Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wanted a small to medium sized dog...

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by Gothy Robyn, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Gothy Robyn

Gothy Robyn PetForums Newbie

I would love to adopt a small or medium sized dog. It would have a great home. My only problem is that we are on a low income as I am a student and am on benefits.

I cannot afford one hundred and fifty pounds or two hundred pounds all at once that the rescue places are looking for. I am looking into getting pet insurance which I can afford to look after my new dog should he or she gets ill. I have a small but great flat and love walking, and indeed have to walk so he or she would be the best walked dog and loved dog in the world!

I feel sad that soo many places are charging soo much and it means that I cannot adopt a lovely little dog, when I know that there are soo many out there needing a home.

If someone could help me with this I would be very happy.

If I may add: I have been brought up with various dogs, everything from doberman cross' to Jack Russells over the years and I have learned how to train dogs from my dad who has had dogs since he was sixteen! I feel that I am capable to look after and train a dog giving it, as I have said before, a great home.

#1 Gothy Robyn, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

I don't think that rescues charge alot when you think that the price of adoption covers neutering, vaccinating, microchipping and any vets fee's the dog might incur and also the cost of keeping that dog and all the other dogs safe.

You may well find that rescues may wonder if you can't save for the money for £100 adoption then what if something did come up? Most insurance has about £50+ excess that you would have to pay yourself and most ask you to pay for vet's fee's up front.

Rescues appreciate that not everyoen is made of money and often people who are on benefits are the ones out there who are nto out all day so can make great homes - but they will want to be reassured you will be able to manage.

Are you anywhere near the blue cross in Suffolk - why not haev a chat with them or maybe find out about fostering whilst you can save up for the adoption fee?

3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Sorry but if you can't afford that amount in one go then maybe you shouldn't be considering a dog at the moment. When I got Toby from the rescue centre I paid £120 which included all his vaccinations, 1 months free insurance, micro chipping, removal of a fatty deposit on his leg, flea & worming treatment whioch I think is really good considering the cost of each individually.
    That was just the start though; we then had to get a bed, bowls, leads, toys, food, more worming/flea treatments, chews, etc. Despite insurance he has still been to the vets 3 times in the past couple of months which was over £40 each time. He's worth every penny but it's not cheap having a dog or cat.
    Maybe as suggested you could consider fostering or dog walking at your local rescue centre. I used to do this before I got Toby & LOVED it, you got to meet so many lovely dogs. How about maybe seeing if a local dog walker/sitter needs any help so you might even get a few £'s for walking dogs as well. Despite the recession the lady my dog goes to is doing so well with her business she has had to get help.

4. Gothy Robyn

I know all that, I am looking to get pet insurance. I have no problem paying for things, just paying for that kind of thing up front is a lot.

I am not going to be on benefits forever, I will be a uni student full time in September so I will be in a better position to pay for things. I know how many things a dog needs to have and have been getting them in for him or her.

I do understand the fact that they are wormed and chipped and stuff, but if the charities could accept like an ongoing thing like DD to help with costs rather than a lump sum would help out a lot more in the long run.

I think that it may put people off adopting a dog with that kind of money being asked for up front, people that could probably pay half of that off someone for a 'cheap' puppy from a puppy farm. Which I know that no one wants!

5. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

I would suggest you save, but also save another £150 minimum too before you even start.

Even if your vet (many many dont) will claim direct from the insurrer you will still have the excess to pay for which will mean nearly all the minor niggles and worries. Usually the excess is £50 but can be up to £100... you will need to have that cash spare if your dog needs to see a vet. Some vets will not claim directly from the insurers, so you would have to pay upfront for any vets bills and claim the money back which can take weeks (if not months if its a long term illness).

You will also need to be saving for their next set of jabs, flea treatments, worming treatments, food, beds, bowls etc.

I'm not saying its impossible! (hey i'm a student, a single mum and on benefits too!), but it takes alot more of your income than I think you realise.

Editing to say... often the adoption fees are not actually for your dog. They are a minimum donation which goes towards the next dog waiting to come into their care.

When you consider how much they actually spend..

£45 - jabs
    £100 neutering/spey
    £10 a week food
    £20 worming and de-fleaing

thats on top of any vet treatments they have needed for whatever state they came into rescue with!

#5 billyboysmammy, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  6. Gothy Robyn

I have decided to help out a local (to me) animal charity with fostering a dog rather than going the whole hog. That way I will be able to help out the charity and give a dog a chance in a good home even though it will not be permanent or I can decide to adopt him or her.

I am also going to be making doggie coats and giving them to the home too :) so all is well :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice