Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

was advised to have rio pts

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by littleangel01, Jan 12, 2012.

1. littleangel01

littleangel01 PetForums VIP

as soom of you may know, rio my bull lurcher (14months) has kidney problems - they where shutting down. :(

vet put her on tablets ect unfort they didnt work as well as we had hoped. anyway she was very ill over xmas, not eating sick lost waight ect and i really did think i was going to lose her :(

she is now on diffrent tablets which seem to be ok and pain killers, however she has started to attack lexi :eek: sometimes lexi only has to walk into the room :( so got rio a crate and set up her on little space were lexi cant go, and diffrent rooms ect when im not there, its not been easy as i have a two bed flat but cant have them fighting. took rio back to the vets and the aggression was put down to pain - she had an infection to so went on even more meds.

the problem is two weeks ago she bit me on the hand, it bled but only a few drops, so changed things so i made sure not to go near her if asleep or in her crate ect but then monday she bit me again, again it bled this time more then before but not enough to need stiches.

took rio back to vet today who said it may be best to pts, as shes in pain biting ect and has bit someone twice.

but i cant do that :(

she eats drinks goes to the park (carry a muzzle just in case but she takes no notice of other dogs) and will sometimes come to me for a cuddle.

no real point to this thread just needed to write it down i think :(

2. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Sometimes the kindest thing for your animal is the hardest thing for you.......

3. rose

rose PetForums VIP

Thats very sad. It this disease curable? I know its awful to say but kidney disease is very painful, it may be that you may have to consider putting her to sleep to end her suffering. I do hope she will improve, good luck and kind thoughts

4. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

It is hard for you but you must think what is best for Rio, I had my little girl pts when she had kidney disease as it was something I could do for her to put her out of the pain she was in, yes I had to be hard on myself luckily I had a vet I could speak to in a straightforward way and asked her prognosis and what to expect in the near future - her answer was NOTHING no miracle cure, no futher pain relief and no real happy life for her. Decided to let her go peacefully, tbh once I had got over the initial grieving for her and yes it was massive, you sit and think about what you have been able to relieve them from.

Thoughts are with you and this is something that only YOU can decide upon but just think if Rio has bitten you and this is out of character then the pain must be bad ;)

5. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

I think you know that ultimately, this may end badly. As she increases in size and pain level, she may become really aggressive and as others have said, kidney disease is so painful.

I know the hardest decision with pets is to PTS, I've been through it twice and it half killed me. My sympathy is with you. I hope she improves but I'd be worried for your own safety if she's in pain.

6. littleangel01

the vet has already said that she will be on the meds for life, wont have as long a life as she would have, will have infections ect, plus she already has a heart problem :(

its just that she is 14months old, and is my baby.

but i hate that she is in so much pain that she is being like this plus its not fair on lexi :(

7. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I'm sorry but if she's in enough pain that she's becoming aggressive and this pain cannot be controlled then the kindest thing to do would be to put her to sleep. I know it's not easy, I very recently lost my own dog to kidney failure, but far better than them suffering.

Good thoughts to you and your dogs whatever your decision.

8. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I think if you're honest with yourself - about whats best for Rio, not you - then you'll know what to do. Whether thats letting her live for a bit longer, or letting her go peacefully.

9. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Do you know you have answered this yourself really in that you know what you should do for both you, Lexi but mostly Rio - Kaya was only 4 but I was the one that held the nod for the relief that we as owners can give our much loved pets - I loved her so much that I chose to give her sleep.

Not an easy decision but I think you have made it really xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

10. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

Oh I feel so sad for you :( I'm not going to tell you what to do, you need to reach that decision by yourself but I think you know...

Inadequate but heartfelt <<hugs>> to you xxx

11. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

I am so sorry for you. :(
    I haven't really got any useful advice just wanted to give my sympathies. :(

12. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

If you care for both your dogs I think you have no choice. Vets are not quick to make that suggestion so I think your vet must feel your dog is in a fair bit of pain.
    Please do it soon before she gets any worse. If it has to happen far better to be while she still has some quality of life.

Good luck with staying strong.

13. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

Possibly get a second opinion at a different vet before making such decision? They may try a different medication to see how it goes.

Dober likes this.
  14. tiggerthumper

tiggerthumper PetForums VIP

Whatever you do we are all here to talk to and support you. It's a terrible decision to have to make, I'd be devastated if I was in your position.

15. LisaZonda

LisaZonda PetForums VIP

We don't know how she is feeling but if she is in so much pain (and it sounds like she is) then that must be a truly miserable existence for her, please try to remember that you would be freeing her from all that....everything else is purely your own personal emotions.

I do think you know what the answer is already deep down and once you have said it out loud and accepted it, while it is emotionally so damn hard to deal with, there is kind of a sense of relief too.

My thoughts are with you and Rio.

16. littleangel01

to be honest i made the choice when she first had problems that if it ever got to much for her then i would let her go :(

have booked her in to the vets tomorro afternoon, will talk things through with the vet and see what is said :(

17. LisaZonda

LisaZonda PetForums VIP

I know its not an easy thing to go through, guess the only way we can avoid this heartbreak is to not own a dog at all...but we can't do that either because we love them!

I really feel for you right now, however its better to have them in our lives, even if its sometimes not for very long....than never at all.

18. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Horrible thing to happen to such a young dog :(

It's totally up to you, but I would also get a second opinion and try different medication if here is any available. Wishing you all the best.

19. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Sending you hugs, have you got someone that could go with you ?

20. Sheen and Eli

Sheen and Eli PetForums VIP

So sorry,
    If she isn't going to get well and is in alot of pain, do your best by her.

Hugs x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice