Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Water dishes and bearded dragons

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by illogical_Logic, Mar 20, 2020.

1. illogical_Logic

illogical_Logic PetForums Junior

So this isn't exactly a question more of wanting to see what people's opinions on this topic.
    I have done lots of research from multiple different resources but none can agree on one size of water dish.
    I've heard:
    No water dish at all, water should be taken in through greens, prey and misting 1-2 a day.
    A very shallow water dish
    A dish large enough to soak it's front end
    A dish large enough for it to soak completely.

I've also heard that dragons don't drink from water dishes because they can't see the water since it doesn't move.
    I also know that water can raise the humidity and that is not good.

I personally provide mine with a shallow water dish and mist him once a day.

Any one have different opinions?

2. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

Mine has a water dish deep/long/wide enough to climb into, if he wants to, and he does, often.
    He most 100% drinks from it, sometimes he submerges his whole head, most times he laps like a dog
    It's at the cooler end of the big, so not to cause too much humidity
    We also give him a swim in the bath once a week, just shallow water, made tepid from the kettle, NOT hot tap as our boiler has some kind of liquid added in it, harmless to us, but not chancing it for dragon

3. illogical_Logic

illogical_Logic PetForums Junior

Hmmmm thanks for your input I soak mine once every other week because he really hates it and spends most of the time trying to get out or clawing the heck out of my arm. I may see about getting him a larger water bowl for his cool end. See how he uses it he's been kinda sluggish due to it being winter and what not but he should start becoming more active now that spring is here. If he uses it then I'll opt for a larger one!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice