Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Washing dog beds.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by catz4m8z, Nov 25, 2012.

1. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Just reading on another thread about people washing their dog beds once a week and wondering what sort of dog beds they have?
    I really need easier to clean ones...most of mine are either donut style ones which arent designed to go in a machine or large cushion types that you can force in the washing machine (but are then terrified the whole thing might explode in a puff of smoke from the strain!!LOL).:rolleyes:

2. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

All my beds are covered in a doggy fleece to make washing easier! Otherwise I have the same problem as you, nothing fits in the machine :eek:

3. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I will be honest stuff only gets washed if it smells! Mine don't roll in nasties or anything and what with Rupert's skin condition I don't like to do much to aggravate him. Mine have most blankets and I've just ordered a wipe clean tuffie. Sadly most proper beds for mine are too big for the machine so if they get sicked on they get thrown out :(

4. Kc Mac

Kc Mac PetForums Senior

My dog beds have covers on, mainly because my lovely Nan makes me covers to put over them so I can wash them :biggrin:

I also use a lot of vet bed and fleecy blankets :)

However I don't wash my dogs bedding that often, and when I do I use a dog safe disinfectant instead of softener :cool:

5. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I do not like fabric beds, vet bed etc because

they harbour smells, parasites, germs, dirt, hair
    need to be washed and therefore can put a strain on your washine machine motor etc
    They need to be dried which uses more electricity if it is raining and you do not have an indoor airer

I use flat waterproof Tuffies mattresses

they are environmentally friendly as they do not need to be put into a washing machine and thus use washing powder, water and electricity.

They do not harbour smells, germs, dirt, hair
    They can be hosed clean and dry in minutes

They are also very cost effective, initial costs are high but on a cost per use basis.

I have had mine for around 5 years now and they still look like new, have not flattened, do not smell and they are pretty tough.

Also using a flat mattress (as opposed to a "shaped" hard or soft bed, means that a dog can decide which position is more comfortable for them at a particular time and does not fORCE the dog's spine into a curled position which is not necessarily good for long term musculoskeletal health.

View Dog Beds, Waterproof Dog Beds, Large Dog Beds and Luxury Dog Beds

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

My dog beds have zip covers so I can wash them easily.

I agree with SB about the advantage of flat beds. I had a dog that was very stiff and painful on her hips every afternoon. It took me ages to realise it was being caused by sleeping on the lovely 'comfy' bed she had in the lounge. At night she slept on a flat bed and in the mornings she was out and about with me so it was not till the afternoon she had a snooze in the lounge.

7. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

I use the big flat beds that have duvets inside them, so easy to take apart and wash when needed, or just change the cover if the dogs have been muddy (every day this year so far it seems). I've got some plastic ones as well, and they have vet bed and fleecy blankets to make them comfy and snuggly.

I had to give up having nice things because visiting dogs keep marking them, and it's a struggle to keep washing them. Having mostly small dogs the washing machine was fine with them, but it's depressing to have to keep doing it.

8. dexter12

dexter12 PetForums Senior

I bought a dog bed cover from pets and home and filled it with washable pillows. That i bought from wilkinsons only chesp ones but he loves his bed :) And It all gets washed once a week :)

9. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I have a dog mattress from p@h and it has a waterproof cover on it (from Charlie's puppy days), which can just be wiped down with a cloth.

That is covered with a towel or a blanket, which can be thrown in with my washing every week, or more if it's got muddy.

10. andrea84

andrea84 PetForums Senior

i have washable ones you just take the cushion out the middle and throw the rest in the wash,if i remember right i got one off of a market and the other out of a shop that sold bedsheets curtains etc.:)

11. Ariana1985

Ariana1985 PetForums Member

I used to use plastic bed filled up with blankets for my pup then flat waterproof dog bed -Dizzy prefered to sleep in a sifa rather than this bed -but recently changet to wolfybed (same bed is also sold in orvis for double the price) Dizzy and Shy love it -in fact he traided his sofa space for it ;-) bed is big enough to house american bulldog and american bulldog x -its fill if zips so you can remove inner cushions much easier to wash ...and its soooo comfy ;-)

12. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Kenzie's beds aren't waterproof but you can sort of wipe them clean, plus they fit in my dad's washing machine (it's a huge one). Her crate mat cover zips off for easy cleaning :)

13. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

My dogs beds are also doughnut style. I put a thin fleece cover over the cushion part, which is easily washable and about once a month I steam clean the base and sides.

14. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

I have duvets with covers on, just throw them in the washing machine, its easy :)

15. Bagrat

Bagrat PetForums VIP

Jackson will be sleeping on old memory foam topper cut to crate size to be covered with waterproof fabric ( just ordered), pillow cases then cord cover hand made extremely badly!!. Being a terrier he does like a loose blanket to rearrange though but that washes and dries in a jiff.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice