Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Walking in the dark.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Barryjparsons, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Barryjparsons

Barryjparsons PetForums Member

Took Deco for a walk tonight about 7pm. Down the road and onto the common which is very dark. There is barely enough light to see trees let alone other people.

Deco has a mini flashing bike light on his collar. I have my seriously bright back up dive torch with which I can light up the world and blind cessna pilots.

I see a bloke walking with his dog on the lead about 100 yards behind me with his dog. So I hope he is going to go in a different direction across the common so I can let my dog off, play, do some training. (It is his only 20 minute walk of the day, I like to make them exciting.)

Luckily the bloke goes off in a different direction in complete darkness. I see another walker with a torch coming from the opposite direction heading towards him.

Next thing I know much growling, snapping and shouting ensues as the man with the torch has a dog off the lead. Man with torch is shouting " I didn't see you, I had no idea you were there or that you had a dog"

I spent the rest of the walk scanning the area looking for said bloke swathed in darkness, constantly recalling my dog and worrying he was going to come across him before I had a chance to call him back.

Moral of this probably boring story is .. Put a light on your dog or at least use a bloody torch if you are walking in the dark!!!

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I do like lights on dogs, but must admit I hate walkers with torches as you just get blinded by them and can't see a thing; they always shine them right at you!! I carry one in case I need it but either don't switch it on or have it and point it at the ground or cover it with my hand if I think someone needs to see there is another person about.

3. archiesmum

archiesmum PetForums VIP

All three have flashing collars and hi-vis jackets, I always carry a torch so I can pick up the poo.

I must admit I try to keep to well lit roads at night, I am always scared there could be some lunatic around the corner!

Val xx

4. Autaven

Autaven PetForums Member

I don't walk mine in the dog for this reason alone - you never know who else is out there in the dark even if you and your dog are luminous :(

5. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

Totally agree!! I carry a torch for the areas I cannot see in and don't like to have a torch in my face like its a police raid!

There is one guy where I walk that has a head lamp and I'm seeing spots for 5 minutes after I've walked past him.

6. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Folk with bright torches make me feel vulnerable as you can't see anything but the torch, anyone could be behind the torch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice