Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

WARNING: Seresto Flea Collar

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by auspiciousmind, Oct 22, 2012.

1. auspiciousmind

auspiciousmind PetForums VIP

I'm not trying to scare anyone just wanted to post this for anyone considering the Seresto Flea Collar.

The OH bought two Seresto flea collars on Saturday for Button & Romeo at the vets from their recommendation. Within 24 hours both were "not themselves" quite sleepy and very quiet (which for Romeo is very strange).
    Romeo hadn't been for a poo at all and Button has dire-rear. Off came both collars and I boiled up some chicken for dinner and breakfast.

Today Button was quiet but was moving a round quite a lot - I've kept her in all day so I can monitor her bowel movements - of which she had 3 all very loose and runny.

Romeo hadn't been moving around very much at all and over night was really really quiet (usually he's running around waking everyone up). Noticed that he's been walking a few steps then laying down.. walking a few step.. laying down.. he went to the litter tray and laid down to have a pee.. no bowel movement.
    Around 5pm it was 100% worse so rang the vets who told me they had absolutely NO space to fit me in AT ALL.. So after hyper ventilating and crying down the phone they managed to fit me in at 6pm but they were only concerned with Romeo (due to the back legs not working properly).

Vets:

[​IMG]

For anyone that can't see the picture:

Treatment:
    Metacam Injection
    Micralax Enema

Suspect reaction to: Seresto Flea Collar
    Listless, Struggling on back end. Hasn't passed Feces. NO temp , HR/RR normal , Colour ok. Advised metacam and enema as feces in rectum. Re see if concerned.

Consultation fee waived due to suspect reaction.

This morning:

[​IMG]

This evening:

[​IMG]

They both still have appetites and are eating and drinking fine. Button seems to be ok now.. but my poor baby can barely keep his eyes open and won't walk more than a few steps :crying:

2. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Really hoping that Button and Romeo pull through and are back to themselves by the morning. Thankyou for sharing you experience and crossed fingers/paws from us.

3. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

poor Romeo and Buttons, i hope they are better tomorrow.
    what a very worrying time for you. thankyou for the warning.

4. Ang2

Ang2 PetForums VIP

NEVER NEVER NEVER put flea collars on cats. I do hope your babies will be ok.

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I am saddened that a vet would suggest, never mind sell, a flea collar :( Hope your kittens are feeling better soon

6. auspiciousmind

Thanks everyone :(

Button seems to be fine now but Romeo still isn't walking properly.. I feel sick to my stomach. I know I won't be sleeping tonight.

I should of known about the flea collars, I hate myself right now.

My OH went to the vets asked about which flea treatment they were recommending as Frontline combo didn't seem to work the last time we tried it.. they suggested the Seresto and said it was "wonderful worked really well".

:crying:

7. Ang2

Ang2 PetForums VIP

Can you get some activated charcoal from your all night chemist?

8. auspiciousmind

We don't have any all night chemists here buy I can go in the morning ASAP. How will it help?

9. Ang2

Ang2 PetForums VIP

It helps neutralise toxins and poisons.

10. Ang2

Ang2 PetForums VIP

11. auspiciousmind

Ok thank you I will go as soon as it opens.

:'(

12. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Pardon my French, ubt your vet needs a very siwt kck up the arse for selling this. Flea cls are well known for their posonous se effects. He should have recommend another spot on, not this.

I really hope your boy is all right soon. Make sure he stays well hydrated. Force fluis if you have to. I'd alos try feidng some Hills AD as it's a great recovery food. Just be aware that it's quite rich though, so can make diar rear worse. I normally mix a reasonable portion into their normal food or some chicken etc as the sme lorally gets them eating.

13. auspiciousmind

Legs don't appear to be any better, its heart breaking to watch him.
    His appetite is normal , he's fairly alert - currently following a fly around with his head.
    He's had a bowel movement which was basically thick brown water.. not sure if that's normal.after having an enema (he had several solid poos directly after the enema).

Button appears "back to normal" just waiting for a bowel movement. Shes extremely grumbly due to being told in no circumstances is she to leave the house.

:crying:

14. Charlotte1988

Charlotte1988 PetForums Member

Poor kitties! I hope they're back to normal soon :(

15. auspiciousmind

Thank you

Romeo still has an appetite... Tried to belly crawl to my bowl of cereal!
    He's a little bit more 'sleepy' than he normally would be bit I think its boredom and depression.
    He gets excited if you pick up a toy and he tries to follow me.

He's not crying in pain.. you can do anything with his legs and he's not bothered... He just can't walk on them :'(

16. Ang2

Ang2 PetForums VIP

Please get him back to the vets. Its clear he is not making a fast recovery. He really needs supportive care and iv fluids for 24 hours. Your vet should not charge for this as TBH, he has done this!

Please dont take any chances. Phone the vet now!

17. Cats cats cats

Cats cats cats PetForums VIP

This is so sad :( :( i had considered these collars myself because my cats hate their spot on treatments . Thank you for sharing this . I really hope romeo recovers soon , keep us updated xxx

18. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Oh gosh you poor poor thing, how terribly upsetting.
    I agree....back to vets asap for full IV support and MAKE SURE they file this reaction with relevant authorities.

19. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

oh my, i am so sorry to hear this, i do have eveything crossed for your fur baby. I didnt know flea collars were dangerous, i dont use them but know people who do, i thought they may cause itching but didnt know they can do this.:( I am going to advise my friends to get the flea collars off ASAP,:(

20. wellsandmittens

wellsandmittens PetForums Member

Your poor kitties! I hope that Romeo makes a speedy recovery and thank you for posting about this, although I have never used a flea collar on my mogs I didn't realise that reactions to them could be so severe :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice