Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wasps! Ideas to Keep them Away?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Vampyria, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

Because of the glorious weather I have had my window open constantly. Unfortunately, I have had wasps wander in every single day, often with an extra one following the next day. This morning I've had THREE wasps come into my room, and at least one is a Queen, going by the patterns on her abdomen and her behaviour in exploring every single nook and cranny in my room. I'd rather not have a wasp nest in or near my room, thanks :p I don't mind the odd wasp, but a whole nest of them is a bit much.

Is there any deterrent I can use to keep the wasps away? Preferably a natural deterrent; I'd rather not kill them and I can't use sprays/chemicals in my room anyway because of the stick insects. I shall be shutting my window when I'm not in as a precaution. I am comfortable in catching and releasing the Queen elsewhere if that works :p

2. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

3. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

we've only ever put a glass over them and put them outside, did have a nest once we had to get removed :eek: but nothing since, sorry its not much help

4. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

Yikes! :eek: that sounds awful! Our house is old, so there are naturally a lot of cracks/gaps between the brickwork. I shall definitely keep an eye out for those bees!

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

How about some window screen so that you can open the window to enjoy the breeze but they stay out?

6. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

its worth checking if there is a nest in the brickwork because they can cause thousands of pounds worth of damage.

7. Gilly and Jess

Gilly and Jess PetForums Senior

My answers have already been stated. We sat last year commenting on how many wasps my mam had in her garden. Sat watching one crawling into a crack in the brickwork on her bathroom window ledge outside. Carrying bits of leaves and such like in, was interesting to watch but the knowledge that they were nesting in there worried me. Walked round the side of her bungalow and found two vent bricks either end of the wall, both with swarms of wasps around them. One call to the local council and a pest controller came out, for a small fee, and told her that if they needed further treatment it would be done for free.

Try one of these in the meantime, but certainly check around your brickwork!

Fly Screen For Window: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

8. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

Window screen sounds like a very good idea! It will keep them from entering the house at least. Thank you!

Been reading that putting up a fake wasp nest can help keep wasps away too, as apparently wasps are territorial and will not build a nest close to another. Apparently filling out a paper bag and hanging that up works just as well as a bought one. Worth a try :D

9. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

I find running around flapping my arms helps create wind and blow them away :) Hope I helped :D

10. quequeg1988

quequeg1988 PetForums Member

ok i have a tip[, get a jar or glass, put about a thrid jam in the bottom and then fill it to half with boiling water, then sit it outside away from where your sitting or in your case, on the window sill outside the open window etc, they are attracted to the sweetness and then get stuck and die :) it also seems to attract fly's too.

11. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

My mate have just bought an artificial Wasp Nest to hang on the wall out the back of her house, it is supposed to stop wasps approaching any were near it lolol. It have worked out the back but they are now in the front of her house so she have ordered another one, she got it off one of them books that come in your letter box much like Avon, it is Home Solutions. I may get one, although she didn;t tell me how much there were.

12. xxwelshcrazyxx

13. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

Ah, yes I stumbled upon this earlier! Good to know its working for your friend :D gives me hope! Going to try making something similar with a paper bag and see how well that works :D

14. xxwelshcrazyxx

Wasps are a real pain in the butt, have you seen the size on the bumble bee's this year??? :eek: they are bloody huge and an orange/red colour.

15. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

I haven't seen many bumblebees yet, and have only seen one very tiny Honey Bee. I shall definitely be keeping a lookout for giant bumblebees; I find them quite adorable :D

16. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

citus flash in a gun style bottle is good, put some on your skin.. watch it dry up.. no imagine that on a wasps face ;)

aerosol can and a lighter.

if you're super good a .22 or bb gun (only to be used in the wilds though no in suburbia you wouldn't accidentally want to take chunks out of your annoying neighbours rear)

last but not least, invest ina wasp eating bird

How to Attract Insect-Eating Birds, Part 2 | DoItYourself.com

or lastly,
    i can loan out Neeps, who thinks wasps are flying treats.. unfortunately she can't tell the difference between wasps and bees :(

17. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

:lol::lol::lol:
    I can just imagine passers-by seeing bursts of flame shooting from the window :D

As for birds, we've got lots of Blue and Great tits around whom nest nearby every year. Not sure they enjoy eating wasps though :p

18. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

My biggest fear! hence why i dont have many flowers in my garden!!

Horrible things

19. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

same here, me and one of my mates scream like girls when we see them.. unfortunately my mates a 40 y/o man! hahahahaahaaa

evil little barstewards.. bees fine.. wasps KILLLLLLLL!!!!! DIEDIEDIE!!!

20. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

:lol: :lol: Noushka will be after you for that comment! I've still not lived mine down :eek: :yikes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice