Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wasp Spray and Cats

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by jasmine2, Sep 23, 2020.

1. jasmine2

jasmine2 PetForums Member

We are shifting to a new bungalow and our gardener discovered the wasp nest by the front door behind the outdoor lighting. We booked an appointment and some one came to spray the nest. I was not there when they sprayed it and neither have I seen the nest myself. We are going to be shifting there soon and our cats room is in the front by the front door. I have no knowledge about the wasp sprays, my question is it is safe for my cats to live in that room which is so near to the place where they had sprayed? It was done one month ago but the nest might still be there. The landlord is not allowing to replace the outdoor lighting.

2. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

If a professional pest controller was called in then it is likely that they used powder to kill the wasps. The powder is toxic to cats and the advice is usually to thoroughly wash the area down once all the wasps are dead to remove all traces of the powder that may have gotten onto surfaces that the cat may touch (for example a windowsill or walkway). As it has been a month since the pest controller came its likely all traces of the powder are now gone but I'd probably wipe down all surfaces anyway, just to make sure!

jasmine2 likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The stuff they use to kill the wasps is pretty powerful stuff and usually effective. Plus the pest controller usually smashes the nest to pieces. I think if it was still there and active you would see it behind the lighting and/or hear buzzing. Wasp nests are usually quite large - there was one in the loft of my house some years ago.

As the treatment was a month ago I shouldn't think there'd be any fumes left to harm your cats. I assume the windows of the house were all shut when the stuff was used?

If you are concerned I would phone the Council Pest Control Department (if it was them who came and destroyed the nest with pesticide) and ask them for reassurance.

Crossposted with TM ;)

jasmine2 likes this.
  4. jasmine2

jasmine2 PetForums Member

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Sounds pretty safe, as much as any pesticide can be "safe". :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice