Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

waste disposal for home boarding

Discussion in 'Dog Boarding' started by paula rose, Nov 1, 2019.

1. paula rose

paula rose PetForums Newbie

Hi all, first post here:)

We are applying for a licence for daycare and home boarding. We've got most stuff covered, but are drawing a blank on what to put for waste disposal. We think we can't just use domestic waste like we would with our own dog, and can't use the local poo bins either.....

I contacted a professional disposal place, but it was 100 quid a month plus 130 for a certificate, and we will likely only be having one or two dogs!

I was thinking a chemical dog toilet in the garden?

Any one have any ideas or information?

thanks

2. David Hendra

David Hendra PetForums Newbie

My wife does home boarding, but not daycare. Within her Animal Welfare Compliance Policy we identified domestic waste as the disposal method and it was accepted just fine. But we only have a maximum of three dogs here at a time. If you're planning on having a lot more, I guess it could be a problem. Most of our waste ends up in council dog poo bins; the dogs are walked for at least 45 minutes twice a day so they tend to "perform" while they're out.

Calvine likes this.
  3. paula rose

thank you - i've found your blog (which looks great) and messaged you on there too lol

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Not sure why it can’t just go in domestic waste. As far as I’m aware dog waste has been de-classified. In my area anyway. Less dog bins and more litter/dog bins combined.

The bags go into landfill anyway.

If only one or two dogs it shouldn’t need special measures I would have thought.

Calvine likes this.
  5. paula rose

thank you - do you mean even if a licenced waste disposal company took it, it would still go into landfill?

6. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Speak to your local environmental health; they should be able to help.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Not sure, but the Council’s collections do.

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

A friend who used to run a substantial boarding kennels used to lift the manhole cover over the sewer pipe and put it in there.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. Laura P N U

Laura P N U PetForums Newbie

If babies' dirty nappies can be thrown in the domestic waste bin, surely dogs waste can go in the same bins too? Or is mine a silly way of thinking?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice