Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

WARNING! Rabbits that go outdoors!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Paws&Claws, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Hiya everyone!
    Long time no speak ay! ;)

We've had abit of a scare round here recently with scary birds! :eek: and i thought i should do a quick warning to bunny owners!

This week my mum was in the garden chatting to my sister while having a tidy up when a huge hawk flew down with a pigeon in its claws! :eek: The hawk swooped down and mum ran over as it was landing to try help the pigeon. She ran over and the hawk was spooked and dropped the pigeon and the hawk flew away. The pigeon was not injured but was very dazed. The pigeon got up, walked along and then flew into a nearby tree. This pigeon was a very luckly thing!

But now we are concerned... my rabbits (3 nethies and 1 lop) have started going out for an afternoon run when the weather is nice. My run is a trampoline frame with no roof. They are kept an eye on and we have never had any problems with birds or anything of the sort before!

We are now making a roof of netting for the run to ensure the rabbits are safe from being taken. I just wanted to let you guys know that the threat of foxes isnt just the only thing that might try take ur bunnies :(

I think most on here have an outdoor fully built run or completely indoor rabbits but i just wanted to inform the people like me who have an open top run.

Hope that helps :eek: xxx

2. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Its always worried me aswell :( They have the closed in run but they also have then open run during the day. 3 or 4 of them would be safe size wise but the nethies would be at risk. Luckily we have a very fenced in garden, which they would have to swoop right into and I've never seen a bird of prey around here but it is a worry :(

*Heidi*

3. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

bumping this xx

4. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

it was most likely a sparrowhawk and as hard as it is to do people really shouldnt try to save their prey from them, they have to survive and at this time of year they probably have chicks to feed aswell....i wouldnt think they'd bother larger rabbits but i would be more vigilant of smaller varietes loose in the garden:)...ive even heard of cats killing these.

5. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

I agree, they do need to eat and its the circle of life but it happened so quick so mum just reacted how she did.

Im just concerned about my nethies, my dogs are outside with her atm to keep any birdies away. It was a sparrowhawk and we think it lives about 100 yards along the woods from our house xx

6. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

living in the country we have loads of birds of prey around, theres an owl that has a nest on our roof :lol: and a kestral that lurks around, all my runs are fully predator proof and have covers over parts of the run, not just for rain and sun, but so they can hide from birds too

7. Paws&Claws

Paws&Claws PetForums VIP

Thanks for the info :eek: my mums not an expert on birds, we just presumed it was a sparrow hawk but might have been something else. Going to bob a net over the top of the run anyway to keep them safe xx

8. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I'm pretty scared of the seaguls round here I keep a close eye on my 2 when there free ranging

9. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Mine can't ever free range unless I'm out with them anymore. Since moving to London foxes have been a massive issue and I fear that if I turn my back for even a second when they're out they'll be eaten. The one thing I miss about Southampton is the lack of foxes in my area and the rabbits could be free all day without worry. I'd never even seen a fox before moving to London and now I see them everyday sat on our shed watching the bunny shed and run.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice