Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Want to see something exciting? (pics)

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by HerdingSnakes, Jul 24, 2012.

1. RabbitMonster

RabbitMonster Banned

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh the spiders are back! :scared:

*hides in fear*

2. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

Lol! My apologies to all the real slugs out there :)

I am amazed at the colours of the spiders...electric blue?? just beautiful!

3. HerdingSnakes

HerdingSnakes PetForums Member

There are some really stunning spiders out there, especially true spiders that come in a mind boggling array of shapes and sizes. That said, I think I prefer less bright spiders, like this little one:
    [​IMG]
    Pterinochilus chordatus by HerdingSnakes, on Flickr

Sorry Rabbitmonkee!

4. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

I have only recently been able to have Tarantulas and have now got praying mantis and flat platted millipedes. I love the centapedes but a bit worried about getting them. I have also got some jumping spiders they are fasinating things i love watching them jump onto there prey. Carry on with the photos they're brilliant we need more

5. HerdingSnakes

Sounds like you have a pretty cool collection starting, got any pictures? I'd love to see!

Centipedes are cool and there are some that are great for beginners, like this girl: [​IMG]
    Ethmostigmus trigonopodus "bluering leg" by HerdingSnakes, on Flickr
    Sadly, though, pretty much all centipedes in captivity are wild caught with a small number of first generation captive bred and captive hatched mostly in Europe, so, if you do fancy a centipede I'd advise against it because as it is right now the hobby is anything but sustainable. I'm not getting any more myself because of this too, as much as I love them. :crying:

That said, there are plenty of incredible invertebrates available that are readily captive bred, so it's all good. Have you thought about assassin bugs? I recently got back in to keeping them, if you're looking for something a bit different then these guys are for you.
    [​IMG]
    Platymeris biguttata by HerdingSnakes, on Flickr

6. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

My photos arent as good as yours but i will start a new thread so not to take over yours

7. HerdingSnakes

8. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Wow!!!!!!

Fantastic pictures :)

9. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

Wow, they are awesome photos. I especially love your versicolour, sooo pretty :)

Centipedes give me the willies a bit tho (one of very few critters that do), creepy little blighter they are. Any millipede pics? I love those guys....

10. HerdingSnakes

Thank you! I don't have her any more as I stopped keeping new world Theraphosids a couple of years ago but they are fantastic spiders.

I do have some millipedes actually, a friend of mine got some babies from his Archispirostreptus gigas and he gave me some. I don't check on them much as they remain buried but every few months I dig them up to have a look, add fresh substrate etc and they're twice the size.

[​IMG]
    Archispirostreptus gigas by HerdingSnakes, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Archispirostreptus gigas by HerdingSnakes, on Flickr

I also have some freshly matured Platymeris biguttata, they're pretty cool.
    [​IMG]
    Platymeris biguttata by HerdingSnakes, on Flickr

11. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

They are lovely i have some plated millipedes that are brilliant i would love some rainbow millipedes but havent got another empty tank so i have told myself i cant have anymore i have also just got some sun beetles that are very colourful and seem really easy to look after as they love the bug jelly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice