Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Warning, Norfolk people

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Burrowzig, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

from Agilitynet
    "Note to all Norfolk peeps, we are being warned not to take our dogs to the beach for the foreseeable future. The water is contaminated with something and dogs are dying by drinking the water and eating contaminated star fish. It is a horrendous death. They start vomiting copiously and then just die. A friend of mine has just told me that one of her friend's dogs started vomiting and she got it into the car to take it to the vet and when she arrived at the vets the dog was already dead. Beaches to specifically avoid which have had several deaths in the last few days are Cley and Holkham apparently, though its probably advisable to avoid all of them for the time being".

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for sharing, this is just horrible :(

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Bloody hell! Are they working on what it is?

4. Katalyst

Katalyst A Lanky Lurcher and a Delinquent Dobermann

Starfish aren't edible. Is it possible that it's consuming the starfish that is the issue? Many echinoderms contain natural toxins.

Poor dogs. :(

DaisyBluebell and MiffyMoo like this.
  5. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I wondered about that. Never heard of dogs eating starfish.

6. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

There's nothing on the BBC News about it. Is this real?

7. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

As far as I know there's been a dog that died & several others have been ill.

The beach can be quite a hazardous place, especially if you have a dog that will gobble up random objects, a lot of nasties get washed up that could have come from anywhere, palm oil is often reported round here.

The last time I was at Sheringham there were thousands of dead little silver fish washed up along the tide line, thankfully Rogue wasn't interested in them but it was odd & pretty sad to see.

8. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Ah.... I was going to say 'good to know' but obviously it's not. It's proper horrible.

9. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

:( and Norfolk is my favourite place to take the dogs. Holkham is a beautiful beach!

Poor doggies :(

Hoping they figure out what it is soon, we are booked to go in June and September.

10. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

There is another thread on here about if from about a week ago that I added to, apparently its Palm Oil being washed ashore i will try to find the thread

11. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

There was a Thread all about this a few week's ago titled 'Warning for dog walkers - north Norfolk coast'

12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Some of the further posts on the agilitynet page suggest it is related to trying to eat the starfish which are supposed to contain a neurotoxin. Maybe a lot have been washed up recently - I'm at the opposite end of England so don't know. Palm oil washed up could be a separate hazard, that doesn't usually kill so quickly I believe.

Katalyst likes this.
  13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

This too from the agilitynet page
    "Warning if visiting the beach with your dog. A couple in Felixstowe were walking their dog on the beach at Felixstowe Ferry on Saturday and it eat a crab on the shoreline. The dog was being sick within an hour and although they got it to the vets, there was nothing that could be done and dog passed away within two hours.
    I have now read shared warnings from various posts regarding the same issues in Norfolk, Cley/Holkum beach and understand other dogs have died following beach walks in other parts of Norfolk and Suffolk.
    In all cases it seems that the dog has eaten something from the shoreline, some have stated dead fish, others have mentioned Starfish and in the Felixstowe case a crab. I understand that the issue is being investigated and if any one hears anything please share.
    In the meantime be very careful if you take your dog on the beach and ensure it does not eat anything"

14. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Just emailed my SIL who lives in Suffolk near the coast to see if she has heard anything about this and also to warn her as she sometimes looks after other people's dogs

15. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

JRB123 and StormyThai like this.
  16. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

My SIL knew about the problem affecting dogs in Norfolk, but not the Felixstowe death. She's not far from Felixstowe and would walk a dog there is she fancied a beach walk. I'll send her @simplysardonic's link. Feel so sorry for the people that have lost their dogs

Lurcherlad likes this.
  17. JRB123

JRB123 PetForums Member

Hi - I live about 10 miles away from Felixstowe and it's in all the local papers here. It was a healthy husky type dog who'd been on a beach walk on lead, and became ill very quickly and passed away within hours. Very sad. The fisheries dept are going to investigate. But in the meantime prob better to be safe than sorry and stick with parks for walks :(

18. JRB123

JRB123 PetForums Member

19. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

20. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice