Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wanting fed during the night

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by CourtneyDee, Feb 13, 2020.

1. CourtneyDee

CourtneyDee PetForums Newbie

I have a cat that’s adopted us. We’ve took him in and his original owners know of this and are happy he’s being looked after. We let him stay at night but he wakes me up two or three times a night wanting fed. If I try to ignore him he will meow and wake everyone else up which isn’t good due to work/college. I’ve spoke to a vet and she says he might have hormone issue which causes him to feel hungry but what I’m asking is if there is anyone else in this position with their cat and what do you do to stop him from waking you up during the night?

2. CourtneyDee

CourtneyDee PetForums Newbie

I must also add that he is like this during the day as well. If anyone goes to the kitchen he will follow ( he could be sound asleep and as soon as he hears someone moving towards the kitchen he races you) and mooches for food! I thought at first when he first started coming to my house it was survival mode as he didn’t know when his next meal was but it’s now been 2/3 years and he’s still the same.

3. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Hello @CourtneyDee and welcome :)

My thoughts are that perhaps he still hasn't realised that there will always be food. We cannot set a timeframe on a cat for them to "get" this concept if they've had many years without regular food access - when we adopted Oscar for around six months he didn't realise there was food for him whenever he wanted it. He's been diagnosed with several medical conditions now, one of the medications he has is a steroid which makes him want to eat (thank goodness, after he was anorexic!) - and if I don't leave food out in the night for him (upstairs and downstairs as we don't know where he will be) he will wake us up really really early going food crazy. He tends to go about 1am and 5am for a nibble (we see on the cameras) and then comes and sits on the bed whilst we sleep.

Can you leave food out for him, or do you have other cats that would eat it? I think you will have a more pleasant sleep if you leave him some food. It might be hormonal, it might be behavioural, it's definitely worth checking to see if his hunger has a physical cause. I presume your Vet is thinking thyroid issues? If so, that's easy enough to diagnose with a blood test.

There are lots of cats here on Cat Chat that have access 24/7 to food - so you are not alone in this! Good luck getting to the bottom what is going on.

chillminx likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @CourtneyDee and welcome :)

Can you tell me what foods you are feeding the cat? Is it dry food (kibble) or wet food?

What quantity are you feeding him per day? How many meals a day?

Is the previous owner feeding him too?

How old is the cat?

If he is over the age of 7 has he been tested recently by the vet for Diabetes Mellitus or Hyperthyrodism? Either of these could make him hungry frequently.

Are his stools normal? No diarrhoea?

How much does the cat weigh? Is he maintaining his weight? (do you weigh him every month and keep a record of his weight?)

Is the cat being treated for worms and fleas regularly (once a month for fleas and once every 3 mths for worms). One type of tapeworm uses the flea as an intermediate host, hence why keeping him free of fleas is doubly important.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice