND have water when he's bigger.

8. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Chester has one of these hanging on his crate and has never managed to knock it from the sides ..yet :D

Mayfield Coop Cup Hook Bird Feeder | Monster Pet Supplies - Mayfield Coop Cup Hook Bird Feeder 124mm, Mayfield Coop Cup Hook Bird Feeder 148mm, Mayfield Coop Cup Hook Bird Feeder 70mm, Mayfield Coop Cup Hook Bird Feeder 95mm at 100% Guaranteed Low Pr

I feel a dog should have water available at all times. my personal opinion is its downright cruel if people do not supply this basic requirement .

9. mel@fish

mel@fish PetForums Senior

Mine are not crated overnight but I can hear them moving around during the night as my bedroom is above the kitchen. They have a dog flap out into the garden and there are water bowls in both the kitchen and out on the patio. Both of them go out sometimes during the night to drink from the bowl outside if they fancy it so I would always want to ensure that there is water available at all times. If your crate is big enough to incorporate a water bowl somewhere, that would be best. One of those non slip travel bowls would be good?:)

10. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

11. kellyamina

Like I said.....NO the cage isnt too small

12. chichi

chichi Banned

If the cage is big enough for a bowl of water to be clipped to the sides and the dog to move around then all well and good.

Any pet should have access to water 24/7 so not leaving a bowl of water down isnt an option in my opinion. Fresh water at all times is basic care for me.

13. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Spen generally doesn't have free access to water at night as he's in the bedroom with us. I get up about a million times in the night though and not once has he ever gotten up for a drink, nor does he go for a drink first thing in the morning. Rupert was the same until he got sick. If he's crated at any point though I make sure he has plenty of water.

OP, I dunno how big your crate is but mine has plenty of room for both dog and water bowl. If it didn't then I wouldn't consider it to be big enough.

14. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

McKenzie's crate is on the small side for her, which is one reason why I don't tend to use it much any more, but even so there is plenty of room for a water bowl clipped on the side.

I make sure she has access to water at all times - she sleeps with me, but has a water bowl in the bathroom (off the bedroom) so she could go for a drink if she needs to during the night.

15. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Maybe try a pot/clay bowl for the water I think the dog would find this hard to tip over especially in the corner.

16. kellyamina

Thanks to all those who gave advice on my actual original question. For those of you who are still questioning my ability to know if my cage is big enough for my dog I have a puppy cocker spaniel in a cage for a large dog...I think thats plenty big enough dont you? My question was about water, not whether you think my cage is big enough or not.
    Im sure you all know how much puppies jump around when theyre excited...hes already knocked the water flying a couple of times, and as he gets bigger Im sure he will knock it over lots more.
    I hadnt thought of the clip on water bowls...so thanks everyone who mentioned that, I will get one asap.

17. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

There's really no need to be so rude about it ..... those who have commented on the size of the cage have done so politely - only to be jumped on by you.

Maybe if you had said in your 1st post that he knocked the bowl over rather than there not being room for it you would've had a more positive response!

18. kellyamina

I wasnt aware I was being rude..had I not had to say at least 3 times that the cage was plenty big enough I might not have been a little cheesed off...

19. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

mmmmm - the written word can often come across in a different tone to what we intend when we write it .... if you want to get the best out of the forums (and there is some great help and advice around) then you may want to think about this as I'm afraid that:

^^^^ rude

^^^^ rude

20. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

In my experience, those water bowls on the side get knocked off nearly as often by puppies as they tread in and knock over water bowls - I'd go with the suggestion of a road refresher, or one of the other non spill bowls. It's still possible to spill and knock these over, but usually it has to be deliberate.

Once your pup is older he probably won't spill it when he takes up more space because he will be calmer and will be more conscious of where he plants his paw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice