Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Water bottle

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Lilac3, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Lilac3

Lilac3 PetForums Newbie

I don’t suppose anyone has found a water bottle that doesn’t leak? I’ve tried the usual ones from pets at home.

Thank you

2. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

Very, very few, if any water bottles do not drip. I've yet to find one.

3. Chrstphr315

Chrstphr315 PetForums Newbie

Until the perfect water bottle is found here are two techniques I use to prevent the bedding from being soaked.
    1.) You could get an appropriate sized cork flat to put underneath the water bottle, and instead of soaking the bedding it gets absorbed by the platform instead. You may have to replace it once it becomes too soiled or switch it out to allow it to dry out.
    2.) I like to use bowls and keep them on a sturdy platform where they are able to still access it, but Not On The Bedding. It should be shallow enough for the water to be just up their ankles. They won’t bathe themselves in it not only because it’s too cold but also they don’t prefer to wet their coat. Just know that the water should be changed everyday since they still tend to find a way to get bedding in it, and also bacteria cultures in still standing water.

Depending on the temperament of the hamster the former maybe better suited for a hyper hamster than the latter suggestion; lest they mischievously turn over their cage.

4. David C

David C PetForums Member

having bred and shown cavies for 26 years the trick i found is to put them on an angle , this helps allot unless you have someone who likes to play with the ball in the end and make everything soaking wet

5. Arny

Arny PetForums Member

You can get ones with a valve that don't leak.
    They work by the animal pushing on the metal stick to allow water to flow. Not all animals will learn how to use them though. Its what I use for my chinchillas.

6. Arny

Arny PetForums Member

Deleted duplicate post

7. DekuChilla

DekuChilla PetForums Newbie

I use the Kaytee water bottles. For the large one I fill it up about 3/4 of the way and it hardly ever drips, just the first few initial drips till the vacuum forms. For the smaller ones I leave about half an inch of no water and again, just the first few initial drips till the vacuum forms. They've worked great for me!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice