UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about to take Toby out for his evening walk & it's chucking it down. I was just wondering about what other people do about walking their dogs when it's raining.
Do you -
  • just have a shorter walk?
  • same as usual - it's only rain after all!
  • not bother??
As it's warm at the moment it doesn't bother me walking in the rain, the other night after such a humid day it was quite nice .... until it got so bad I couldn't actually see :eek:
I was going to take Toby out for about an hour (usually longer if it's nice) but know that he isn't keen on the rain... should I still take him out for an hour as it's good for him to get exercise or not be too cruel & take him for a shorter one?
I don't know what I should do for the best ....:confused:

·
Registered
23,245 Posts
I dont bother if its really raining. Too depressing with my lot. If they are on lead Heidi shakes and whines if a raindrop lands on her and the other 2 mooch as far behind as they can get. If they are off lead they walk so close behind me I end up kicking them in the head with my heel!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Longer :lol:. Everyone here only walks their dogs in the nice weather so we the dogs can get off with no worries and they love getting wet and manky tbh - they are newfoundlands so i suppose it's in their nature lol! x

·
Registered
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At the moment mine are getting longer walks if it rains to make the most of them being able to run around without overheating.
That's what I was thinking .... we had a couple of evening where it was too hot so had shorter walks & no ball chasing. We then had a few evenings where it was nice, not too hot so had longer walks & ball games again but tonight .... bad luck Toby; I think we'll be out for the hour!! :lol:

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
:lol: Depends who you ask...the Lurcher and JRT would happily stay at home if it's raining, Sidney, Cromwell and Cooper would go out whatever and Tiz will just go along with whatever the others want!!! I can't say I've ever not walked because it's raining, I just throw coats on the oldies and wimps and they suffer the same hour walk they always get!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I hope Toby doesn't grumble too much.

My dog isn't keen on rain if we're heading to the local park, but she's always up for longer walks in more exciting places. If only I felt the same way!

Janet

- later on: just been. soaked through. but the dog loved it!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
only difference in our house is the wellies have had to come back out instead of the sandals:)alfie goes out in all weathers and would drive me mad if we had to stay in all day anyway.Plus the added bonus -there was only the 2 of us in the park yesterday:thumbup:

·
Registered
14,973 Posts
I'll wait to it leaves off or settles down but if it's not gonna do either I will just go out anyway with a medium walk

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm just about to take Toby out for his evening walk & it's chucking it down. I was just wondering about what other people do about walking their dogs when it's raining.
Do you -
  • just have a shorter walk?
  • same as usual - it's only rain after all!
  • not bother??
As it's warm at the moment it doesn't bother me walking in the rain, the other night after such a humid day it was quite nice .... until it got so bad I couldn't actually see :eek:
I was going to take Toby out for about an hour (usually longer if it's nice) but know that he isn't keen on the rain... should I still take him out for an hour as it's good for him to get exercise or not be too cruel & take him for a shorter one?
I don't know what I should do for the best ....:confused:
I take the same walk as I normally do. I have an excellent, waterproof, breathable coat for me and also one for the dog!

She still needs her exercise and it's good for me as well. ;)

The dog has a raincoat for two reasons:

-One, she was not much for long walks in the rain before I bought it for her

-Two, she stays wet for about 5 hours, and I got tired of finding wet spots on my couch and bed after we'd returned from walks in wet weather! :eek6:

I really bought the coat for her for my OWN convenience, but it had the unintended effect of making her more comfortable with rainy walks! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
haha.. I was thinking about posting something about walking in the rain when I got back from our lunchtime walk earlier....
The rain wasn't 'too' bad but we just went out anyway.
Only I made the schoolboy error of going down a quiet 'public footpath' <--read 'overgrown weed-fest' - which, last time we walked there wasn't too overgrown and dry.
Today?
My jeans were absolutely SOAKED! :lol: Right up to the knee!
Every bramble, weed and bush had grown about 2 foot (or so it seemed) since last time!
Got in, changed back to work gear, dried Baxter off as best I could (why oh why does he want to eat the towel when I'm trying to rub him down!! :p).
So, yes, back to topic, we'll go out in the rain.. will remember my wellies next time :p

·
Registered
16,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We did our walk; about 1hr 15mins & a few games of ball despite the rain. He was ok once we got going; it's just the looks I get when we first venture out.. :( I just didn't know if maybe I was being a bit mean forcing him to have a long walk but it's good for him (& me).
Anyway it gave me the chance to wear my lovely new purple wellies (with dogs on) & anorak ....I'm SO stylish nowadays!!!

·
Registered
23,245 Posts
Id be interested to hear what other toy breeds think about walking in the rain?
Im sure my lot have a whole different criteria as to what is important in their lives. (mainly consists of cuddles, kisses and a nice lap to lie on!!):rolleyes:
Although someone pinched 2 hobnobs earlier I forgot to put away so I'll have at least one hyper doggy!LOL

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Well once we are out in it my dog is fine, he will stay out for ages, but he knows when it is raining or not and mostly he has a long lie in and refuses to get out if bed, only to make his way to the door, look around the corner and run back to bed. He isn't impressed by it, he'll only make the effort I think when he really needs to wee. I get excited by the sound and sight of rain :D

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I usually try and delay going out if its heavily raining as i know i'll struggle to get Throp past the driveway without him doing a mule impression. If its only light rain we tend to do normal length walks but i will shorten it if its chucking it down as neither seem to enjoy being out in it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.