Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Water bowl insanity.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bex190, May 12, 2010.

1. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

A short time after I got my Vizsla Otto he started to play with his water bowl, dragging it around the floor, digging in it etc so after getting sick of mopping up the kitchen floor, I replaced his bowl with a large Road Refresher bowl.

That worked brilliantly, Otto stopped playing with the water (he has got a paddling pool to play with instead:rolleyes:) and it even kept his ears dry.

Just now I heard splashing in the kitchen and get through just in time to see Alfie my lurcher trotting up the stairs with the full Road Refresher in his mouth!:eek:

Being a no spill bowl it didn't empty out straight away but instead left a nice wet trail all the way up the stairs carpet.

I brought the bowl back down hoping it was a one off but as soon as my back was turned he was at it again!

So what do I do now? Does anyone make a water bowl with a concrete base?!

2. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Hee hee naughty boy, would a raised bowl be any good? Mine tend to stick a paw in theirs and then dribble out half a bowl full everytime they drink all over the floor :rolleyes:

3. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Dont you just love them!!
    I tend to keep the water bowl outside now,for the same reason( i fill a horse feed tyre type bowl).But i have young dogs and they are let out every half hour to an hour,so they still drink enough water,but the play is outside!

4. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Lol I keep having the "close mouth and swallow THEN walk away" conversation with Otto!

I'm not sure a raised bowl would help unless the bowl was permanently fixed into a big, very heavy stand. His current bowl isn't exactly small or light but he picked it up by the rim and carried it off with the bowl opening facing him and water slopping down his front legs!

#4 Bex190, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  5. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Another thing you could try,putting a large bowl inside an old car tyre,so it just fits,this works for some dogs...but not all!!

6. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

one of ours did this;) my husband cemented a large ceramic dog bowl ( the brown one with blue inside) to the patio outside:D

7. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Thank you for the suggestions.

Why do I always get the crazy ones?:D

8. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

these bowls are good cos they cant tip them over but it would be difficult for one of them to pick it up either!

spaniel bowls - Google Product Search

my sisters vizzie was the same and these bowls worked a treat! :thumbup:

you can get ceramic ones which are heavy, but i prefer stainless steel for washing up etc...

9. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Thanks Katiefranke.

It was a large ceramic bowl Otto had at first so weight doesn't seem to bother him.

Unfortunately I've got one which puts his paw in the side of the bowl and drags it around (can still be done with spaniel bowls) and one that picks the bowl up by the rim to carry it which rules out anything with a straight side!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice