Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Washing a kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SimplyRosy, May 30, 2017.

1. SimplyRosy

SimplyRosy PetForums Junior

Hi I took Lumos to the vet today the poor mite and he pooed all over himself in the carrier. It went all over him I have wiped him down and got most of it off but I still don't feel like he is clean. Is it okay to bath him he is only 8 weeks old and I have heard getting them wet can make them ill. Any other suggestions welcome. Thanks

2. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

My kitten was bathed several times before she came home at 12 weeks. She is a persian so this was just to get her used to it. Just make sure you dry her properly.

Tho im far from an expert on these things

3. TallulahCat

TallulahCat PetForums VIP

You'd need to make sure he is kept nice and warm until he is completely dry. It might be easier to try to wipe him with a wet flannel, than to actually dip him in water. If you have a denim jacket, I'd suggest wearing it for protection.

Temporally_Loopy likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

If it were me I wouldn't risk bathing an 8 week old kitten. It is so easy for them to get badly chilled and their resistance is then lowered so they go down with a virus or infection they were trying to fight off.

You have not had this little guy long and I think it is too soon to be putting him under the stress of bathing him as he has presumably never been bathed before.

Was he at the vets because he is unwell? If so even more reason not to bathe him.

I would use a special no-rinse cat shampoo. Put loads of it on an old soft towel and gently rub the soiled parts of his fur. Then dry him off with a clean soft dry towel. Clean him in the bathroom and make the bathroom really toasty warm first so he can't get chilled (though less risk of this than if you get his whole body wet).

This is the shampoo I use for my longhaired cat when he needs a bit of a clean round his hindquarters. I think it would be safe for an 8 week old kitten, but maybe you could email or phone Purrsonal Touch and ask them. I know they sell a lot of it.

http://www.purrsonaltouch.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=110&P_ID=543

Make sure you keep Lumos in the warm bathroom until he is completely dry.

5. SimplyRosy

Thanks Lumos wasn't at the vet because he was ill I just wanted a general check up. I didn't want to wait to get him checked out until 9 weeks when I would have taken him for vacations. I was worried about the dipping and making him ill thing as he is so small and I know really young kittens aren't the best at body temperature regulation. I didn't want to leave him dirty though. I think I will do what you suggested and get a no rinse shampoo thanks for the help. :)

chillminx likes this.
  6. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

It's absolutely fine to bath an 8 week old kitten, as long as you keep them warm after drying. Mine have always dried themselves on me, I put them on my bare skin and cover them with a towel and a blanket. I absolutely roast but it keeps them nice and toasty. You can also blow dry them on the warm (not hot) setting.

7. SimplyRosy

I'm just a bit worried because he is very small only 400g

8. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

Just keep him warm and dry he'll be fine. Cats are usually very good at cleaning themselves though.

9. SimplyRosy

Well my slightly older cat has taken it upon herself to bath him for me so that's helped IMG_3032.JPG

Wiz201, Chellacat, Shrike and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice