UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bertie has started scratching, just looked at his coat and he's got a lot of dandruff:(

Looked on google and found about walking dandruff, cant see any mites under magnifying glass but wondered if it is walking dandruff mite, anyone know if theres a shampoo that would cure it? off the shelf preferably:D

He has been to the vets before for itching but they couldnt find anything:rolleyes:

Heres the pics.
This is around his ears.

And on his stomach, doesnt look much on the pics but it is all over most of his belly:(

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
When I used frontline spray years ago from memory I was pretty sure that did cheyietella mite just looked it up to be sure and fipronil that is what frontline is made of seems to do it.

So apparently does selemectin, which is in stronghold.

·
Registered
503 Posts
There's lots of reasons why he could have got a bit of dandruff. My cocker used to get it when I changed her food and when I bathed her in certain shampoos - even the evening primrose one from Groomers. It could be different wash powder too. If he's been frontlined then it's just the process of elimination I guess. I use Kelco Dr.Hypo shampoo which has given me the best results on my cocker's coat (I did use herbal essences once when she had got pood on by one of the danes :cryin: so was in a rush! but her coat was beautiful afterwards lol but I would never recommend this - I think I was just lucky and rinsed it out really well)

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I used frontline spray years ago from memory I was pretty sure that did cheyietella mite just looked it up to be sure and fipronil that is what frontline is made of seems to do it.

So apparently does selemectin, which is in stronghold.
He's already done with Stronghold, perhaps I should try Frontline?

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
He's already done with Stronghold, perhaps I should try Frontline?
Need to be careful though certain ones dont mix and shouldnt be used side by side with other things.

Just wondering if with him swimming a lot and getting muddy and wet and it seems to be worse under his belly around the ears where there are nooks and crannies that hold moisture and take awhile to dry out, it its a mixture of that causing the dry flaking skin and dandruff, some dogs get it with central heating too. I know hes a retriever and thats what they are meant for, but just wondered if that could be causing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.