Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Walking my dog is getting me down

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by lulabobs, Jul 28, 2009.

1. lulabobs

lulabobs PetForums Junior

Only when i take her to the park that's because she pulls and yanks me about all over the place to get off the lead and be with the other dogs.

When i walk her round the streets she's the perfect dog by my side more or less, never pulling me up the street anyway.

However the last time i took her to the park with my friend and their 2 dogs my god she pulled so hard she gave me blood blisters and my hand. Surely i should be about to walk around a park without always letting her off and for her to behave. It's beginning to get me down now and im not wanting to join my friends on our normal walks together.

She does loose all reason when she see's Jarvis and Harvey there my friends dogs, she like a dog gone mad:cursing:

2. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

How old is she?

3. lulabobs

sorry forgot to put that she's nearly 8 months old lab

4. Do you attend any training classes?

5. The won't pull, can't pull publication is good, but cannot remember who wrote it! someone rowbottom I think!
    DT

6. lulabobs

No i didnt but am now seriously thinking about it. Is it too late or never too late .

7. Badger's Mum

No it's not too late

8. Absolutely NOT! it is never too late, the important thing being that you be kind but firm and consistant!

regards
    DT

9. Badger's Mum

I just thought as she does no how to walk on the lead properly, maybe don't let her off lead when you get to the park untill she calm's down, it might work:)

10. lulabobs

Thats what i've started doing, as she was becoming to expect to be let off her lead as soon as we met up with the others.

So now i've started to wait until she is calm that was just before i went away, that was the time she gave me a blood blister pullin so hard.

I am going to continue to do this tho, It doesnt help tho when my other friend lets her dog off and is jumping all over Roxy :cursing:. She has to let her's off as soon as he's out of the car as he will pull her over which is isnt the best suituation really .

Maybe i should just walk her on my own :(

11. Badger's Mum

It's hard but you will get there in the end It's good training for her to be on the lead when the other's are off, sound's like the other dog need training more than your's though;)

12. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I dont see how you can expect your dog to walk quietly on the lead if your friend's dog is off the lead and jumping all over her. Doesnt sound a reasonable expectation to me. You either need to both let them off or do a bit of training together and keep them both on.

13. lulabobs

the trouble is my friends dog is the one that needs training but she cant see it. He thinks nothing of jumpin on a picnic table in a park and she just laughs. me and my other friend both hav new pups and are tryin to teach them right but its hard with the other dog around .

14. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

sorry im not gonna be much help ... except i have a 3year old choc lab who went to training classes and it never workd for us he still pulls (well did still ,untill we got a canny collar)
    he pulled my oh over and broke 3 of his ribs! ouch :(
    he does walk better now with and with out the canny collar ,but he tends to try it on every now and again!:rolleyes:
    again sorry for not being much help
    if i was you i would walk him on your own for a while, just till hes used to the ground rules ;)
    julie xx

15. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Save your hands by getting a long, strong lead - around 2 metres. Wear it around your body off one shoulder like a bag, or around your waist. When the dog pulls, lean back. You can still use a hand for fine control, but use your body weight to counteract the pulling. And yes, go to training classes, don't let your dog off when excited, be firm, calm and consistent.

16. lulabobs

thanks ladies well today im walkin to the park where i normally let her off im hoping the long walk on the way will tire her out before we get there so she wont be so full of energy. I wont be lettin her off until she is calm thats for sure.

I find myself gettin quite grumpy with my friend with her crazy dog thinkin you can see im tryin to train her please keep your away for now .

17. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

sorry your having problems with your dog. join some training classes they are good if you find the right classes/trainer.

i persoanlly would give going to the park a miss with your friend for a bit, and go at different times and work on your dogs training. when he's done as he's told then you can let him off for some free time and play with him etc. Your not going to get anywhere if your friends dogs is there jumping all over your dog, your friend needs to pull her head out of the sand and control her dog before she has a totally uncontrolable animal on her hands. I know i would not appreciate someones dog jumping all over my dogs and she would be told to control her dog

18. zanussi

zanussi PetForums Member

If you still want your dog to be able to play with your friend's dog, could you arrive at the park before your friend? That way you have a chance to let her off the lead calmly before the other dog arrives.

19. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

I have taught my dogs from as soon as they go out as puppies not to pull - if they do it means turning back and retracing our steps! After a few times they learn.

If this failed, I took them out individually, and kept changing direction without warning which made them watch me rather than what was going on around them. My neighbours must think I am mad:confused:

20. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Thats what i do with one of my dogs i am sure the other people in the street thought it was a new type of dancing with dogs :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice