Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wanna see lots of cats?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Charity, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

OH and I paid a visit to our local CP rescue centre today and took some food, blankets and toys. Here are some of the lovely cats I saw there, most were very chatty and came to say hallo or it could have been 'get me out of here'. Must admit my favourite was the little tabby and white girl.
    ferndown june3.JPG

claire8234, vivien, Brrosa and 12 others like this.
  2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Oooh just look at those black beauties :Cat:Cat All gorgeous though and I hope they find their forever homes soon xx

vivien, Forester, Ali71 and 5 others like this.
  3. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

Fantastic pictures! Is that a Persian? You dont see a lot of those in rescues. Could even be a flame point himmie

I love the tabby ginger :) hope they a find great homes

#3 Smuge, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    vivien, Charity and ewelsh like this.
  4. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

I am surprised to see a ginger, Tabby and possible Persian in a rescue!

Look at all those black&white or black beauties! I can't bear to look :(

vivien and Charity like this.
  5. Franlow

Franlow Guest

I don't understand why Black & black & white cats don't get homed as quickly as the others. 11/16 of these photos. I would have the b/w top left, or the black 3rd row second from right

vivien, crystalwitch and Charity like this.
  6. Charity

Yes he is a Persian, he is a cat and a half as you can see. He weighed 7.5 kg when he came in to the rescue and is now down to 6.8 kg., here's the whole picture.

This is where Bunty and Toppy came from and I used to be a volunteer there.

UNKNOWN5.JPG

7. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Bunty & Toppy were in a rescue :eek: who on earth wouldn't want them!

Do you know why the Persian was put in the rescue @Charity

8. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

That is crazy. When you said cat and a half I was thinking most persians look fat due to all the hair, then I saw the picture... good lord.

I love him tho!

9. Charity

I can't remember why he was there, I read so many stories.

Bunty was there as a stray with a kitten and Toppy was with his brother, they came from a home with too many cats the owner couldn't manage. We didn't get them together, Bunty came six months before Toppy when we lost one of our other cats.

ewelsh and Gwen9244 like this.
  10. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

All so gorgeous. Never understood why so many black cats end up in rescues.

Charity likes this.
  11. popcornsmum

popcornsmum Popcorn relaxing!

Awwwww I want them all :( so beautiful

Charity likes this.
  12. Brambles the cat

Brambles the cat PetForums Senior

Its a known fact black and white cats or also know as felix cats are hard to home same as black cats .the only cats i wont take are ones that are bred to be fashion accessories like the munchkin cats which are known to have joint problems plus there poor legs are to short .why is it still allowed baffles me if its a natural thing its fine with me. but when someone goes out of there way to breed a Munchkin cat which are not yet recognized as a "breed" by the Cat Fanciers Association (CFA), which is the world's largest cat organization with short legs thats to far in my book .sorry for moaning but i feel very strongly especially whens theres 1000s of cats in shelters that need homes

Attached Files:

Charity and Smuge like this.
  13. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

My last cat was bLack and white, he came from a shelter and he was by far our favourite. My OH loves black cats. Idk why those colours are so unpopular.

Tali obviously came from a breeder and I do feel bad for not giving a rescue cat a good home. But I have had my heart set on a persian for most of my life and we really wanted a kitten as neither of us had ever had one. I feel bad about it but I did make the right choice.

I will no doubt rescue abother cat in the future tho

crystalwitch and Charity like this.
  14. Brambles the cat

Brambles the cat PetForums Senior

Its what people like its just one of them things i like dark blue or white or silver cars i did mean cars not cats .lol. but i dont like other colours. To be honest you know more than likely which cat would be picked in the picture from charity at the rescue centre Its the Persian cat.it doesn't make people bad but it upsets me when so many others are left because of the colour .plus can someone tell brambles off for groaning in her sleep .lol.its windy in cheshire tonight.

crystalwitch, Charity and Smuge like this.
  15. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

The rescue I work for is exactly the same. We always find homes for tabbies, gingers, white and all black but black and white are hard to rehome. It's so sad.

I've always loved tabbies because my very first cat was one. So even I tend to be drawn to tabbies though the more I am on the forum the more I need a variety of different colours!!!!!

I struggle with knowing I'll probably always have an MC now (once you have one you can't stop) but at the least helping with a rescue I feel that I am in some small way giving something back to those cats struggling to find homes.

I urge anyone who can't for any reason give a home to a rescue cat but still wants to help; to try to donate food/litter/sponsor a cat, give a little time to help at fundraising events, volunteer behind the scenes with paperwork etc or donate old stuff to sell at jumble sales/eBay, make cakes or crafts to sell. Rescues are desperate for help not just on the rehoming side.

#15 huckybuck, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    crystalwitch, ewelsh, Matrod and 3 others like this.
  16. Charity

Most of mine have been rescues, even my Siamese, and I wouldn't have anything else on principal, no matter how much I adore certain breeds, because of the growing number out there without homes. I don't think I have ever come away from a rescue with the cat I actually went there to adopt, looks aren't what's important, its the personality and when you meet them you just find one that seems to gel with you. I often go for the underdogs (cats) and choose the nervous ones who aren't showing themselves off very well. like Bunty. You can never seen the real personality of a cat in a rescue but some people aren't prepared to work at bringing out the best in a cat, they want one who looks good or is instantly friendly. Personally, I think there's nothing more rewarding than taking on a cat with a few hang ups and watching them blossom with TLC.

Over the years of having cats since being an adult, not childhood cats, I've had

4 tabbies
    4 black and white
    2 gingers
    2 white and tabby
    1 Tortie
    1 Siamese

17. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I will confess that I am easily swayed by looks as shallow as that may be. My bias is very much towards black and white cats, either Tuxedo or 'cow 'pattern, I just can't help but be drawn to them. With love at first sight based on looks, I then fall for the personality whatever it may be.
    Funnily enough the brave and forward cats in the rescue don't pull me in. I know that all of my own cats would present themselves terribly in a rescue situation even though they are all very loving at home. Oh apart from Millie of course who would stage some kind of takeover and relish the chance to extend her domination.

18. Charity

Besides those cats in the rescue centre, there are also these at our local CP Branch. A lot of the cats cared for by the Branch are transferred to the rescue centre. There are lots of kittens which are going like hot cakes of course and these. The grey has been reserved but, alas, the rest are still waiting. One is very stressed in rescue which is causing him to have tummy troubles. They are all lovely and it makes me so sad.

Branch cats.jpg

vivien, Shrike and Paddypaws like this.
  19. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Of course the grey has been reserved......I think that is seen as one of the most desirable colours.
    I would snap up all 3 of the others....especially that adorable black guy with the rusty ruff.
    Ahh, @Charity it is so tough thinking of them all waiting to be chosen, but their time will indeed come! Look at Jimmy....my neighbour could almost not believe that anyone would choose him when there were kittens and cute adults on offer, but his new owners adore him.

vivien, Charity and Shrike like this.
  20. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

I sponsor a pen for Cats Protection - rescues like a known amount coming in. Oddly though the one I sponsor is in Bridgeend but I'm in Nottingham! They send me an update every few months with piccies of the cats/kittens who've benefited from it :).
    I also follow my local branch on facebook so I can respond when they send out a plea for stuff. Recently they needed kitten food for the start of kitten season so I dropped off a few boxes of special offer stuff from the supermarket.

vivien, huckybuck and Charity like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice