Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Walking Ferrets???

Discussion in 'Ferrets' started by shezzy, Jul 28, 2009.

1. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

How many of you walk your ferrets???

I used to walk my sisters ferrets and my friend walks hers, but I was just wondering how many of you walk your ferrets :)??

I plan on walking my boy, I get him on sat :D:D:D Still don't have a name for him though. I was also wondering what age they should be before you take them out?

#1 shezzy, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  2. Frita

Frita PetForums Newbie

I love going outdoors but I hate my harness. Woody says it is like a mini greased pig contest to get it on me. We are getting better at it. I am not use to being on a leash either but if it means I can go outside I will put up with it.

3. Frita

Frita PetForums Newbie

I would like to add, I do the walking. Woody isn't very smart but I love him. He will catch on. I just have to be patient with him. :)

4. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

I walk mine every weekend :)

I take them to the local woods or the beach :D

5. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

Ahhh not easy to put the harness on then is it? lol

Ahhh the beach, that would be fun lol :p My O/H says he'll drive me where ever I need to go but he's refusing to get out the car and walk with me lol he thinks its embaracing, I wanna show him that im not crazy, other people walk their ferrets too hahah :p:p :D

6. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

Oh yeah I got another question :D
    Dont wanna start a new thread though since i just started one lol :p

Is it safe to introduce the ferret to my kitten, or should i wait untill the ferrets a bit older??? or should i just keep them seperate all the time??? Just asking because I saw ferrets and kittens playing with each other on youtube. My kitten was 4 months yesterday lol :p

7. Frita

Frita PetForums Newbie

We have found the best way is to scruff them by the neck. This kind of puts me into a trance. You don't want the neck part to tight so it will slip over their head snapped while laying them on their back. Then all you have to do is click the body snap.

If anyone knows a better way I will be listening.

8. Frita

Frita PetForums Newbie

I think you should do it as soon as possable. Woody's son has a Westy and we are best friends. But that is a little dog. I never met a cat but I heard we would get along great.

9. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

Thanks for the advice :)
    I think ill introduce him to my kitten then a while after i get him. I don;t think ill introduce him to my 11 month old cat though... think shes too old and too rough. At least the kitten can can grow to like him lol :p and give him someone to rough play with

10. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

I used to walk mine everyday, best way to get him in his harness was to let him drag himself out the top of the cage and loop the neck bit round him while he was doing that then distract him with some meat while I clip up the belly bit :)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

11. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

How old do they have to be before you can take them out???

12. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

ours is about 8 months old now and she can still get out of her lead, even on the tightest, we wanted to be able to take her outside but we cant trust it yet, hoping she'll grow a bit more. she just walks straight through it.

13. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

Ahhh that sucks. You should have a look at these harnesses

Patterned Ferret Harness & Lead Sets

This websites really good and the harnesses there are designed for Jills so they'll be a bit smaller... duno might help.

I'm hoping my boy will be big and chunky. But only time will tell lol :p

gesic likes this.
  14. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

Either that or see if you can find a harness designed for a smaller animal? Might work...

Peace
    Akai-Chan

15. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Ive never had a ferret but did see someone walking one the other day, it had a harness on and looked really happy!

16. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

a kit is a bit small for a ferret harness, you could try a rat harness.

17. ferretaddict

ferretaddict PetForums Junior

Hiya, Am newbie to the forum but have 4 ferrets which we take out whenever we can. I know the harness can be a pain (the best have velcro which are adjustable without the clips jabbing your baby) but so much worth the effort. We take ours all around the lake district and they love it. Some are better walkers than others so we just let them tell us when they have had enough (climbing up legs is a good sign). I always pick my up when dogs are around (although I have 2 dogs and 2 cats who are fine) you just dunno what can happen and some dog owners can be intolerant. Be prepared for lots of attention after someone has asked you for the 20th time 'is it a rat/squirell/dog the need to go into a quite corner and scream 'It's a ferret you moron' is quite acceptable alternitavely visit ferret couture and purchase a tee shirt which says that. Happy walking

18. snowbunny

snowbunny PetForums Newbie

I saw that tee shirt! I love it! It's a definite purchase for Christmas, along with their Rudolph jumper and one of their shoulder bags.

19. pudderz2011

pudderz2011 PetForums Newbie

at 14 weeks old i took mine out for a walk around the garden first

20. kelseye

kelseye Banned

hello i have 4 ferrets and i walk them all :) they have got ferret harnesses and i started to walk mine as soon as they fitted into them i walked them in the garden and round the house to get them used to it as they try wiggle out of them but with a lot of time and effort they got used to it quick and the they love it now:thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice