Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

WANTED - Westie X Scottie mix

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Samantha Blount, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Samantha Blount

Samantha Blount PetForums Newbie

Hi ! I am on the search for a Westie X Scottie mix and wondered if there are any breeders known? I live in Birmingham but would be willing to travel for the right little pup. My partner and I would like to get our new addition in September. x

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Why a crossbreed and not a westie or a Scottie? Just wondering?

3. Samantha Blount

Hiya, I already have a lovely little Westie girl. She is 5 years old. I have been looking into other dog breeds and I have come across this mix and I really like them! I would love to speak to someone who has one or a breeder to find out more. x

4. danielled

danielled Guest

What's wrong with a purebred scottie or westie?

5. Samantha Blount

Heya,
    Nothing :) as mentioned I already have a Westie girl and I've been doing some research into other breeds / cross breeds and we would really like a westie X scottie.

6. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I think the point is, you'll be hard-pressed to find a responsible breeder who health tests and pays attention to the welfare of the dogs in a mixed breed. So you would a) be supporting irresponsible breeding practices, and b) might not be getting the best dog in terms of temperament and health.

Alternately why not look at some rescues and see if they have any mixed breed dogs looking for a home?

FeelTheBern, lorilu and lullabydream like this.
  7. danielled

danielled Guest

Well you won't find many if any good breeders for this crossbreed. So honestly you'd be better looking for a purebred westie or scottie.

8. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

It's not very likely you'll find an ethically bred cross breed wo's parents have been health tested for inherited diseases and abnormalites. In cross breeds traits are inherited from both parents and it's a toss up which traits will dominate.

lullabydream and danielled like this.
  9. Samantha Blount

Thanks guys. There is a lady on this forum who owns a westie X scottie mix so hopefully she will be able to speak to me and give me some advice. I would like a pure black dog the same size as my westie but I'm not too keen on the long snout of the Scottie dog. x

10. lullabydream

The joy of a crossbreed though...you may find a breeder, hypothetically this is who is planning a litter, you tell them you are interested because puppies will be ready for September and they could be all white with long snouts!

11. Samantha Blount

We were looking into Cairn Terriers however I know that the brindle can change throughout the course of its life and coming across a pure black pup is very hard to find

12. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

Cairns and westie are one and the same dog. Each westie will have a brown 'spot' somewhere on it's coat as a throwback from breeding from the cairn.

Samantha Blount likes this.
  13. lullabydream

Miniature poodle? Keep them in a puppy cut, don't have to shave their face.
    Fantastic dogs, not given enough credit. Super intelligent too.

LinznMilly and ouesi like this.
  14. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

Too intelligent for their own good ;)

lullabydream likes this.
  15. Samantha Blount

We would still like a terrier ideally. Is it best to get pure breed than a cross then? I understand if buying a cross I would need to look thoroughly into the owner and the parents of the pup

16. SingingWhippet

SingingWhippet PetForums VIP

This is necessary whether you're looking at pedigrees, crosses or whatever. It just tends to be easier to find a decent breeder of pedigrees, not least because you have the breed clubs which are an excellent starting point.

This guide to buying a puppy is well worth a read, as is the accompanying list of questions to ask a breeder.

lullabydream and ouesi like this.
  17. lullabydream

No one here is against crossbreeds, or mongrels per se. Many of us own them ourselves.

However, currently there is such a trend for people to breed because they have an unspayed bitch, and an unneutered dog. Adverts are all over the internet.

We see here time and time again, pleas for help from people who have bought puppies with unsound temperaments, health conditions that may have been avoided if only the breeder had tested for health conditions prior to breeding. Than taking the puppies for health checks to say yes this puppy is healthy at 8 weeks.

Don't get me wrong, some KC registered puppy breeders can be just as bad, for just doing bare minimum health tests when others go above and beyond. No health tests do not guarantee that certain problems will not occur, but some are guaranteed not too, and good breeders will always breed for temperament. As regardless that they show, they want the dogs to live in pet homes too.

Terriers are cracking little dogs, and I can understanding why you want another. There are vast amounts available to choose from, in a variety of colours even black. So just have a good look around, start looking at breed clubs for contacts, and champ dogs. Not all good breeders advertise there but many do. This may save you the heartache of having a sickly dog to care for, for it's whole life. Which may then be cut short.

elmthesofties and ouesi like this.
  18. Samantha Blount

Thank you very much for your advice ! That was very useful. I will certainly look around as I need to feel confident in wherever I buy our next little pup.

lullabydream likes this.
  19. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Why does the terrier have to be black?

20. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

maybe the OP likes black. A lot of people (me included) look for a specific colour in the breed of choice.

Samantha Blount likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice