Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

water fountains

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kinley, Jan 22, 2012.

1. kinley

kinley PetForums Senior

is there a good priced nice one out there, what do you all use? is there any that dont need filters?

xx

2. Oscars mam

Oscars mam PetForums VIP

I have the drinkwell premium it's a lovely fountain with a large water holder too would be ideal for your cats but it's pricey at around £45 I also have the catmate around £25 very easy to clean and refil they both need filters

3. carolmanycats

carolmanycats PetForums VIP

We love the catmate ones, so long as kept clean etc they run virtually silently and are easy to clean and fill, we just keep a litre bottle of water next to it to refill. Did try one of those new Pioneer Pet ones (Feng Sui design) from a show the other week, looks much nicer in the living room but noisier and, despite initial impression, actually harder to clean.

4. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

5. Space Chick

Space Chick PetForums VIP

We have the drinkwell platinum, it needs filters but is dead easy to clean and has a good capacity.

6. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

I've got the Catmate fountain and I absolutely love it, and more importantly, so do the kitties :) They never drank water before, and now they do! It's mega easy to clean, virtually silent (I have it in the living room and can't ever hear it) and not pricey. Although if I had 5 cats, I would probably get two!

I got mine from Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pet-Mate-06...GB8W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327267077&sr=8-1

Filters cost just under a fiver for a pack of two and I change them once a month.

Hope that helps :)

7. Oscars mam

Oscars mam PetForums VIP

Haha that what I meant I'd got not premium lol! I actually find it a pain to clean and mine vibrates like hell that's why I put that one outside in the run and have the catmate inside :)

8. hayleyj08

hayleyj08 PetForums Junior

I have the catmate too, from amazon for about £18. I think its been an absolute bargain, my boys love it and drink soooo much more now. Definitely worth it!!

9. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

I've just ordered this one. It has a filter (I would prefer one without) but I really like the design.

The Lucky Kitty is ceramic and without filter but I hate the design... it looks like something out of a public toilet!

#9 TatiLie, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  10. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

We have a Catit dome with reservoir (there is a version which is just the dome). It looks good and has been well used but is a pain to put together and clean.

We also have a Small Catit fresh & clear, the blue and white one, which is also well used, however this one is also a pain to put together after cleaning and the side where the lead is enclosed leaks if you don't get it just right. The size is good if you need to put it in a crate or a small space. Very fiddly, both of the Catit ones.

So, bought a CatMate and was really looking forward to dumping at least one of the others but as far as I know, it never got used at all. It is the best of the 3, quiet, easy to clean, dishwasher safe.

As for the filters, they are there for a reason, so I wouldn't consider not using them, or buying one without any filter at all.

11. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I have that one too, both my kitties love to play with the moving water as well as drink it!! I am soooo tempted to buy one of those little jars of tiny fish (if they are suitable for cats) and put a few of them in the fountain so they've got something to catch!! :001_tongue:

12. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

Probably a daft question but do all water fountains run off a mains power supply.

After taking my kitty to the vets on sunday as she wasn't eating the vet suggested to move her water away from her food as she wasn't eating. So I moved it into the area at the bottom of the stairs, (my stairs run up the middle of the house - between kitchen and main room) so no power supply and the cable would run under a door.

She hasn't shown any interest in running water until this morning, when I was cleaning my teeth and left the tap running and she stuck her head under for a little drink - thought she might like a fountain :)

13. Ali82

Ali82 PetForums Senior

Another thumbs up for the Cat Mate here. Personally I don't bother with the filters, I just change the water daily as I would with a bowl and therefore can't see the point.

14. Sullycat

Sullycat PetForums Junior

those of you with drinking fountains, do you leave them on all day, even when your out? We have the Catit one like PetLoverJo but the plug gets quite warm so we're a bit wary of leaving it on all day whilst we're at work.

15. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

mines on 24/7

16. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I leave the Catit with the dome on all the time as it needs fiddling to get the water to run over the dome when it starts up, and, of course if someone needs a drink it is best to have it running. I leave the others on too, whichever one is in use at the time.

As for not having a filter, the filters are there to remove the impurities in the water, not just the fur and various stuff that falls in.

It's like using a filter jug for your drinking water ;)

Our water is so hard that it leaves a white film even after going through a filter jug, then being boiled in the kettle. After that it is cooled and goes in the fountain. I read somewhere that the stuff in the water can contribute to bladder problems, not sure if it was stones or crystals, but with a cat that is prone to cystitis and with kidney disease I am not taking any chances.

17. McSquirtle

McSquirtle PetForums Senior

We've got the Catit one too. It looks like a little plant pot and fits into the corner of 'their' room well. I have mine running on a timer that starts up at 8pm and knocks off at 6am, as throughout the day time they are normally out and about/drinking from the pond and whatnot :rolleyes: They haven't shown as much interest in it as I would've liked but it must get some use as it often looks as though grubby paws have been in it.

18. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

It might bet more use than you think ;) and if it was on all the time they might show more interest.

Being creatures of habit and routine it might confuse them that when they go back it is sometimes not gurgling.

19. anotheruser

anotheruser PetForums Senior

That's a good idea although I'd probably have mine off in the evenings when I am around (I live in a three room flat - TINY!).
    But I like (Y).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice