Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Wannabe Dog Groomer WHAT IS IT REALLY LIKE??

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by Gemstar1112, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Gemstar1112

Gemstar1112 PetForums Newbie

Hello Everyone,

I have just joined so this is my first post:smile5:

I would like advice from any dog groomers mobile/salon who can tell me what it is really like??? I would like to know if being a groomer means getting bitten a lot? do you have to deal with aggressive dogs? what if you are nervous of a breed for example rotties?

I understand that it is not an easy job and requires a lot of hard work,but to the pros out weigh the cons?

I love the idea of being able to help a dog feel better especially if severely matted, and to give then some relief if the are in discomfort or pain, but is this enough to be a groomer?

The city & guilds course that I would like to do is very expensive so I want to find out as much as possible for people already in the job before I spend ££££

Also if you start as a mobile dog groomer but have no fancy pants dog grooming van, are clients happy for you to bath dogs it their baths?? or is there a portable dog bath available?? I ave looked on all the grooming supplies websites but found nothing other that a booster bath an that dose not look very portable :confused:

I look forward to any advice any of you can give me, thank you

2. hawksport

hawksport Banned

bumpity bump

3. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Hi :)

i'm not a professional groomer, but I do a little bit in my spare time. You will deal with nervous/aggressive dogs from time to time, but since you're the groomer and it's your business - you have every right to refuse to do a dog that you feel may be a danger to you, after all - i'd rather miss out on doing one dog that I wouldn't enjoy grooming anyway than have to miss out on weeks or months of work because it's bitten through a nerve and made a mess of your arm or hand! I also keep a variety of muzzles to hand, not everyone agrees with using them and not every owner would be happy to have their dog muzzled, but again, it's your business, your health and your choice - if the owner is not happy to have an aggressive dog muzzled, they can go elsewhere or groom it themselves!

However, the majority of dogs are lovely. A good thing to do also, is to take on as many puppies as you can - that way you have a 'blank canvas' of a dog that you can help to train to be calm during a groom and to make the process as pleasant and fun for the puppy as possible, that way you'll have a fabulous dog that enjoys coming to you, behaves for you and you get to build up a lifetimes bond with the dog and owner - and you should have yourself a client for life :)

It's an expensive job to start up on, i've only got a small set of equipment and don't have a bath (I groom from home and bath dogs in my own bath) but must have spent almost £1000 on various pairs of scissors, brushes, combs, clippers, clipper blades (which are far more expensive than I thought, and you ideally need 2 or 3 of each size because they get too hot to use on the dog after a while) and all sorts of other gadgets and accessories - including a dryer, a grooming table and all the other essentials!

For me the pros would be that you get to meet a huge variety of dogs and gain experience with many different breeds (although you'll quickly notice a trend in popular breeds in your area - I am overrun with Cavaliers!), it's a fun job that you're always learning no matter how much or how little training you've had, you're always changing and developing and finding ways of getting the job done quickly but professionally, you get to do everything at your own pace in your own time (just think of the general pros of owning your own business!) and so on :)

However there are a lot of cons - it can be hard at first to build up a good client base, and it's very nerve wracking to go from practising on friends/families/neighbours dogs to actually grooming 'customers' dogs. You need to be confident in yourself and your abilities. You need to have quite a strong stomach too - as I found out when one of my customers conveniently forgot to tell me her dog had the runs :mad: you also need to be able to put up with some difficult people! One of the reasons I went into grooming was because I *thought* it would be so much better working 'with dogs' rather than people - but the owners can be very, very difficult - for instance, their version of 'short' can be very different to your version of 'short' and can often create an unhappy customer if you don't try to get out of them exactly what they want. It can be very easy to misunderstand people where styling is concerned!

I could write all day on what's good and what's bad and what you need to start out and such, but I need to get to work, so i'll leave it there and hope it helped you! If you want to know anything else, feel free to PM me, like I say, i'm not a professional but I have experience in grooming salons and going it alone :)

#3 Tigerneko, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  4. charlottedecastella

charlottedecastella PetForums Newbie

Hi, I too am looking into a career change and would love to groom professionally! I am looking at different courses but there is no where really local to me other than Moulton College in Northants. They offer a 2 week intensive course (City & Guilds level 2) or 1 day a week for 14 weeks but I am looking at doing the 2 week course. Has anyone trained at Moulton????? Any good or Bad feedback???

As I still work full time I would have to groom part time to start off with and as and when my client base grows sufficiently look at going full time.

I already have some equipment such as a grooming table , 2 sets of clippers, small selectiion of scissors / brushes etc but also wondered how people managed without a portable bath!

5. jweaver24

jweaver24 PetForums Junior

@ charlotte - i know that a lot of mobile groomers in our area ask the clients to bath and dry the dogs before they get there. This would make each appointment shorter and less costs for you....but may not give the same quality finish.

Others in our area just use the clients bath and do it in there themselves...but i would not suggest doing this long term as grooming can be difficult on your back enough as it is with a grooming bath, let alone bending over regular baths all day, every day.

Jenni

6. chrissiehayward

chrissiehayward PetForums Newbie

Charlotte, I also am looking at doing a dog grooming course in Northampton. I've looked into moulting college but they only accept people who are already working in that environment. ( which is a tad unfair) I don't really know where to start. There are lots of courses out there but are so very expensive :-(

Chrissie

7. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

Very Rewarding. Very Frustrating at times :D

You have to be a 1,00000000 % and more a Dog lover and understand Dogs.

I Always put myself in their shoes ( So to speak ) patience and understanding is a must.

You will come to love and care for each dog that you groom and look forward to seeing them again ''Well Most'';)

people always ask do you get bitten alot.. Well that all depends on yourself to be honest.... It helps to be confident and know a Dogs body language are they Naturally Aggresive or Nervous Aggressive? there is a difference it's very rewarding if a certain dog is nervous and with each Grooming session you see their confidence grow and in time they enjoy their grooming it means you've gone some way to making it a pleasure for them.

If you are scared of a certain breed ''you mentioned Rottie's'' The Dog will sense your nervousness and that goe's to them if you are not confident it will affect the Dog. i.e they will sense that something is wrong.

All the rotti's I do are pure heaven only danger I have is been knocked flat on my back and licked to death.

I have more little nips of little Terriers rather than bites from large Dogs.

I Groom between 25 and 30 Dogs per week and I think in the 2 years that I have been working for my current company I've only had one bite that bought tears to my eyes.

You learn to watch the Dogs body language and learn to move your hand quick if you see any teeth being shown...I Do use muzzles on the one's that I know will bite I Don't like using them but sometimes needs must.

All in all a very Satisfy Job...You meet lots of Dogs and owners Some Days are fun and happy some are Despairing But most of the time for me its Brill.

My best bit is the kiss from the Dog when finished as if they are saying thank you for making them feel clean and lovely with a brand new haircut.

Oh, and Remember if you are clipping a puppy for the first time more time will be needed to indroduce him to everything that will be new to him and also he will ALWAYS Remember his 1st Grooming/Clipping experience so make it fun and he will always be happy to come back to you for his next groom :)

I have been a Groomer for 34 years now and I'm so pleased I chose to be one.

#7 snoopydo, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
    JRB123 likes this.
  8. Adrian Chedgzoy

Adrian Chedgzoy PetForums Newbie

Hi there I’m also setting up my own pet service I’ve bought insurance but I’m not looking to pay huge amounts for training when I can learn myself via online grooming videos and research for free! I’d like to know if grooming is easy? As I will be practicing on my own pets to see how I do if I mess up I’ll just ring a groomer lol but I’ll be extra careful and smooth my dog with praise

9. Adrian Chedgzoy

Adrian Chedgzoy PetForums Newbie

10. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

I hope you are joking!!!

11. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi.

Firstly the posts you are responding to are over 5 years old and the posters are no longer active so you are unlikely to get a reply from them.

Also if you are only practicing on your own dogs how are you hoping to become familiar with all the different coat types and breeds as well as a range of different temperaments? Just curious.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice