Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Walking dogs alone?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SEVEN_PETS, Nov 20, 2012.

1. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Hey

Do you walk your dogs alone? Do you feel safe? Does it depend on the environment ie woods, fields, beaches etc?

Does it also depend on your gender?

2. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

I'm female and I walk mine alone 99% of the time, I don't like going on joint walks with the OH as we disagree on what to do all the time so it's just less stressful to go on my own. I always feel safe, but I will admit if my dog was not a large type that I would not. I can certainly look after myself but I would feel a bit on edge walking in woods etc. if I didn't have Kes with me, on the streets I have no qualms about walking around whenever on my own or with my dog. I will add I live in a city, if I was in the country I wouldn't mind woodlands etc. so much, but you never know who will be about in urban woodlands.

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Female walk my dogs alone 99.9% of the time - they are 3 small dogs that would be useless if anything happened.

I live in a pretty 'nice' area I walk 95% of the time in my local area - either pavement, country park or Beach all within walking distance of my front door.

I've never felt worried - in the cold wet winter nights I tend to stick to the pavement walks as the beach and country park have no lighting and I'd be scared I'd loose the dogs.

I do carry a bright torch now after it was suggested on another thread to shine in somones eyes if I ever felt threatened to give me time to move away. However so far it's been only used for assisting in the spotting and picking up of dog poo in the dark ;)

4. Beth17

Beth17 PetForums VIP

The majority of my walks are on my own but never feel worried as we don't go out too late when its dark and I have two large boxers who although wouldn't harm a fly they do make people cross the road :)

5. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

I'm female and walk my dog alone quite often- i've walked him in dark in 'dodgy' parts of the city where i used to live, in fields, in woods and taken him on walks in remote countryside.

Yeah generally i feel safe- not because of my idiot dog though ;) he's so very friendly- i have been 'flashed ' twice in one park and my wee guy wanted to go say hi! I've had friends who work in the police station ring me once also to say don't walk your dog in this park- just got a call about a naked man walking around masturbating (it was 11 am!)

I think the dog puts people off in general (not the drunks- the always want a chat and to see my dog), but i just enjoy my walks.

Thing i worry about is finding a deqad body (why is it ALWAYS dog walkers) this freaks me out.

And managed to freak myself out up a mountain forestry track on my own- that was rather due to me watching a freaky movie the night before and my healthy imagination:D- idiot that i am ;)

I have no objection to going out in the dark in the morning- at night though i'll choose more carefully where i go if dark.

#5 Julesky, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  6. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

More often then not i take them out on my own, i go through our local woods, across fields, down lonely lanes, and i can only think of a couple of scary experiences. I can sometimes i get a bit unnerved when its getting dark or really early mornings when its poor light, but thats just been my over active imagination at work lol

7. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

I walk the boys alone 90% of the time(i am of the female persuasion) and never feel unsafe. Then again i live in a tiny village and am perfectly capable of hurting any would be attackers...or Tummel will attack them for me(he's very protective).

to be fair in a village full of small/toy breeds and the occasional spaniel or collie i think having Tummel and Dan(aka 2 big dogs who notedly show interest in people that walk past) is offputting enough :blush:

even when i took Tummel to Paisley i never felt unsafe, could be having not only Tummel but Dino(flipping huge GSD) around :)

8. tiatortilla

tiatortilla PetForums VIP

i'm also female and walk alone mostly. i feel safe nearly everywhere - again, tia's a "scary" type so far more off putting to anybody untoward than say, a yorkie lol! i find woods a bit creepy, mind but i think that's my problem as opposed to it being unsafe, because we're in the countryside. also it's harder to spot other dogs than in a field, but i don't really worry about my own safety, just tia's.

9. StephanieJoanne

StephanieJoanne PetForums Junior

i think i may push my luck abit with regards to where i walk alone but the best places are always the secluded ones.....
    ive seen a fair few weirdo's while walking my dogs in the woods, id probably crap my pants if i didnt have niro with me but lucky for me niro would never let anything bad happen to me....
    and i dont think anyone would try anything with 7 stone of snarling muscle protecting me...
    not that im saying he's vicious coz hes not, hes a sweet heart but i know if something did happen he would do everything he could to keep me safe.....:)

BUT
    with all that said yea i pretty much s**t myself when im walking places on my own haha...i always imagine someone will sneak up on my and stab me or something !

10. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I'm female, live on an estate nicknamed the Bronx and walk my dog alone. I feel safe enough even though Spen's not exactly a scary breed. Only reason I don't go through the woods at night is the wild boar, they scare me lol.

11. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

I feel perfectly safe walking alone that said I do generally walk on MOD land and i think the possibilty of personnel training is enough to keep the unsavoury types at bay.

I love walking in the woods in the dark and do so much to OH and my mothers annoyance :D But I only ever see one or 2 people who I know.

I'm more on my toes on a pavement walk after dark.

TInk is great company but would be little more than decorative in a situation, possbly a bit of noise if really pushed.

12. lipsthefish

lipsthefish PetForums VIP

Are you my long lost twin :eek: I'm exactly the same :eek: :eek:

In general though, we walk the dogs together 99% of the time and if I'm walking them alone it is in day light and is in the fields at the top of our street where I can see and be seen by loads of houses.

We have a beautiful wood in our village and as a child I played there all the time, as did all the village kids, now I would be too scared to go there alone, I think it's more to do with my anxiety about life in general because nothing bad has ever happened to anyone in the woods and if you do meet someone there they are walking their dog too and you've known them all your life. I don't walk in the dark, either with hubby or alone but again that's just my own fears, everyone knows everyone here and it's a very safe place to live.

13. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

I walk mine alone and generally don't worry about it much. When I was living in a big city I was the same, went out wandering for miles with the dog as a teenager no issues.

We are so much less at risk than the media would have us believe. :)

My mum used to get flashed loads when out walking our old dog though (I never did, always mum :lol:) she just used to give them an arch look and say something like "I wouldn't be so keen to show that off if I were you" :lol: It's a miracle she never got into more bother to be honest!

14. laurahair

laurahair PetForums Member

I either walk my dog alone or with my 3 small children, who would probably be more useful to me than Tess who is incredibly gentle with no protective tendancies at all ;)

I don't worry about walking in the dark down quiet country lanes or along more urban roads, having said that I walk everywhere alone whether I have my dog with me or not, I'm used to it. Basic precautions when it's dark, no ipod on, torch in pocket easily accessible, mobile handy too.

15. I walk Dex alone most of the time, though often at our usual park we meet up with others and then walk around with them and their dogs.

I won't walk him alone in the dark, nor very early in the morning or late at night. Nor will I take him alone to the park if it's before around 8a.m. or after 4p.m. simply because I know there have recently been a few muggings there.

16. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

There's a lot of muggings on our local park too.

The culprit is said to be hairy, black with white patches, will take you by surprise and leave you empty pocketed for any food you had. It's a real menace. :blush:

17. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I don't like wooded areas on my own. Get a lot of people my age even gathering and making a fire/getting smashed there. A lot of people walk by our local river but dogs go missing down there etc a fair bit and its quite woody so I don't go usually.

I wouldn't like to walk round the fields on my own in the dark, I'm a big wimp :eek: Luckily I can do the big walk in the day with mine.

18. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I walk 1-4 dogs at any one time. On my own. I'm female. None of my dogs are particularly scary. Even the Shepherd mixes are that un-scary that they invite kids to run over and hug them. Bad idea with one of them of course. The only one I have faith in protecting me is my little collie cross and even then it'll be a lot of noise.

I walk in woodlands mainly. And live in a village in between 2 not so nice places.

But I have a fishwife voice when the dogs misbehave so I'm probably more scary than they are.

19. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

I walk my dogs alone because everyone else in my family is a lazy *insert word here* :p

Where I live there hasn't been a serious crime commited in years and years, I feel safe :) never felt otherwise.

20. laurahair

laurahair PetForums Member

I forgot to add-my dog is muzzled as she is very much not cat/small furry safe, but people assume she is vicious and then tend to avoid us ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice