Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wanting to leave my dog out over night?? Help

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by billyhutchy, Jun 3, 2010.

1. billyhutchy

billyhutchy PetForums Junior

My dog is 9 month now and she has always been locked in her crate over night she also uses this has her bed to get some sleep during the day, i was wanting some tips on how to start leaving her out over night??

2. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

I would start by first of all making sure that there is nothing lying around that she can chew, and that there are no wires she can get to to chew. I would make sure the doors are firmly closed on any rooms you don't want her wandering into. Make sure she wees and poos last thing before you go to bed to avoid any accidents. Then I would leave the cage where it is, and allow her to go to bed as normal, but leave the cage door open and let her take it from there.

3. billyhutchy

thanks alot im sure il b awake alnight but il give it a go

4. westielover65

westielover65 PetForums Junior

hello I just wondered how you got on ?? our 2 pups have been sleeping in a crate/pen at night with the door shut, and we had to start leaving it open because there was a bit of "tension" between them one night and we have left open every night since and they have been very good apart form one night when they did do a bit of wallpaper stripping for me !! (better than using a steamer)!! :thumbup:

5. billyhutchy

she's been fine heard her last night get out of crate but i looked down stairs she seen me and got straight back in so going well, but thats the first time ive heard her but dont no how many times i aint ha but been no mess or destruction ha ha.

6. mum2three

mum2three PetForums Junior

We did this by accident last week:D.

oh came down in the morning and we'd both forgotten to close his crate. To our surprise he was curled up asleep in there and there was no sign of him even being out of it. I can't believe he never noticed it was open, unless he just slept right through. I would have expected to find him sprawled on the sofa. Haven't taken the chance of doing it again though. He's very boistrous and loves to chew anything, I'd have to empty the room.

Sorry, not helpful, just had to share:D.

7. billyhutchy

dont b silly its good to hear others story's, mine is a little boistrous aswel but she didnt do out so hav been leaving crate open freely a u say there proberly notice. mine been a bulldog she is a good sleeper anyways ha

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice