Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Water Cress in Feringa cat food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by jasmine2, Sep 11, 2020.

1. jasmine2

jasmine2 PetForums Member

Hi, I was looking at the ingredients list of Feringa cat food and one of its variety has water cress added to it. I’ve searched the net and found out that it’s toxic to cats. What are your opinions about this and have you tried Feringa and specially the one with added water cress variety from Zooplus?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes, that is a bit strange! I think the plant is toxic in the wild if a cat were to eat a lot of the leaves. The plant raised horticulturally for food is apparently safe but even so could cause mild gastric symptoms in a cat. I suppose the makers would argue there is such a tiny amount of it in the food it would not cause symptoms for the cat. But why would they take the risk one might ask!

I am not keen on vegetables and herbs being added to cat foods, Rosemary is a herb that is added to some foods and is a known irritant to the bowel.

My suggestion would be to email Zooplus (using their online contact form on the website) and raise this point with them. They are very good at getting a response from manufacturers about contents of cat foods.

lorilu likes this.
  3. jasmine2

jasmine2 PetForums Member

Thank you so much, I’m trying my best to make my cats eat a healthy food so trying different foods after every few days in the hope that they might like it. The problem in the multi cats household is that one or two might like the new food but it might give the other cat upset tummy. I’m looking for a food which they all like to eat.

chillminx likes this.
  4. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I agree with @chillminx, I'm not a fan of vegetables in cat food, its totally unnecessary, cats are carnivores...end of. Adding vegetables seems to be just the fad of the moment. Also, there are other extracts which I'm not keen on which have a toxic basis like carageen, tapioca, yucca and others so try to avoid when buying food though it can be very difficult if you've got a picky cat who will only eat certain ones. Watercress is a new one to me.

chillminx likes this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Good luck with that, :D.

My 4 cats are all on different diets, not because they're faddy but because different foods suit their needs best. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice