Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Warm noses!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by GSDF&F, Jul 9, 2009.

1. GSDF&F

GSDF&F PetForums Newbie

Hi all.

Apologies if this has been addressed before, but can anyone suggest why our dogs nose is sometimes warm, & at other times cool, or even cold.

Our present German Shepherd (2yrs) is as fit as a butchers dog, (no I'm not a butcher):wink5: her long coat is glossy & silky, eyes bright, her appetite is good, shifting her meals with gusto & has boundless energy. But her nose appears to be more often warm than cool.

It's not just the hot weather we've been having, as her nose has sometimes been cool during it.

As an update to an earlier post, (27/02/09) I queried her nose losing pigmentation. So during her annual vet check & jab, I asked the vet about it,
    & her reply was that it wasn't unusual for this to happen in dogs & that it could even be self inflicted as a result of them rubbing their noses on the grass/ground when retrieving balls at speed, and Cassy goes in for the retrieve like a missile.:)

Sorry about this "nosey" question.:D

Cheers

BeeJay

2. rona

rona Guest

My dogs nose varies in temperature, it's usually warm after sleep and excitement.
    That's odd about the pigment, I don't think I answered on your other thread as I thought it was a more serious problem. A lot of working gundogs lose pigment in there noses, due to bramble scratches. Pale skinned dogs are more likely to have this happen.
    A friend of mine used to have a Goldie with an almost pink nose

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice