Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Walking for Miles

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SEVEN_PETS, Jun 2, 2010.

1. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Hiya

On our holiday this year, we are going to be walking along coastal paths, which look to be around 3-4 miles long. Daily, Ollie usually gets 45min off lead walk in the morning, with 10-15 minutes walking on lead. In the afternoon, he gets 45 minute - 1 hour on lead walk. And in the evening, he gets a 15 minute on lead walk.

Firstly on our holiday he will be on lead on the coastal paths, so I'm planning to put a harness on him, but don't know what lead to use. We currently have a training lead, which is 2 metres long and a long line. I'm thinking of getting a 3-4 metre lead so he can explore a bit. Anywhere you can think we could get one?

Secondly, he's not going to be used to such long walks. How do I build up his fitness? How long roughly would it take unfit people :lol: to walk 3-4 miles along I guess, quite hilly terrain, as we are walking along a cliff?

#1 SEVEN_PETS, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  2. xxsarahpopsxx

xxsarahpopsxx PetForums VIP

in the 45 min off lead that ollie gets will make him more than fit enough because he will cover about 3 times more distance than you do and in 45 mins slow pace you would have probably covered at least 2-2.5 miles anyway. It really depends how fast you will be walking along the cliffs, ie would you be sauntering to get a nice look at the view etc and in that time he would be getting a breather.

I can walk up arthurs seat and around in ust over an hour and that is longer than 3 miles and up a steep gradient, and i have a bad knee so im guessing it would be the same unless you are very very very unfit - which i doubt lol :D

U going anywhere nice?

3. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

When walking at a good pace the average person will cover about 3 miles an hour. Add in some photo stops, some dog sniffing stops and some hilly bits, and I guess 3-4 miles would take up to 2 hours.

4. rona

rona Guest

I would think if you are dawdling, it wouldn't take you longer than 21/2 hours.
    I would do that in about 11/4 hours.

Have a look at this and you can measure the distance
    Google Maps Distance Calculator

5. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

I usually walk Alfie 4 miles and it takes me hour and a half,that is stops for lots of sniffing and chatting to other doggie people:)

6. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

i can walk 3 to 4 miles in approx 40 mins to 1 hour depending on the gradient. As for your dog's fitness sounds like he is fit enough to cope.
    If you have him on a harness and he slips over a cliff there is a good chance he will fall out of the harness as they are designed for your dog to pull forward and when they fall they just slip out backwards, this happened to my jrt on a costal path last year and luckily the drop was only 4 feet- so i would recommend a propely fitted collar attached to a lead for safety. Also, in case you haven't already thought about it, secure the lead around your waist so if the dog falls over a cliff you anchor him. It's amazing how easy it is to lose grip with your hands if the weight of the dog is swinging on the end of the lead.

Here's wishing you many happy and safe costal walks :)

7. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Thanks guys. we are walking along the pembrokeshire coast to dog friendly beaches. its 3-4 miles to the beach one way so i think we'll do the coastal path one day and then drive to the beach another day. there are two huge sandy dog friendlh beaches near where we are staying so ollie will be getting lots of exercise. :lol:

8. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

Regards the extra long lead .... have you thought of going to the chandlers and getting a length of webbing ... they may even sew the clasp on for you securely .... Mine did for me. Didn't cost much either as it was "end of roll"

C x

9. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Thanks for the warning about harnesses metaldog. I might get him two collars and attach a lead to both of them for extra security. Would this be advisable?

Pembrokemadhouse - I've never heard of chandlers. :confused: what is it?

I've found a clix house training line which is 2.5m. Would that be enough do you think?

10. chrissie-h

chrissie-h PetForums Junior

Amazon have 10 and 15m leads, or you can try equestrian suppliers and get a 'lunge lead' (i think this is what they are called?) for horses. I have used these when walking huskies, so they're certainly durable enough! And yes, a wlaking belt is a very good idea. Try 'culpeppers' dog supplies - they cater for sled dogs inparticular, and have good walking belts. I think they also have very long leads. Enjoy your holiday, it sounds lovely :)

11. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Sounds like a great holiday:)
    I think as far as the longer lead goes could you maybe attach two 6 ft leads together? Not sure if this is a silly idea, but I thought I'd mention it.

12. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

that's a good idea. never thought of that. we use a 1m lead attached to a 2m lead for taking Ollie out in the garden at night and it works well. I might just use that. Thanks. :D

here's what I'm thinking of doing:

• Two collars, the black fluffy one (strong and new) and the red fluffy one
    • Two leads, blue lead (1m) and black lead (2m) attached together
    • Clip leads onto black collar (cos its brand new, it should be stronger than his normal red collar)
    • Attach halti link onto the black collar, and clip onto the red collar
    • Put red fluffy harness on (for something to grab onto if there is a problem)

Do you think this is safe enough?

#12 SEVEN_PETS, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  13. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I dont think it can get much safer than that:p:)

14. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

:D
    I think he'll be well safe like that :thumbup: Buckle collars are stronger than the clip together variety.

I went to Pembrokeshire and walked along the costal path with mine last year (that's where Pippi slipped the harness). Where abouts are you going? I stayed at a little caravan club site at Freshwater, it was wonderful walking the dogs on the beach every morning :D

15. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

Chandlers is a boaty type shop .... they use webbing for all sort of things in boats, worth a look if you have one near you x

16. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

The Clix long lines are 5 metres or 10 metres - I have both but rarely use the 10m one.

I would advise using it on a harness though. Longlines should never be used on a Halti, and aren't ideal on a collar if you have to grab the dog when he's running.

I find on long walks that the long line attached to Merlin's Mekuti harness is ideal. he doesn't tend to stray too far, so for the most part the line is trailing behind him, easy to get hold of when necessary.

As to distance, I did a walk of about 7 miles-ish a couple of weeks ago and it took 3-4 hours.

17. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

That's a great link, thanks Rona.... I just measured the long walk I did last week and it came to 7.5 miles, so not a bad estimate of mine, then!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice