Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Want to check in re pup sleeping (14 weeks)

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by will44002001, Feb 22, 2021.

1. will44002001

will44002001 PetForums Newbie

Hey all, just wanted to check how I should be modifying the night time routine with pup who is currently 14.5 weeks.
    When he is sleepy at between 10-11pm we take it in turns to put him in his crate in the kitchen and wait where he can see us till he falls asleep and then go to bed leaving his door open with a baby gate on the kitchen. When he wakes himself up in the night he goes to the gate and whines so we take it in turns to go to him and do a nighttime toilet run and put him straight back to bed, waiting again till he sleeps.
    Currently there is usually 1-2 toilet trips in the night and he will be up at around 5:30/6 and wont settle by himself. As its early I sit in the lounge to watch Netflix and he will settle and sleep till 7 (breakfast).
    We take his water away at 9pm.
    Sometimes the settling after a toilet run can take a long time on a bad night (up to half an hour).
    We've been doing this more or less from 8 weeks.
    Is there anything we should modify in this routine?
    Some nights (like tonight) I worry this will be our life for the next 16 years and mostly want some reassurance :)

thanks all - good night

2. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

Well, it certainly won’t be your life for the next sixteen years. :) It just takes time - as he gets older he should be able to hold his bladder/bowels and settle down.
    Don’t withhold water, though - it’s a bit cruel really to deny him access to water.

3. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Mine always get up early, and as it gets lighter you may find it gets worse.

Please don’t withdraw water as that is cruel even though mine rarely drink at night at least they can if they need to

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Ragnar&Biffy

Ragnar&Biffy Biffy

Just from my point of view is there a reason why you leave the crate door open?... If given the acces to leave the crate he may not feel safe maybe why coming to the stair gate and whining... No right or wrong with crates just what works with some dogs won't work with others and everybody will have their correct opinion... Just curious why you leave the crate open if it's for water then fair enough.. could you put bowl in crate?

Prob down the the fact like a child. He falls asleep with you there and wakes up wandering where you have gone which is why he comes looking for you.

Is he ok in the crate during the day when you leave the room?

Lurcherlad and Ian246 like this.
  5. will44002001

will44002001 PetForums Newbie

We've just never closed the crate door as we were keeping it gradual, in some ways I'd forgotten about it. During the day he often sleeps wherever we are, usually doesn't go to his crate except to eat or if that is where he woke up and is still tired. His water is just outside the crate and he knows where that is. He's never been 'put' in the create as such; I guess the kitchen is his crate really.

Interesting re the water, in The Happy Puppy Handbook by Pippa Mattnison it suggests removing water an hour before bed time which is what we have always done. Pup doesn't seem to mind - gets it back again at 7am

6. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

We 'trained' our pup to hold it in over night. So we figured out the times he normally woke up for a wee and set an alarm slightly before that so we were proactively taking him out. We then started to stretch him by half an hour every few nights until he managed a whole night.
    Not sure if that's how you're 'supposed' to do it, but it worked for us :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d have his bed in my room next to mine so I can get him outside fast if he needs a pee break and get straight back into bed afterwards.

If he’s waking and whining for company I would just lay my hand on him and tell him gently to settle.

(In reality, I’d let him snuggle in bed with me at that point ;))

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice