Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Warming up before off lead exercise

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rolosmum, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

Do you/should you warm you dog up before you let it go for offlead exercise.

And how?

2. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

We do. Brig walks to heel off lead, pups on lead for first ten minutes then let go (obviously not Zak anymore:() I dunno if there's much point as all three get very overexcited when they know we're going out and warm up quite nicely in the kitchen first!

3. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Ours always walk on the lead before being let off, so thats a warm up.

Also massage mine often after a long walk and sometimes they just 'ask' for a massage, especially my veteran girlie ;)

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

On lead walking to the offlead area.

5. SixStar

SixStar Banned

No, mine don't to be honest. We live very rurally so it's out the door and onto the feilds, no leads involved for the Mastiff, Westie and Bernese.

The Greyhounds stay on leads all the time anyway, but it's not something I've ever really thought about :eek:

6. Starlight Express

Starlight Express PetForums Member

We warm up by walking to the park/farm on the lead. Then they are off at 100 mph! Nutters! We also do cool down after a long walk. Nearing the end of the walk say about 20mins before I reach home they are back on the lead walking, so they are cooled down gradually. Mine walk some distance each day so I always carry water for them. :001_smile:

7. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Yes you should warm up the muscles and warm (cool) them down after strenuous exercise, certainly before any form of canine sport or if they are going to belt off like lunatics on a walk or when you open the car door. The easiest way is five minutes or so sensible lead walking before and after.

8. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

Thanks for the replies, has got me thinking that as they are both young and Rolo especially goes hell for leather a little lead walking (if they dont choke to death in their eagerness) might be best when first getting out of the car, just to protect their young bones.

Heel walking is great just not at the start of a walk!

9. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Green bones as my mate calls them!

I always warm up before exercise, I always walk the horse before he's allowed to trot. It is a total trauma lead walking but after several consistent days with the canny collar, the boys are tons better. Zak is just shamefully vocal (he's just been howling at Bear because Bear wouldn't give him the toy he had :eek:) so whines most of the way!:eek:

They've been taught to heel without leads but obviously we can't risk that with Zak.

10. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I seen on lead walking as a warm up.. then on lead walking on the way back as coming back down..

11. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Holly walks to heel, well, loose lead, on the way to the woods, where she can then go offlead, and back on lead sometimes during the walk, and on the way home :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice