Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Warning... having a rant

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sue&harvey, Jun 15, 2010.

1. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Just been on our normal walk. Since Harvey got attacked, I have been more aware of his behaviour towards other dogs. He is more loopy when he sees bigger dogs, so we avoid them until I can hurried read click to calm and being training. With medium size dogs he's ok but needs to learn how to play appropiatly. My friends dog is fantastic with him and they play for ages, but unfortunately they can't come on this walk with us.

Tonight there was a dog i had never met, they said hello (Harvey on long line) all ok, so off we went. About half way round this other dog started to get boistrous, and growling, so I tried to calmly lead Harvey away while this dog kept following and jumping on Harvey & growling again. I called to the owner to call him off while my "friend" stood and laughed :mad: The owner put hers back on lead then we let them say a calmer hello. She admitted hers needs to learn how to play appropiatley too. we walked along together both dogs on 6 foot leads. Then my friend comes over and says her dog shouldn't have to be on lead as it's Harvey whos the problem, because he's on a long line.
    When I tried to say that I was the one that would be left looking for him, or responsible for causing an accident when a car swerved to miss him, Or that I didn;t fancy a huge vet bill... I was told he would be fine :( His recall is terrible and I am trying to improve it, but this sort of this doesn;t help. :frown: They kept going on about he would always be "picked on" and at risk of being attacked because he's on a lead.

I'm really stuck because my friend picks me up every day to go to these fields, and I don't drive. There isn't really anywhere else near me where he gets a good run and socilasition but I am really begining to dread these walks.

Sorry for the rant, just feel really pants... any miricals welcome

2. rona

rona Guest

Can you not split up for half the walk, you to do training and your friend can mix better with other dogs

3. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

I don't honestly see where your friend is coming from! Sure a dog may feel more restricted on a lead, however it's a long line and if your dog doesn't have amazing recall, then ya, I'd keep him on lead. We keep Holly on a lot if she's not behaving.

Could you not split up, or find someone else to go with?

4. BasenjiBaby

BasenjiBaby PetForums Newbie

Myself, 2 dogs included, Molly off lead Mickie on long-line, frequently go for walks with another 3 dogs and Mickie NEVER gets picked on. He's a Basenji mix & although his recall can be great it all depends on his mood at the time & whether there's anything more interesting around:( He can also be a little dog aggressive, esp black dogs or breeds like Rotties, Dobs etc so the lunge line is perfect because I can grab him if we see another dog & introduce them slowly & calmly.

Dont worry what others say & do whats best for your doggy xxx

5. leashedForLife

how nice... not!
    maybe its just me being delicate, but hun, really -
    with * friends * like her, who the bloody H*** needs enemies?! :yikes:

if he were My Dog, i would say, sorry, its not up for discussion - he cannot be relied upon to come back,
    and lets not argue - its a nice day, lets enjoy it!
    :thumbup: sometimes ya just have to say, my dog - hes my risk,
    its my rules.
    hopefully the new-dog will settle down + become a good playmate...
    and hopefully Ur ~friend~ will become more-supportive + less critical, too. :thumbsup:
    don;t let her push U into taking chances, hun - he is Ur dog, and YOU are the one whose heart
    could be broken - stand yer ground! :thumbup:

BTW - if U go to post #22 of the dog body language sticky on Dog-Behavior + Training,
    theres a whole long post on *calmatives* - for dogs And for people.
    ;) use some for BOTH the dog + for U - before that next walk.
    then take a deep breath, ~smile~ and ~breathe~...

6. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Thanks all. I will try and split like Rona says. I am waiting for rescue remedy as my mum posted some out to me... shame Zkylene not for humans :rolleyes:
    I am going to look into finding a group with younger dogs to walk with too, who will accept a long line. Thanks for the replys guys :)

7. ToddyxxMillie

ToddyxxMillie PetForums Member

i can see where you are coming from when i lived in Gran Canaria- Puerto Rico i had 2 dogs and there wasnt anywhere they could be walked and would always come across stray dogs! one of the dogs was a nitemare on a lead bouncing around etc one day he took off across a road couldnt find him anywhere luckily my neighbour found him on this cliff. So i agree you should keep your dog on the lead if you are not sure as you would regret it if anything did happen.

8. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Hi How long did you live here?
    we are in Playa del ingles, and you know what the police are like about dogs on beaches :rolleyes: so we go behind the hospital at Meloneras. So the road surround the fields. Luck your neighbour found him!!! Sound scary especially the cliffs there :scared:

Will go tonight but then won't see them for 2 days as we are off to the mountains tomorrow. We have lived here a year now, and never been :eek:
    So it's pack up a hire car, and off exploring with the OH and Harvey. Be prepared to be bored with loads of pics :D

9. ToddyxxMillie

ToddyxxMillie PetForums Member

lived there about a year! lived up by the europa centre if you know where that is? Had some friends who were moving back to England had 2 dogs that had to stay 6 months for quarantine reasons so had them for a while was hard work there just wasnt anywhere were they could stretch their legs! good luck on your walk! X

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice