Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

WARNING - Bob Martin Spot On Dewormer

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by MichelleN, Aug 16, 2009.

1. MichelleN

MichelleN PetForums Newbie

I'm new to this forum and decided to join because of a bad experience I've had. I want to share it with other cat owners so they won't make the same mistake.

I recently gave my cat , Agatha, and kitten, Sputnik, Bob Martin's Spot On Dewormer. I had seen the brand around and assumed it was as good as any other. The first sign I had that something was wrong was when I applied it to Agatha and she tried to shake it off. Medicine sprayed onto my clothes and face - and it changed the colour of my top! Later I noticed it must have sprayed onto the door and cat door, near to where I was holding Agatha, because paint had blistered up and the liquid medicine had eaten into the hard plastic of my cat door! I thought, what the h*ll have I put on my cats?! Sputnik seemed fine - no salivating (the only written warning on the package). I washed the rest off Agatha because it had left white crusty patches in her fur. So I was wary but the cats seemed fine so I left it.

The next day Sputnik was lethargic, had terrible diarrhea, wet himself and was almost lifeless and shaky when I picked him up. At 6 months a spot on treatment should be safe. I took him to the vet and was told he had inflamed intestines and a fever - and had essentially been poisoned by the worming medicine. The vet said he's seen loads of cases like this after Bob Martin Spot On flea treatments and wormers. He said even their flea collars have been known to cause problems. He gave my kitten two injections and it's taken 2 days for him to behave normally.

I was sensible enough to act quickly before lasting damage could occur to my kitten's digestive tract and liver. I've seen similar postings related to Bob Martin treatments for cats, dogs, and guinea pigs so I know this isn't an isolated case. My vet said he couldn't understand how they are still in business. I will be writing to Bob Martin and to Watchdog. If you have had a similar experience, please consider doing the same. You would never see this with non-prescription medicine for people. There would be warnings and products would be recalled, and doctors would speak up. Vets should speak up too, to someone who will listen to them.

2. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

Unfortunately this seems to be a common problem, thank god for this forum or I prob would have used it on my girls. I'm not sure any of the bob martin product are any good and I certainly don't use any of them. I def think something needs to be done, you were lucky but I bet there are a lot of people out there who were not so lucky. Hope the kits are back to their selves soon.

3. Angelic1

Angelic1 PetForums Member

It's amazing how Bob Martin's are still in business!

I've never used any of their products myself as I've always heard that they are pretty ineffective with regards to worms and fleas etc..

It's a good job you were quick to react and get help for your cat. It's so annoying and frustrating to hear of companies getting away with this sort of thing :mad:..well done you for trying to change things.
    :)

4. chloe231188

chloe231188 PetForums Newbie

I remember my mum was told and recommended by her vet not to use any bob martin products..i can imagine it was because he's seem similar cases to yours.. plus there not very effective apparently because they dont actually kill the fleas eggs, just the fleas themselves!
    hope your kitten is feeling better now!

5. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

I wouldn't use any "medicines" for my pets that I could buy off the shelf in a supermarket.

My dog had an absolutely awful reaction to a Bob Martin flea collar about 6 years ago. I've stayed away from them ever since.

6. jaxx

jaxx PetForums VIP

My vet has always told me that Bob Martin products aren't very effective and I'm glad now I took his advice and used Frontline and Drontal instead. I shall be passing this info on to my friends with animals.

7. Frin13

Frin13 PetForums Member

blimey! thank you for the advice,
    hope your cats are ok now poor things
    x

8. MichelleN

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies. Since posting my warning I've written to Bob Martin (UK) Ltd., Watchdog and Tesco. I've heard back from the Managing Director at Bob Martin's and from someone at Watchdog. I'm waiting for more information as promised by Bob Martin's, which I will post if useful.

In the meantime I strongly recommend that if you or anyone you know has had a bad experience with Bob Martin products (flea treatments, wormers, collars), to write to Bob Martin (UK) Ltd. There are many sad stories online that the company needs to hear so they can change their products or be held to account.

General company address:

Bob Martin (UK) Ltd
    Wemberham Lane
    YATTON
    North Somerset
    BS49 4BS

The Managing Director is Mr Savi Madan.

Thanks for sharing this with your friends and family.

9. msrsimpkin

msrsimpkin PetForums Newbie

I just had a new, 13 week old, kitten and when I brought her home yesterday I noticed she had fleas. So I went out and got some Bob Martin Flea Spot On for Cats and Small Dogs so that I could treat my Chihuahua at the same time.

I treated them both according to the instructions yesterday evening and both animals seemed fine. But when I checked on the cat this morning, I noticed she'd got diarrhea.
    I thought I'd leave her and just see how she got on, but it's gotten a lot worse throughout the day. It's so bad now, that she's just doing it as she walks, she doesn't even go in her litter tray (as she was before), and I've had to keep her shut away and go in there every so often to clean her up, because she was getting it everywhere.

She's still eating and drinking, and she's acting normally, but I'm taking her to the vet first thing in the morning (I don't have an emergency vet nearby). Luckily, my dog seems fine (although he did become slightly uneasy and nervous for a while, but the leaflet assures that it's a possible side effect in dogs, and it did wear off).

But I will never use any Bob Martin products again, and just wish I'd seen this before I used it. I just assumed that no one would make a product for pets that actually poisoned them! :mad:

10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience and warning.

Over the counter (OTC) medicines of any kind should never ever be used on your cats, unless your vet has already okayed it. Especially anything for fleas, ticks or worms, any anti parasite medicines on store shelves, none of them are safe for your cats. Ever.

lolu

11. msrsimpkin

msrsimpkin PetForums Newbie

I'll certainly remember this in the future.

Kitty seems better this morning. She seems to be able to actually control her bowel, although the mess I found in the litter tray was still very wet. I'm calling the vet now, to see what they suggest. I'm just so angry with myself for not checking this out first.

Thank god for this forum, at least I know what's caused this.

12. catcuddles

catcuddles PetForums Newbie

I had the same problem with one of my cats. I gave my cat the Bob Martin wormer, and he too had severe diarrhoea. It got so bad that he too was going to the toilet while walking.
    The problem is that this happened over 10 years ago! and the company is still going. It is unbelievable!

We need to inform the supermarkets of the dangers of these products, as it is them that are keepin Bob Martin in business. If the supermarkets stock them on the shelves, then the general public will buy.

I will never, and have not bought since, any Bob Martin products.

13. cattastic

cattastic PetForums Newbie

Well, I can only agree with the other posts. Following the death of my last cat three months ago, I noticed a black and white cat was hanging out on my road, he was very lethargic and looked in a bad state, with not much fur on his back half, very thin and evidence of a significant flea attack! He's a stray and I feel fine about adopting him as no caring owner would knowingly let him get in this state.

So to cut a long story short, four days ago I took him in to my house, got him down to the vet, had his fleas treated, and injections for a secondary bacterial infection and to soothe his skin. I've named him Snicket and he has been eating a huge amount. Suspecting from his swollen belly and enormous appetite (his thin weight aside), the vet said he should weigh about 6 kg, he's currently just over 4 (he's a big fellow) I decided to deworm him as he had regained some energy and the vet had said he might need deworming.

So a couple of hours ago I applied Bob Martin spot on deworming treatment, he had been very alert and then became lethargic within about 20 minutes, and rather unresponsive to any attention, completely at odds with his previous behaviour!

I cleaned off all the deworming treatment, with a wet cloth, very carefully and he seems to have recovered slightly and become more alert. I'll see how he is in the morning, after a sleep, I can't state it absolutely, but I really do strongly suspect the deworming product is to blame. He's got a wonderful temprament and I'm looking forward to seeing him return to full health.

I hope he's o.k. and goodness knows why I didn't ask the vet for a much better product. I've even noticed you can get drontal at pets at home, so that's what I'll be buying. Hopefully there will be no long term effects.

In summary, all I can say is to agree with all the posts. If you want to treat your animal for any suspected condition, consult your vet and use a recommended product. If you are worried about the cost, you can buy them from a pet superstore. But the health of your animal is not something worth messing around with. I won't touch Bob Martin products again, ever.

14. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

oh my goodness this is so scary! and thank goodness you acted so quick with your fur babies.

ive got a bob martin flea collar downstairs, only didnt use it cos my cat was pregnant and says not to use on pregnant or nursing cats .... i am so glad i havent used it. The cat i bought it for has cat dermatitis doesnt bear thinking about what it could have done to her.

How can they stay in business if this is going on?

15. kelseye

kelseye Banned

oh my god i just gave that to my dog ......i will not buy that for my kitten....

16. MichelleN

Shocking that nothing has changed in 10 years. How come other products from vets don't seem to cause side effects? When I had my bad experience I wrote to Tesco but they didn't want to know because it isn't a Tesco product. I was disappointed with the response I got but still glad I did it, for the sake of my kitten. :)

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your cat and then a scary experience with your new adopted kitty! Difficult start! I hope he's okay now. Did you take him to a vet or did he get better on his own after the deworming nightmare? Would you consider writing to Bob Martin to tell them about your bad experience? I wrote to them and actually got a reply. I think if everyone who had a bad experience reported it then Bob Martin would do something. At the moment they can fob off a few complaints as insignificant cases. I've read so many complaints and horror stories but only once has someone said they wrote to the company. Maybe I'm deluded but I think it's worth taking the time to write or even report them to someone. I wish more vets would do something about it - if they see problems related to these products.

17. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Did you not ask your vet about worming before buying the Bob Martin wormer? TBH, I wouldn't touch Bob Martin stuff or buy either flea or worming treatments from a supermarket or pet shop.

18. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Many wouldn't but sadly, there are still so many people who don't know how toxic OTC things can be for their pets. All we can do is keep putting the word out.

I have written to both Sargents and Hartz about their products that kill cats, but have never received any replies. The almighty buck rules all in those businesses.

19. Dee2uk

Dee2uk PetForums Newbie

:mad2: OMG how idiotic do I feel....I have just used this product and then looked up the info online,and came by this thread:mad:
    My cat just came running in and outside,where she was salivating,all foamy stuff comming from her mouth,and going literally barmey (I did put it right behind her neck,so she couldnt reach).Anyway Ive just managed to quickly wash it off,being scratched in the process,did didnt care about that,after what Id read.I must say the date from the thread was 09,so Im thinking well they must have got it right by now....IT SEEMS NOT.So yes I will be giving them a very wide berth,although I shall be writing to them....but alas I doubt they will listen 2 years later :-(

20. Ali82

Ali82 PetForums Senior

If anybody's cat suffers an adverse reaction to any medication please report it here:

Adverse Reaction Home

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice