WARNING Advocate!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by nikkix5, Jun 2, 2010.

1. nikkix5

nikkix5 PetForums Senior

Just treat both dog's with Avocate spot on, Oscar my older dog has came in from the garden and straight up on the sofa. I now have a big patch (about the size of a small plate) what look's like melted leather:mad: didn't even give it a thought about him been on the sofa as he always get's up, but forgott about the stuff i put on him, my hubby will kill me :eek::eek:

2. nikkix5

nikkix5 PetForums Senior

I think i've made it worse, i've tried rubbing it with a soapy cloth but if feels all sticky and gooey :arf:
    Any idea's on what to do?:(

3. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

it melts leather??? :eek: what on earth is it doing to our dog's skin then?

Caroline Sullivan likes this.
  4. nikkix5

nikkix5 PetForums Senior

That was my thought when i've seen what it's done :mad:, it's sort of took the top off the leather and feels all sticky.
    I've just checked the leaflet and it just say's it may stain :mad:

5. nikkix5

nikkix5 PetForums Senior

I've took a pic to show the damage :mad:

Attached Files:

• sofa.jpg
      sofa.jpg
      File size:
      63.6 KB
      Views:
  6. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

:eek: scary thought!
    I would ring advocate and see if they can advice.

7. JJAK

JJAK PetForums VIP

Ohhh ya fighter!!

stain...thats not a stain....thats demolition of the flea drop kind!

8. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

if its doin damage to the sofa i wonder what sort of damage it would be doing to the dog's skin as sevenpets has said.

Ring advocate.
    and then ring your vet to check your dog out, just in case.

9. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

This was posted on the net some time back.

A veterinarian presented with a peculiar case of a poodle stuck in its crate last week traced the problem to the pet’s spot-on flea treatment, as reported by Edie Lau for VIN News Service.

Residue from the product Advantage, which was applied between the poodle’s shoulders, somehow came in contact with the plastic base of the animal’s crate, dissolving the plastic and causing the dog’s belly to stick to the crate.When the dog wouldn’t come out of its crate the next morning, the concerned owner brought the dog, crate and all, to Dr. Tej Dhaliwal of North Town Veterinary Hospital in Ontario, Canada. Following two hours of investigating, Dhaliwal concluded that benzyl alcohol, an inactive ingredient in Advantage, was to blame.Bob Walker, a spokesman for Bayer in the United States, confirmed that Advantage contains benzyl alcohol, which reacts with certain plastics. He said he consulted with colleagues in veterinary services and was told, “We know it can happen, but we’ve never seen it.” In fact, a lead veterinarian at Bayer thought most of the veterinary community was aware that the product could react with plastic. None of the three veterinarians I asked knew of this — and all had prescribed countless doses of Advantage and Advantix. The incident certainly surprised Dr. Dhaliwal, a practitioner for 13 years, who posted his experience in an online discussion board of the Veterinary Information Network (VIN). Some veterinarians said they were familiar with the potential for the product to damage plastic, but many were astonished by the news.Dhaliwal said the owner of the dog, a 15-year-old poodle mix, had applied Advantage to the dog before bedtime. He speculated that the dog rolled over in the crate before the liquid pesticide dried. Presumably, residue of the product made contact with the plastic floor of the crate, causing the plastic to dissolve and “glue” the dog in place overnight.

The white dog had a patch of dark gray plastic about 6 inches by 4 inches stuck to its fur. Following the advice of representatives at Bayer, Dhaliwal said, he removed the remaining plastic using the Dhaliwal the contents of another two tubes of Advantage. Once freed, the dog was fine. Bayer Animal Health, maker of Advantage, acknowledged that the flea treatment was the likely culprit and offered to pay the owner’s veterinary bill, compensate him for loss of salary and replace the crate, Dhaliwal said.

Walker at Bayer said the company veterinarian he consulted speculated that benzyl alcohol is found in a variety of spot-on flea treatments besides Advantage. However, it’s not possible to determine whichproducts contain the compound by reading their labels, as manufacturers are not required to list inactive ingredients. Officials in Canada examined the lot of Advantage used on the dog to check whether it contained an abnormally high concentration of benzyl alcohol but found nothing unusual.All owners and veterinarians should be aware of the dangers of the products we use on our pets, but this one took me completely by surprise! Who would think that something we apply to the skin could melt plastic? And how many times have we applied a product like this to a cat or dog, and placed them in a crate so they could not roll on the carpet or come in contact with the baby while it dried? Does anyone else wonder why there is not a warning on the box about this danger?

Mo

10. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

That's shocking!! Glad I don't use any of those sort of things on my dogs skins.

11. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

:eek: Yikes! I hope that its maybe just the treated layer of the leather that its damaged, I know they are sometimes coated?

Where did you buy the sofa and do you have insurance? You might be able to get it repaired through insurance if you have it. We bought a sofa at reid, its lovely but hubby would pick the one leather sofa thats made of a type of leather that cant just have a bit replaced if its ripped or torn the WHOLE sofa would need to be done :rolleyes: (yeh and then we buy a dog :p although he isnt allowed up on the sofa and doesnt chew it.

I too would say ring advocate to see what they suggest too I hope you can sort it

12. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Thats horrendous....and the poor dog that got stuck to the crate. :eek:
    Does anyone know if frontline have this inactive ingredient?

13. nikkix5

nikkix5 PetForums Senior

I normally use frontline but mentioned to the nurse at the vets yesterday about me having a garden pond and sometimes the dog's try to drink from it so was worried about lung worm as there is snails in the pond so hence why i got Advocate.

Just rang the insurance and they are sending someone out in the next 48hrs to have a look to see if they can repair it, i'm a really annoyed to say the least :mad: they have said if they can't repair it they will only pay out for that sofa which means i will be left with an odd sofa :mad::mad: yet i have extended accidental damage and i'm paying £649.00 per year for buildings & contents i also have to pay £125 excess :eek6: Dunno wether to contact Advocate to see what they say.

Can't believe about that poor dog been stuck to the crate that is horrendous had i not got Oscar off the Sofa who know's he may have been stuck too :eek:

14. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I'd most definately be calling the company who make that product!!!! I suspect your insurance company might require you to do so anyway?

15. nikkix5

nikkix5 PetForums Senior

I 've just also rang Advocate and they want me to e-mail pics to them, first they said "well it does say you have to leave the ointment to dry, as it contains alcohol, as it could stain", i then blasted them with " but it's not a stain, my sofa is ruined it has actually burn't the top layer of leather off my sofa, which is far from a stain". I don't think i'll get anywhere with them but it's worth a try :(

#15 nikkix5, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  16. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

just keep digging your heels in with them and keep at them, they cant deny the state the sofa is in, good luck xx

17. welshdoglover

welshdoglover PetForums Senior

Bl**dy hell, I never knew Advocate could do that, if I were you I'd be bombarding the makers with lots of pics and complaints.

Also, I'd let them know that you will be posting the info onto web forums I'm sure if they're sales figures were harmed they'd soon shell out for a new sofa.

Hope the dog is ok btw x

18. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Oh my god! :eek:

19. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Well, I used a product called Advantix on my Nelson, and it melted a patch in his skin as if he'd had acid poured on him. Tooks weeks at the vets for the poor boy to recover and he was really in pain...couldnt wear a collar. Since that day I ahev sworn any dog i own will only wear collars for parasites, and of course also pill for endoparasites.

20. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Just to clarify he was not left at the vets, but we visisted daily for cleaning etc!