Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Was I wrong to say NO

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Cosmills, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Just had a man enquire about the kittens

He lives in the middle of London in a small flat without outdoor access , he told me that he had a Pomeranian dog and goes away to his posh flat in Richmond at the weekends

He was not that bothered about which kitten he wanted , just wanted a pet and didnt really understand the contract to spay ... Not a English gent

I said he would not be suitable .. Mainly because of small flat and his weekend ventures ..

I want these babies to have the best not be left

2. sharon_gurney

sharon_gurney PetForums VIP

I would have felt the same way. Go with your gut instinct when you get bad vibes. You would prob end up doing nothing but worry.

think I would have said no as well

3. cinder

cinder PetForums Member

Cosmills, I'm not a breeder and don't even currently have any cats, but I think you made the right call. I've been in contact with a Burmese breeder (kittens are due in four weeks - exciting!), and I've done everything that I can to demonstrate that my home is a suitable environment for two kittens. I think that prospective buyers should go out of their way to show that they will be responsible owners.

Our kittens won't have any outside access, but we have a fairly large flat and we're real homebirds, so we're not out every evening and all weekend. I'm already working out where to build a cat tree/cat shelves and I've done research into local vets. It sounds like the man who contacted you hasn't put any thought into this at all and just wanted a living, breathing cat ornament :(

4. Toby Tyler

Toby Tyler Banned

Totally agree. Your 'gut instinct' rarely lies. We need to learn to trust what our gut says. So stop second guessing yourself. ;)

5. Marycat

Marycat PetForums Senior

i would have said no too. You made the right call. It sounds like he was thinking purely about himself, not the cat and their needs x

6. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

These are your babies and if you feel the situation isn't right then you are right to say no.
    In the circumstances you have given I would have said no too.

7. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

I know TT ... Just something about him...

I don't mind them being indoor , but like them to have secure access if possible . I just look at my girls and DD and they love to lay in the sun and watch the birds and bee ... Middle of London you don't get that ..

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Flat and no garden access wouldn't bother me. Otherwise there are an awful lot of people who wouldn't be allowed a pet and I don't think that is fair.

However, leaving them every weekend would. Unless he was going to take the cat with him.

But . . . if you had a bad feeling doesn't matter what the circumstances are, they don't get a baby.

9. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

I remember as a child our moggy having kittens, a man came to look at them and said he'd take em all....My Mom was like why would you want all 4 kittens? Nope you can't even have one your up to something...turned out she was right always go with your gut instinct.....

10. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Small flat, doesn't bother me, people are always quick to tell me how big their place is, my answer is always the same, doesn't matter if its a mansion, they will always be in the same room as you, even if you create a entire play room them, it wont get used ( *coughmylotcough* :rolleyes: )as long as you play and look after them, doesn't matter.

No outside access, even better, no problem to me! :)

Did he actually say he has a 'posh flat'?? :eek: Who would look after the kittens every weekend? Does he have a family? Children? Would he take them with him like he does the dog?

Unable to understand neutering, big red flag to me, but mine go neutered so no longer applies as everyone who contacts me (apart from the odd people who cant read NEUTERED) wants a pet! :)

gut feeling, always go with it, its never wrong!!

11. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

No kitten would stay in the London flat over the weekend , while he was away .. No wife, kids etc etc ....and works late most nights. Outside access I don't mean roam the street. Cat proof garden out outdoor run when older

Even if the kitten did go with him to his posh flat how long would that last, and am not sure any of mine would like the moving about from home to home ...

So it was I big fat no

12. Aeschylus

Aeschylus PetForums Member

Sounds like he hadn't really thought it through. The part I don't understand is that he wasn't bothered about which kitten he wanted... If a person can't see that the kittens have different personalities, how will they understand when the kitten is tired, hungry or whatever? I think you have to trust your gut.

13. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Good call, if you don't feel it's right then NO. They are your babies and it is your decision completely, regardless of the reasoning behind it - you have to feel happy :)
    Em

14. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

When i first contacted Spid about Margo, i did say i wasnt worried which kitten i had as a pet aslong as the kitten would be happy living with my existing cats, so i had to go with the kitten that would be happiest living in my home, luckily this was Margo as i had already fallen for her as soon as she was born.

Agree you do have to go with your gut feelings though, if it doesnt feel right you would just worry for the next how many years.

15. Aeschylus

Aeschylus PetForums Member

Yes, sure - although it sounds as if you *were* bothered about which kitten it was - you knew you wanted whichever kitten would be happiest with your family. And you'd fallen in love with Margo, so you had an emotional connection there... Whereas it sounds as if this man in London didn't see the kittens as anything more than objects. I imagine breeders spend a lot of their time around other cat lovers, so it must be odd to meet someone who doesn't seem to think about a cat as an individual!

16. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

I was lucky it was Margo, but then if Spid had said one of the other kittens, i would have been just as happy.:)

I know all about gut feelings and have also refused my kittens to people, if im not happy then its a no.

17. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

I agree you know what type of cat would fit nicely within your Own lifestyle ... Not just say ya not bothered ... I am bothered and wish to match accordingly ..

18. sharonbee

sharonbee PetForums VIP

I would have said no too, I wouldn't want my kittens left all weekend while he goes away.

I wouldn't be put off by a flat, some flats are very spacious, my daughter used to live in a flat and it was really nice, three good sized bedrooms, a big lounge and a lovely kitchen diner, and a big bathroom, she also had a big garden with it too which was shared with the flat below.

I prefer my kittens to be kept indoors so that wouldn't bother me but not having any knowledge on neutering and being away each weekend would bother me so always best to go with gut instincts, :)

19. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

I'm not a breeder, but if I were I would have said no.

What concerned me was he works late most nights and is away at the weekends.

If something doesn't feel right then it probably isn't, you made the right choice :)

20. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

So the stories about bees dying off are true!:biggrin:

Seriously - you would not have slept at night. You did the right thing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice