Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Warning to anyone with high winds

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Clare7435, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

If you let your dogs out for the toilet and shut the door even for a minute..pleeeeeeeeeaze make sure you still have a gate, we have really high winds here tonight and i was trying to sort Dolly out in the kitchen for the night and I let Tex out for a pee but because i didn't want dolly getting back out i shut the door while i settled her and when i went to let Tex in he was gone, the bloody wind has blown off a 6 ft fence and it's just taken me ages to find Tex...found him but my god did i crap myself....neighbours must have been really pissed off with me because there i was running round the streets yelling tex at the top of my voice..in my pj's too.. pity they never thought to come help me eh...got him now anyway, just wanted to warn everyone that the winds are set to get higher and my gte is really heavy and strong yet it still got blown off

2. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Good advice, we have bad winds here now but our gate is secure, dont think Woody will escape tho he's tucked up on the settee:rolleyes:

3. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

My 3 are grounded from the back garden till i get my gate fixed tomorrow...glad woody is all tucked up and warm, mine are now all shut in my bedroom with me :)

4. Nico0laGouldsmith

Nico0laGouldsmith PetForums VIP

I was just about to post a very similar topic! except mine was that I went out and inspected the whole garden before letting my girl out just in case the wind had blown a panel out

poor thing I'm glad you found Tex!

I need to do the same thing regularly tomorrow because the chicken (now it's only one :( :( :( :( ) and the ducks will be out free range and I don't want them getting out!!!!

5. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

Roz wont even venture outside cos of the racket.. will have to put the lead on her and drag her out or she wont have a wee before bed.

6. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

our winds are gusting at 120 km the dogs go quick and come back. TBH i'm surprised I haven't lost the back fence..

7. One of our fencing panels fell down in the wind and I hadn't noticed untill after I called the dogs in. I called them and heard a weird sound (them trampling over the fence) so went out to see what the noise was and realised they had been in the neighbours garden. I had a quick check to make sure they hadn't left a smelly surprise in their garden and noticed their rabbit was running about loose in the garden. Luckily my dogs are used to rabbits as we have indoor rabbits loose in our house and don't bother them. I quickly knocked on the neighbours door and they thanked me and said that they dont think my dogs had opened the hutch as the rabbit gets out by himself all the time anyway:eek: I said they need to make sure his hutch is secure and that he cant escape as anything could of happened to him but they didn't seem too bothered:mad5: I hadn't noticed the hutch before but its tiny. I wouldn't even keep a pair of guinea pigs in it. :mad5:

I'm just glad all my garden faces other gardens and that there was no chance of the dogs escaping onto a road & glad that they are so well behaved around other animals and didn't harm their bunny and will check the garden everytime they go out from now on.

8. Space Chick

Space Chick PetForums VIP

Yep, we've lost our gate :mad:My poor chickens are confined to their runs until it's fixed, and part of the roof has blown off one run :mad5:

9. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

oh dear it's a nightmare isn't it....hope everyone's pets are safe...it's been really noisy here...full wheely bins put out for this mornings collection have blown over and down the street there's rubbish bags everywhere and the noise from stuff blowing about has been making the dogs bark all night so my neighbours will love me this morning lol

10. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

looks like another day of high winds here, hope everyone stays safe

11. alan g a

alan g a Hello ev'ry body peeps. Stavross 'ere init.

When I read the title I immediately thought of my OH after a curry (me too for that matter). Joking aside though, I was very lucky 2 days ago in those high winds. As I was struggling against the wind to get home, a wheel blow across the path in front of me. If Ihad been a second earlier, I doubt if I would be here to tell you about it.:eek:

12. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

Glad you're ok....after the wheel that is...not the curry;)...think I'll make Penny some boots out of a few bricks lol....well if it can blow my wheely bin over at that weight my poor little dog doesn't stand a chance....perhaps I should tie her to Tex and Fizz they can weigh her down :D

13. danielled

danielled Guest

Mum just phoned me to make sure the bins are still there. I can hear the wind blowing from inside.:eek:

14. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

I'm really worried about the rabbit shed in these winds. We have a half dead apple tree next to it that if the winds drag it up it'll go onto the shed and probably destroy it. Not only that but if the rabbits get loose from winds damaging the shed then we have a fox living under the tool shed at the moment who would have a feast.

15. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

Oh no, it's not like there's an easy alternative with rabbits either is it, it's easy for me to just bring the dogs in and clip the to leads to use the loo and Dolly and garry live in the house mainly so not a prob, do you have any cages you can put them in on a night time to keep them safe in case the shed gets damaged...mind you even that wont eliminate risk really will it....hope the shed stays damage free

16. Nithnell

Nithnell PetForums Senior

It's blown a few tiles off and one of the doors off one of the barns :eek: Am glad I got the roof repaired before the winds came in, or i'd probably have no roof left- there was a gap under the tiles and between the guttering, would have lifted it and stripped it clean off. OH was out driving wagons in it, and passed five that had overturned.

17. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

I don't own a single cage other than the cat boxes for taking them to the vets. I can't bring them into the house because they'll overheat. Plus for three rabbits theres no where I can get a hutch big enough in such a short time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice